PDA

View Full Version : crit on lip sync/facial animation

Andrewty07
08-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Had some free time today so I snatched up a random 11secondclub sound file and got to work on a sync. Let me know what you think, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBTABWd-gA

YashaP
08-12-2012, 02:43 AM
I feel like most things happen to early and too quickly.
You don't need to hit every single sound so just pick the main ones and hold them for a few frames so we can actually register the mouth shapes.

Narntson
08-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi Andrew,

I agree with what Yasha said, the whole sync is about there just move it 1-2 frames later. The "Do" could use a more rounded Oooo mouth shape to contrast the wide shapes. The eyes lack focus, pick just one spot where the other character is supposed to be. Then amidst that have him trail off in thought, shifting his eyes. I think that could make him more sincere. Also you could animate the spine and head quicker into a contrasting pose to phrase it more. These may or may not work, although it is good so far!

Andrewty07
08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Thank you both very much for the input, do either of you have a particular approach to lip sync? any tricks for distinguishing what mouth shapes to ignore and what must be shown to make it feel right?

Narntson
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I always try to go for a definite closed mouth/lips touching (2 fr. minimum) when doing M, P, B, as when I was learning that some of my sync would get rubbery without it. Also trying to animate to every minutea of a word causes jerkiness for me. However I do want to bring out the nuances of a clearing throat, flexing the face, anticipation, to bring more life into it. I love watching the movie Rango, where that style does a great job of this IMO.

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.