PDA

View Full Version : Girls. Bikinis. Science.

jrwells
12-01-2003, 05:25 AM
I need a little help from all you real flash creators out there. This site is not quite going public yet, but it is something that I have been working on for a local bikin contest at a bar myself and a few friends hang out at. I have been experiencing a few problems for different computers, and need a few more people to check it out and tell me what you are seeing. I am also taking crits on things that work/don't work, and any improvements you could see. This is my first attempt at flash, so any thing helps.

http://www.thursdaynightout.com

Jonbojangles
12-01-2003, 01:50 PM
First off great job for your first time. Some things that I noticed are
1.. when i roll out of differet navigation locations the menu doesnt always go back to its default state causing overlapping navigation.
---to fix it the code you put on the regular button to return to the default state you can also copy over to all of the other buttons and just _root so it targets the parent timeline, and remember to use the instance name you gave each movie clip navigation.

This is also the same for the pictures of the girls when it scales. You do have a mouse out on them i noticed, but if you move the mouse to quickly the scale doesnt get noticed.
--Id try the same thing as above putting code on the other girls pictures

2. When I click on a picture of the girls they open up over top of each other and they do not always load on top, im assuming you have them layered in a certain order, but people dont always click in that order, I clicked the booty shots then the other pics, which wasnt a left-right style. Thus they did not always open on top and I had to close the window to get to them

--possible fix would be checking out www.flashkit.com or actionscript.org to see if you cant find some code which always loads the pictures on the top layer. You could also go another route and use javascript to window.open a new window with each picture, and im sure there is a few other possible fixes.

If you would like the javascript for an image popup I can send it to you along with an example of how to call it from flash

Thanks for the critique you gave me also, im currently signed up to 3 forums, and that was the first good reply ive recieved.

Great job for your first site, and great bar.

Ian Jones
12-02-2003, 12:37 AM
SuperQuickCrit(tm):

The HTML text on splash page does not suit the san-serif font of the header images and overall feel.

"Sacrafice" is spelt "sacrifice"

Horizontal lines on main page are a tad too visible and are a little distracting and make the text harder to read.

Overall as has been said already, it is an excellent first flash site.

jrwells
12-02-2003, 04:01 AM
Thank you both for the great input. I was told that I misspelled "Sacrafice" the other day and have not had time to change it, but thank you all the same. My spelling skills have never been the best. And I had not even noticed that the lines were too strong, but I will definately tone them down.

Jonbojangles, is it possible to intigrate the java without it opening a new window, that is something that I am totally against in flash. But I will definately check out those sites for some usable scripts, thanks a lot.

I have another question, how would I go about this, when someone clicks on a picture and the larger version shows up, how can I make it so that you cannot click on or rollover the pictures under neath?

Jonbojangles
12-02-2003, 05:00 AM
Nah the Javascript on click opens up a new window which automatically resizes to the size of whatever picture is being loaded.

A possible fix in flash would be doing variables to toggle things true and false, and then to do a check each time on the pictures.

Like initiate all the values to false, then on click have the one your clicking on turn true and the other pictures turn to false, and
then write some code which says if they are true run the resize function. Then on the x which closes the window have it reset the value to false.

I personally think the window.open would be your best choice, but thats just me.

Hopefully somebody knows of a simpler better way to go about what you are talking about, but that is how I would try to do it.

Ian Jones
12-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Glad we could be of help to you.

on (press) {
if (allowClick==true) {
gotoAndPlay ("largeImage");
}
}

Using a variable 'allowClick' or something similar you can switch it to either true for false based on when and if an image is being viewed already. So, when a large image is viewed you set it to false and therefore when someone clicks on one of the other thumbnails it checks to see if the variable is true, but because it is false it doesnt allow the action to be executed.

Let me know if you need any more clarification.

jrwells
12-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Ian, definately something I am going to try working out. Thanks

Jon, I will look into the open.window option, not for this project but I have one coming up where it will definately help out, I read an article a while back on what was happening with flash and how some people were killing it. Basically the writer mentioned that a lot of people are having problems with how to add large amounts of text (like mission statements) into flash sites, and he talked about one site that opened a new html window to display this information. Then he proceeded to bash the creator of this site because it disgusted him so much that he quickly shut it down without reading it. I strongly agreed with one of his points, and that is: when you go to a flash site you expect a certian level of entertainment and interaction, and when a new window pops up that does not include flash, then you feel let down, almost like the creator did not know how to make it work in a creative fasion with the rest of the flash animation. It just seems like a cop out to me, and while it might have been nice to have larger pics on the site, I am not willing to step outside of flash to get it done.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.