PDA

View Full Version : gtx 580 FPS in Mudbox

martijnvandalen
08-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Hello everybody,

What kind of FPS can one expect to have in Mudbox using an GTX580 card? I guess this is kind of subjective, as it will probably depend on the number of polygons ans the amount of texturing applied to that model..but still curious as the highest i'm seeing is around 150fps (but usually below 100), and on youtube movies i'm seeing people having (much) higher values (but i don't know what kind of machine these people are using). Also when I'm moving my mouse towards the Viewcube in the viewport there is a noticable lag, as if the system notices I am about to move the object and is pulling all resources in anticipation (or maybe its just a HDD bottleneck thing).

thanks!

ps: using mudbox for texturing, not sculpting.

System:
Win 7 64b
AMD Athlon II X4 640
16GB
GTX580 3GB
DirectX11
Mudbox 2013

MisterS
08-19-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm using 2012, and similar spec PC apart from I'm using Phenom II 6core 3.2GHz.

It's a great card for Mudbox without a doubt. I run out of RAM before anything else.

You can use a load of 4k paint layers and it still performs, I just did a little test with a 32,000,000 poly head, 2xdiffuse, 1x bump, 1x spec maps, all 4K 16bit tiffs (overkill) but there's no noticable lag. Maybe sometimes on the first stroke but this is a pretty high res mesh.

I tried to really push it and can sub-divide to 131,000,000! I was able to sculpt just about but the smooth brush crashed it - ram on out RAM.

Once over say 8million polys, the next sub division can take a moment to calculate but then it works fine.

martijnvandalen
08-19-2012, 12:14 PM
double post

martijnvandalen
08-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow that's good to know, thanks MisterS !!

I did some testing after posting this message, and it turned out that disabling the viewcube took care of most of the problem. Weird right? Well I'm a lot happier now anyway :thumbsup:

Btw: any special things you installed for the card to work with Mudbox (eg DirectX, driver version x.xx, etc) or did you get this performance just by Plug & Play? tia!

MisterS
08-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Plug and play.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2012, 11:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.