PDA

View Full Version : Roy Disney Resigns!

mikkermik
11-30-2003, 10:46 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm

That's a pretty strong statement about DisneyCorp and Eisner. I'd like to read the rest of his letter.

GRMac13
12-01-2003, 12:19 AM
What a shame. I have to agree with Roy about Eisner stepping down. He's single-handedly ruined the Disney name over the past decade.

pogonip
12-01-2003, 12:34 AM
I wish I could shoot someone at Disney 45 $/ person to get into the park and it's the biggest waste of time ever !! 3-hour lines for rides that are pathetic even from a childs standerds . The magic that made Disney great is no longer there with the people who have control of the company . All they see are doller signs unlike Walt who actually wanted to entertain people especially children .

vintagetone
12-01-2003, 12:40 AM
Most parents that I know no longer equate Disney with family entertainment. They are chasing the lowest common denomenator as are the rest. Maybe they ran out of fairy tails, and couldn't figure out what ingredient made the past adeptations so endearing. They are certainly using a different recipe these days.:hmm:

Ikarus
12-01-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by pogonip
I wish I could shoot someone at Disney 45 $/ person to get into the park and it's the biggest waste of time ever !! 3-hour lines for rides that are pathetic even from a childs standerds . The magic that made Disney great is no longer there with the people who have control of the company . All they see are doller signs unlike Walt who actually wanted to entertain people especially children .
I've gone on vacation 4 times in the past 12 years to orlando florida since I was a little kid. During the peak season(summer). I think your over exaturating with the 3-hour lines. The most I remember waiting on line for some of the newer rides that everybody was waiting for was 60 minutes or 90 minutes tops. Every other ride had some waiting time, but it wasn't that long. Besides it's not like Disney is the only theme park with waiting lines:shrug:. Universal Studios, Island of Adventures, Six Flags all have similar if not longer waiting lines.

Besides they have an "Ez-Pass" system for most rides. You get your tickets for that ride, come back at the time stamped on the ticket and go straight in or with little waiting line, regardless of the regular line. Works like a charm.:thumbsup:

As for price of admission both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventures had higher prices of admission than the Disney them parks. All theme parks had a price of admission within the ballpark or $45.

I don't think Disney's slow decline has anything to do with tickets sales or waiting lines at all. To be honest the orlando theme parks seemed to be doing very well every single time I had gone there. I think most of their financial decline has to do with Euro Disney which has been struggling to bring in revenue ever since it opened, and their anination department which has been struggling since the late 90's.

Neil
12-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Is Drudge Report a credible source?

RormanKnockwell
12-01-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Is Drudge Report a credible source?
It's not just Drudge, check Google News:
http://news.google.com/news?num=30&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&edition=us&q=%22Roy+Disney%22&btnG=Search+News

This story is big news. Read the full text of Roy's letter in this thread:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007047

SheepFactory
12-01-2003, 04:27 AM
It is Eisner who needs to resign if you ask me!

FClub_TDurden
12-01-2003, 04:29 AM
Here is a snippet focusing on Feature Animation which has been run into the ground since Eisner and Stanton have taken control...

"Also included in his catalogue of complaints were the "creative brain drain", which he described as "real and continuing", and which was especially trying for Mr Disney who, as chairman of the feature animation division, has seen his empire whittled down by heavy lay-offs. "................................

"Under his control, the company was seen by virtually everyone associated with it as "rapacious, soulless, and always looking for the quick buck rather than long-term value, which is leading to a loss of public trust".

Unfortunately, this may not come in time to save 2d animation. In fact, Roy leaving is probably the ultimate nail in the coffin. I've heard numerous times that it was he protecting the brand ... and without him, Stainton will continue to follow Eisner's commands and screw up the company.

Also Eisner was #1 in a list of 10 ceos that are doing the WORST job!....how bout that for timing......the magazine article said that this is just further proof that Katzenburg now of DreamWorks was most responsible for the big hits of Disney's golden age including Lion King

Peter Reynolds
12-01-2003, 07:59 AM
How much does Eisner get paid again?

Kion
12-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Here is the letter:

November 30, 2003

Mr. Michael D. Eisner, Chairman
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Dear Michael,

It is with deep sadness and regret that i send you this letter of resignation from the Walt Disney Company, both as Chairman of the Feature Animation Division and as Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors.

You well know that you and I have had serious differences of opinion about the direction and style of management in the company in recent years. For whatever reason, you have driven a wedge between me and those I work with even to the extent of requiring some of my associates to report my conversations and activities to you. I find this intolerable.

Finally, you discussed with the Nominating Committee of the Board of Directors its decision to leave my name off the slate of directors to be elected in the coming year, effectively muzzling my voice on the Board – much as you did with Andrea Van de Kamp last year.

