PDA

View Full Version : Blender on Android.

DanielWray
08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
This post may be moved to the Blender section; I figure since it involves a well-used platform that it should go in here, the CG General Discussions sub-forum.

Without further ado I give you Blender 2.63 running on a Galaxy Tablet - I assume it's a version of Android higher than 2.3; that is the minimum requirements, along with an ARMv7 chip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ono28J_Yk&feature=youtu.be

My thoughts on this at the moment are that it's a nice trick to show friends. Clearly the menus, and general interaction will require some work done on the user-interface in order to make it a viable application to use. But overall with work progressing so fast I can quickly seeing it become a workable application, and an application that offers full 3D modelling, sculpting, animation, rendering, and compositing on a mobile device.

It's also worth mentioning that the Blender Game Engine also runs on Android. I won't link to it as it's on another forum, but if you're familiar with Blender's most popular forum you'll know where to find it.

I would love to hear thoughts and opinions on this, and perhaps, where the future lies for these devices in regards to multimedia applications; clearly the Galaxy tab is fast enough to boot Blender in a few seconds, and to allow smooth interaction. Something which I did not expect a mobile device to achieve.

grantmoore3d
08-19-2012, 10:12 PM
I have a hard time imagining that being even remotely usable without a keyboard and mouse, but I applaud the effort to bring it to a new platform and make it even more accessible.

marcuso
08-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Aren't there bluetooth keyboard and mouse available to the android? This is pretty cool! Now, where's the iPad version? :)

DuttyFoot
08-19-2012, 11:01 PM
pretty cool stuff, just add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse like marcuso said and your set

grantmoore3d
08-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Oh, I didn't know you could do that. Well... I guess that solves that problem. I still don't really know why you'd want that on a tablet, but having the option can't possibly hurt!

FreeSpirited
08-24-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm just a beginner with this program being guided with instructions from the purchase of two books "Blender for Dummies" and "Blender Foundation".

From my working with modeling I cannot imagine trying to create an object with a screen the size of portable small devices without a real inconvenience. I would prefer to work with a desktop and the largest size monitor I could possibly obtain for use with this program.
Seems to me that working with such small portable devices will block out a lot of detail view you may need to accurately create and adjust vertices. The screen size on these portable devices seems too small to keep everything you need for control in view.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2012, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.