PDA

View Full Version : Color/tone problem with charcoal and pencil

BartW
12-01-2003, 10:31 AM
I haven't been able to figure out a way to get the charcoal and pencil to work exactly like they do in real life on a normal piece of paper.

The pencil is always a tip of a sharp pencil and never kind of wears off like in real life, nor I am able to softly build up gradual tones. It's always too hard and too sharp....could it be that I'm just using too much pressure ? When I set the color to dark grey, I also never get the right variations in tone either.

Really weird. Perhaps I should try to set up my artpad up with less pressure - just wondering if it could be the limitation of the pencil and charcoal tools themselves.

Thanks! :)

Lunatique
12-02-2003, 02:25 AM
The default pencil brush that comes with Painter sucks. You have to design your own.

Here's the one that I designed to mimic real pencils:

Start with the Cover Pencil, and then tweak:

Dab Type: Circular

Stroke Type: Single

Method: Cover

Subcategory: Grainy Soft Cover

Pressure/Grain/Size Pressure: Pen Pressure

Size: 2.5

Opacity: 25

Gain: 76

Resaturation: 50

Bleed: 18

Jitter: 0

Kogepan
12-13-2003, 06:46 AM
Nice settings, lunatique. I like that a lot.

Bart, for the default pencil it helps to set your tone to something very very light. Then it should build up more gradually.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.