PDA

View Full Version : Computer to buy/customize

dragonwrc
08-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Hello all!

Just wanted to know what type of computer do professionals in the industry use for game development and movies (i.e. PC or MAC) and why?

I want to be a 3D modeler/animator and probably do VFX as well. Reason being, I want to be able to practice on my own, in addition to taking courses. The classes I'm in right now uses MAC, but is that the best or industry standard?

Finally, if I were to buy a PC or MAC to create 3D modeling, animation and VFX, what specs in a computer should I be looking for to ensure optimum performance w/o slow down? Should I purchase in a store like Best Buy or customize my own?

Apologies for multiple questions, but your help and/or advice are greatly appreciated!

refract
08-22-2012, 06:39 AM
PC on windows for every company I've worked at in Los Angeles.
Except for one company, they used windows with bootcamp on a mac to run windows apps. (I guess its because most apps are ported mainly for windows)

ndeboar
08-22-2012, 07:00 AM
All the "big" houses i've worked at run PCs on Linux. Smaller all Windows so far.

Srek
08-22-2012, 09:43 AM
That way -> http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23

dragonwrc
08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
AWESOME!

Thanks everyone...your responses have been very helpful!

olson
08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Just wanted to know what type of computer do professionals in the industry use for game development and movies (i.e. PC or MAC) and why?

People will have varying opinions about this. In my experience there are almost no Mac computers used in production. There are a few around for editing or the art department but the overwhelming majority of machines in production are non-Apple. There are plenty of reasons why but talking about them will inevitably lead to a Mac debate which isn't the point.

Finally, if I were to buy a PC or MAC to create 3D modeling, animation and VFX, what specs in a computer should I be looking for to ensure optimum performance w/o slow down? Should I purchase in a store like Best Buy or customize my own?

Best Buy is the last place I'd look. You'd be doing yourself a huge favor learning about computer hardware and setting up your own machine. Figure out the budget you have to work with and then go from there.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.