PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on this Final Gather flickering problem?

Digit
08-20-2012, 03:51 AM
Hi all,

I have been doing a little modeling and rendering practice at home recently. Ive been rendering with Final Gather out of Maya 2013.

Ive almost got it to where I am happy to call it a day but alas, I cant quite iron out this annoying flickering quality around the window area. You can only see it when its moving so Ive uploaded this turnaround to vimeo. It's a little harder to see when compressed here but you can best see it in the window around the halfway mark.

https://vimeo.com/47838224

I have been fiddling with the settings for the last couple of weekends to no avail.

Would appreciate any feedback or advice on this problem before I start to work on my secret project!

edit: Or is this just a downside to Final Gather? Would I be getting better results with something else?

Thanks!
Digit

fantapeople
08-20-2012, 06:47 AM
You could try setting your render to "project FG points from along camera path" or something to that effect. That's supposed to reduce flickering in animations, although it might just be when the actual camera is animated but hey, it's worth a try.

Digit
08-20-2012, 06:04 PM
You could try setting your render to "project FG points from along camera path" or something to that effect. That's supposed to reduce flickering in animations, although it might just be when the actual camera is animated but hey, it's worth a try.

Thanks but I tried that. Its better but still glitchy.

MikeBracken
08-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Are you incrementally adding pionts to the FG map ? This is the way to calculate FG in an animation with no moving objects.

Regards,
Mike

Digit
08-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Are you incrementally adding pionts to the FG map ? This is the way to calculate FG in an animation with no moving objects.

Regards,
Mike

I think that could be it. I tried but Im not sure Im doing it right. Do you know what the correct way to do it is? Thanks.

mr Bob
08-22-2012, 04:42 AM
FG in Maya has never really been that good to be blunt. An old trick I have used before to is to set the light falloff . start to zero and end to 0.0001 , this way you get a nice render without the occlusion. Then just render a occlusion pass and comp.

B

Digit
08-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Ok, thanks. Probably wont get back to it till the weekend but I'll give it a go.

Digit
08-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Mike Bracken was on the right lines.

I experimented with various combination of settings and eventually got it right.

Seems I had to set the Final Gather Mode to Optimize for animations and set the Rebuild to off.

Yay! Done!

SuperHero
08-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Other than the mentioned tricks. you could use fgshooter as well

Bitter
09-22-2012, 02:19 AM
Try this:

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/fgshooter-ui-for-maya/

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2012, 02:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.