Michael, I believe your conduct has resulted from my clear and unambiguous statements to you and the Board of Directors that after 19 years at the helm you are no longer the best person to run the Walt Disney Company. You had a very successful first 10-plus years at the company in partnership with Frank Wells, for which I salute you. But since Frank’s untimely death in 1994, the company has lost its focus, its creative energy, and its heritage.

As I have said, and as Stanley Gold has documented in letters to you and other members of the Board, this Company under your leadership has failed during the last seven years in many ways:

1. The failure to bring back ABC Prime Time from the ratings abyss it has been in for years and your inability to program successfully the ABC Family Channel. Both of these failures have had, and I believe will continue to have, significant adverse impact on shareholder value.

2. Your consistent micro-management of everyone around you with the resulting loss of morale throughout this company.

3. The timidity of your investments in our theme park business. At Disney’s California Adventure, Paris, and now Hong Kong, you have tried to build parks on the cheap and they show it and the attendance figures reflect it.

4. The perception by our stakeholders –consumers, investors, employees, distributors and suppliers – that the Company is rapacious, soul-less, and always looking for the “quick buck” rather than long-term value which is leading to a loss of public trust.

5. The creative brain drain of the last several years, which is real and continuing, and damages our Company with the loss of every talented employee.

6. Your failure to establish and build constructive relationships with creative partners, especially Pixar, Miramax, and the cable companied distributing our products.

7. Your consistent refusal to establish a clear succession plan.

In conclusion, Michael, it is my sincere belief that it is you who should be leaving and not me. According ly, I once again call for your resignation or retirement. The Walt Disney Company deserves fresh, energetic leadership at this challenging time in its history just as it did in 1984 when I headed a restructuring which resulted in your recruitment to the Company.

I have and will always have an enormous allegiance and respect for this Company, founded by my uncle, Walt, and father, Roy, and to our faithful employees and loyal stockholders. I don’t know if you and other directors can comprehend how painful it is for me and the extended Disney family to arrive at this decision.

In accordance with Item 6 of Form 8-K and Item 7 of Schedule 14A, I request that you disclose this letter and that you file a copy of this letter as an exhibit to a Company Form 8-K.

With sincere regrets,
Roy E. Disney

Cc: Board of Directors

Neil
12-01-2003, 01:51 PM
I know the names and i know the positions... but can someone explain to me the breakdown in company control/direction between Eisner and Roy? i was always under the impression that Eisner had more control.

flipnap
12-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Unbeleivable.. I cant beleive it.. regardless of the good/bad connotations of whats happening, I just cant beleive it.. this is like witnessing ILM close down or something.. this is definitley a sign of the times.. I hope corporate heads everywhere are pricking up their ears..

Cinematography
12-01-2003, 03:10 PM
:banghead:

heavyness
12-01-2003, 04:34 PM
when someone quits, that has the same last name as the company, i would be worried. i wonder if this is going to shake up Disney, and to what extent.

did Pixar resign with Disney? or are they still talking?

CritterCre8r
12-01-2003, 04:39 PM
okay, I'll bite, even though I know there's a catch. I like to look at things from all perspectives. On the one hand Disney set the standards for what animation was in every decade I have been alive. All 3.2. On the other hand their stories are geared towards children, and often reek with sugar coating. Just like the Rockstar debate, they are only playing to their audience. So, on the third hand, love it or leave it, which is exactly what Roy did. He should start his own animation studio and name it something like...Disney.

flipnap
12-01-2003, 04:46 PM
What? I know we are all entitled to our opinion, and please correct me if I read your post wrong.. But your "sugar coating" theory is about as far off kilter as one could be about what happened here.. That aint the reason things are in the state that they are.. if it was, then why did they flourish 3 decades ago when they were doing exactly what you state was their downfall? the reason they fell was because of Eisner, and more indirectly for roy leaving him to be in charge for so long.. the mouse put a tie on and lost sight of what it was all really about, the children and entertainment..

CritterCre8r
12-01-2003, 04:56 PM
flipnap,

the sugar coating I refer to is the way Disney studios has drilled the fairy-tale mentality into the heads of children since the beginning of their existence. For instance, the women are always portrayed as docile and the men are swashbuckling advnturers. That is fine, and I'm not here to debate the necessity of role models for children. I guess what I am trying to say is that Roy should move on to begin a new animation studio that can break the boundaries that Disney has been trapped in to by their repetitive story lines and over-told tales.

Cinematography
12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Excite.COM (http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20031201/hle_bus-n30164763.html)
George Mitchell, presiding director of the board, said in a statement that Roy Disney and two other directors, Thomas Murphy and Raymond Watson, would have to leave because of the mandatory retirement age, which is 72.

