PDA

View Full Version : Creating Scrat's fur(Ice Age Squirrel)

oceanclip
08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi there

I have just used the particle system to see what I can create, I have this rendered image, I have used three particle settings. Though, I need some hints on how to create the fur seen on the Ice age character's tail http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/2600000/Ice-Age-2-scrat-2667479-1024-768.jpg

My rendered scene doesn't look anything like the fur on the tail. I did try youtube for clips, but the tutorials aren't directed at anything like this. I suppose I'd have to thicken the all three particle settings.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4532/0001mk.png (http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4532/0001mk.png)

Thanks.

oceanclip
08-25-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm still not there, but I have tweaked the scene more now, I'm only using one particle set. 25,000 particles. I used the particle view to shape the work in progress fur.

I'm not to sure on what I've done to get the white mixed with the ginger colour.;)

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/9122/furaugust252012.jpg

oceanclip
08-31-2012, 04:45 PM
The title appears to mislead, as if this is a tutorial. Sorry people. I wish.:D

I've since tried different settings, no luck. I sent an email to the person who made the hair tutorial a year and a half ago, no response so far.:hmm:

sensenku
09-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Maybe, u have to try to download or buy the Venom's Lab 2? Because all of Venoms Lab 2 is about Fur.But if You want I can help You.

oceanclip
09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm only looking for free tutorials, 3D isn't a longterm interest or career.

Thanks.

roofoo
09-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Venom's Lab 2 is Creative Commons license, I'm sure you can find a torrent online somewhere (yes it's legal to download).

oceanclip
09-06-2012, 01:19 PM
I see the part of the DVD talks about using different particle systems to create fur, most probably very similar to that of Scrat's tail.

I have left some comments via Blendernation on what hardware is required for the effective use of the fur section on Venom's Dvd, as there is a brief review.

The only realistic project of interest I can complete is the pixar lookalike or attempt of an eye, a tutorial clip exists of it via youtube.

I have some projects in mind, but my hardware has limits, just creating complex scenes is far too slow. I just can't be waiting for four hours, and besides I only own one computer, and have to share it.;)

LOL 3d has got to quick and brief in my situation, though not a problem with the correct tutorials and up to date hardware.

Thanks for the information, the Venom dvd looks good.

DanielWray
09-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Better shading / lighting, self-shadowing/ shaded hair and a little bit of particle grooming and you'll get that 'scrat' fur look.

The rendering times will probably be quite high with the self-shading / shaded hair, but it will look nice.

Have a look at the add-on for one of the recent Blender versions which adds 'quick' hair set-ups. You can look at the generated hair material(s) and figure out what the key settings are to achieve nice hair. Don't forget a lot of the look is also dependent on the particle system settings, lighting, and a few shading / rendering settings.

oceanclip
09-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Daniel, that isn't a problem, the problem is not having up to date hardware to create, process and render quick results.

"Better shading / lighting, self-shadowing/ shaded hair and a little bit of particle grooming"

How much memory will I need to navigate in blender's 3d window while it freezes up, and then the render itself.

Pentium 4, 2.26 Ghz, 1.5GB of RAM, 512 MB GFX card.

I need double the processor and the RAM to get quicker work/render times for that specifi scrat fur tail look? Just having messed around with it to get that second result, the PC was carrying a load.

Actually, I looking at it from the view of creating it in full. Since I don't have that sort of hardware, I need to think small. So just a handful of particles/fur.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2012, 03:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.