PDA

View Full Version : character wip

Spacemonkey :P
12-01-2003, 12:38 AM
!Hi guys.
I built this model for a mod.. which has since been cancelled and I never got to see him textured. So having some spare time on my hands (the game company I worked for went into liquidation) I decided to have some fun with him. I dont have much time at the moment - relocating for a new job but comments are crits are apprecaited.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/spacemonkey/Mods/Parasytic/kahnampo.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/spacemonkey/Mods/Parasytic/kahnampo1.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/spacemonkey/Mods/Parasytic/kahnampo2.jpg

crits welcomed

ironikart
12-01-2003, 01:18 AM
Looking pretty good! - 1 crit, are the black parts finished?... if so, they look a little too black and I can't see much of the detail.

I love his proportions though, those hands look pretty scary.

l3d_davi
12-01-2003, 08:30 AM
realy pretty good :)
cool texture work cool model realy good

marshall6912
12-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Th textures are good although my personal opinion is that the waist is too thin.

Prs-Phil
12-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Well done, texture and model are great.
I also like the style of the model. (Proportions)
good luck with relocating :)

12-02-2003, 12:57 PM
thanks guys, ironikart the texture still needs a little work so some of the black areas will receive attention. ;)

NicoDN
12-03-2003, 03:35 PM
It's a good stuff, sure. Very impressive monster.
What to say ? Just a personnal crit, on the front view, the horns on his head looks like the Statue of Liberty. A bit strange on such creature.

TethyS
12-03-2003, 09:22 PM
scary :0

1 crit: the line that defines his backmuscles is too dark (the straight line running from his neck to his ass.)

baaah888
12-03-2003, 11:58 PM
I like the model and good use of texture space could use a bit of work on colour he looks a little glossy at the moment. but the muscle detail looks good still.

which company in the UK did you work for (muckyfoot?)

12-04-2003, 12:32 AM
NicoDN - I can see the similiarity to the statue of liberty, but the horns/headdress were part of the original design and I think they are icon of his power and status (relates to the characters role in a narrative.)

TethyS yeah the spine needs some love!

baaah888 - yeah I was working for Muckyfoot.. good guess consider that theres been so many developers go under recently. I was working in the Newcastle office, :D you work in the area?

baaah888
12-04-2003, 12:46 AM
I applied for a work placement at the newcastle office about a week before they went bust thats why i guessed mucky foot.

Pity they went bust as i really liked startopia.

The games industry seems like its in bad shape at the moment. It needs to get a little stability soon, hopefully before summer 2005 when i finish my degree. Im on a year out from teesside uni BA games design. just doing portfolio work and mod work.

I would like to try and get some freelance work but i really dont know how to go about getting any.

You got any options in the NE or you gonna have to move south.

12-04-2003, 01:26 AM
baaah888 - bad timing :) maybe you should try reflections for some work exp or Brat designs (http://www.brat-designs.com/main.html) Theres a few other companies around but they all seem to be doing driving games..
I cant see the industry becoming any more secure in the near future, theres next gen consoles to be considered .. higher production costs and the continual obession of publishers to all compete with titles at christmas.
Make the most of your out! I was doing mod work/ indie games before I got into the industry and its usefull experience.
At the moment the uk job market is totally saturated with experienced people so finding freelance work will be tough and generally you need experience to be considered to work remotely.
Theres nothing in the Northeast for me... or any of my workmates actually we are all moving south for work. I'm heading down to the Birmingham area to work on the Call of Cthulhu series;
http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/awards/index14.shtml

baaah888
12-04-2003, 02:09 AM
Headfirst rock, I got a friend on a programming placement there. He says its pretty cool the stuff they're doing.

I had 2 interviews at Reflections for animator positions, sadly im a modeller. I know 4 guys there and the one who got my animation place says he's done no animation and is currently scripting levels. So they must either not trust placement students animation skills, or really need level scriptors.

brat is a cool place but one of my lecturers was a games designer for BRAT and he said they wouldnt be taking placements :(

Eutechnyx have taken on a programmer placement (my flatmate)

Venom dont do placements

Pitbull studios is a bastard to get to since i dont drive, and also dont do placments

Atomic Planet in boro need to move office before they can take any more staff on.

So yeah opertunities are limited in the North, Im probably gonna go south when i graduate, Which is a shame as i do love the north. Especially my beloved newcastle united.

As you say as well, Freelance you need to be proven, which sadly im not (even tho i reckon i could do most things other games modellers could )

Im currently doing a HL2 mod and making a game with the guy on placement at eutechnyx, So i am getting ready.

But in the mean time im gonna try to learn as much as i can get my portfolio looking great, get a "first" on my degree then apply to every games company in the UK and get a job modelling. (if only it was that simple)

12-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Sounds like you tried everyone in the area.. except these guys ;

http://www.mere-mortals.com/

Heh, worth a try I guess. :)

baaah888
12-04-2003, 11:37 PM
actually i did, I forgot about them as I never got a reply.

Also they're working on converting PS1 games from japan and GBA. So dont really need modellers as much as 2d artists and coders.

ahhh well im in no rush, Im happy doing what im doing at the moment. (getting up at 12, and working when i want.)

onelung
12-05-2003, 09:20 PM
looking good. i tied to read all that so i hope i'm not repeating. character looks cool, ya might wanna match the leather strap on his head to those around his sholders, keeping that dark brown, and trying to make it look more like the horns are coming out of the strap. and just a personal thing the skin loks a bit orange... i know is a demon. and where the rubys (things) come out of his chest, maybe make indentation in the skin that those are pushing out. yea i agree about the black glove, maybe consider making all the leather the same kind? and add some tears in the pants goin up his legs.... since they are so tattered at the bottom might be that that would continue up the pants.... and maybe wear them out a bit more.

later

FAT CAP
12-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Hey - sorry to hijack the thread a bit - but I live in Newcastle and am currently working for a small games company called Fusion Digital and know the trouble it can be trying to find software houses round here.

I was just wondering if you would mind PMing me the addresses/contact info you have for the games companies around these parts. I have most of the big ones and some other smaller ones, but NOWHERE near all of those that you posted BAAAH!!!! I didnt even know there were that many in the North-East!

I might also be able to help out with your MOD if you are still working on it...anyway - I would be really grateful if you oculd get in contact and help me out on this one ;)

DreiGrasheir
12-08-2003, 05:41 PM
the textures are looking nice, but some of the muscles look a little flat. try adding a little more highlights on the actual muscle (very subtle) and an equally subtle amount fo darkness in the center of the creases. l ike the skin texture you made with the liver-spotty kinda looking things, it adds a lot of creepyness to him. I also agree the black tex needs some work, but you alreay said youre working on it, so...

good luck with the job search. I had no idea so many companies were in the UK either. I 'm definitley considering sending out some info to companies there as soon as my reel tapes come back from the production house.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.