Disney will be 74 by January, when the board is expected to pick a new slate of directors.
Luckily this stupid rule doesn't apply to the people over at 60 Minutes (http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml).
Most of them are in their 80s. :rolleyes:

Neil
12-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Flip- A lot of people agree with Critters POV

Neil
12-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Cinematography
Luckily this stupid rule doesn't apply to the people over at 60 Minutes (http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml).
Most of them are in their 80s. :rolleyes:

And their target audience is the older adults and they still do very good in ratings and their time slots.
So what's your point?

flipnap
12-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Flip- A lot of people agree with Critters POV

with all due respect, that dont neccessarily make it true.

Cinematography
12-01-2003, 05:11 PM
And their target audience is the older adults and they still do very good in ratings and their time slots.
So what's your point?
Age is just a number.

t-toe
12-01-2003, 05:49 PM
man... it's so true, after Frank Wells's death in '94, I haven't really liked any of their traditionally animated features. they lost their soul with Wells apparently.

coboman
12-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 2mellow

3. The timidity of your investments in our theme park business. At Disney’s California Adventure, Paris, and now Hong Kong, you have tried to build parks on the cheap and they show it and the attendance figures reflect it.

4. The perception by our stakeholders –consumers, investors, employees, distributors and suppliers – that the Company is rapacious, soul-less, and always looking for the “quick buck” rather than long-term value which is leading to a loss of public trust.

I think that here lies the truth. I no longer like Disney, despite the fact that I was brought up with its films, because they seem to me now like crooks.
Their films lack heart, like they only did them for money. The new characters are bland (The hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Hercules, The emperor), and I don't really care for them.
The only character I was glad to see in my las visit to Disney World was Buzz Lightyear (And to some extent Stitch).
But for the rest, I don't care anymore about Donald, Goofy or Mickey (my nephew is teased by their friends for having Mickey Mouse stuff).

The magic is gone and hasn't been brought back. What they need is fresh new characters in new and exciting adventures (Like the ones from Pixar).
And stop living in the past, and use the company as a money-making machine only.

I feel for Disney the way I felt for Apple just before Steve Jobs taking over again.

Mentat7
12-01-2003, 06:27 PM
All in all it is a simple lesson in free enterprise. Eisner has control. Roy does not. Eisner is not Walt ergo things will change. We just came back from vacation two weeks ago. We spent four days at the theme parks and finished up with a three day disney cruise. Overall I was a little disappointed in the parks. They were overcommercialized and did not possess the "bang" I had expected. Most of our "magical" moments were spent waiting in line for food, or standing for 30 minutes on the shuttle bus, or walking and walking and walking. Oh I expected most all of this so don't get me wrong there. But overall the experience was a little lackluster. The cruise on the other hand was a blast. It was the best part of the trip. In retrospect our family has decided to do a full 7 day disney cruise next time and avoid the parks altogether. :D

Neil
12-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Cinematography
Age is just a number.

And the top number used in advertising and marketing for figuring value.

The show is targeting an older audience and nailing it. So again, what is your point? If cartoons are made to attract kids and they get 75% of the target audience, then they'd consider it a success too. The show isn't trying to wow you with their beautful ancors.

Cinematography
12-01-2003, 07:00 PM
And the top number used in advertising and marketing for figuring value.

The show is targeting an older audience and nailing it. So again, what is your point? If cartoons are made to attract kids and they get 75% of the target audience, then they'd consider it a success too. The show isn't trying to wow you with their beautful ancors.
:rolleyes:

My point is that a person should not be forced to resign because of their age, especially if they're a behind the scenes person. Some of the smartest and most creative people I have ever met were in their 60s and over.

SheepFactory
12-01-2003, 07:01 PM
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/articles/12012003.1.htm

Jim Hill has a good article about this.

My Fault
12-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Wow, now Stanley Gold has resigned as well. What a crazy couple of days. Hopefully Eisner's fall will be forthcoming.

mikkermik
12-01-2003, 08:27 PM
And here's Stanley Gold's letter....

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-01-2003/0002067081&EDATE=

Kion
12-01-2003, 08:45 PM
there is a good debate about here at

animationnation (http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007047;p=1)

FClub_TDurden
12-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Wonder if the writing is on the wall now for Disney Feature Animation....recently Disney has been doing its animated feautures out of house and its growing. With the sucess of Pixar, Disney now is full funding the "WildLife" project up at CORE canada and is also funding animation projects at BLUR involving classic Disney characters....

This trend is continuing with the probable closure of Disney FL animation studios and now with a slimmed down Disney Burbank working on one full cg feature...what can be in store next...more outsourcing of animation?

My Fault
12-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Judging from what Roy Disney and Stanley Gold were saying on CNBC, this fight is only getting started. I also liked how Roy mentioned that Michael Eisner demanding that he not go visit his friend (Roy's that is) John Lasseter. I'm guessing Roy will be visiting soon.

This should be interesting.

rotaryman
12-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by FClub_TDurden
....recently Disney has been doing its animated feautures out of house and its growing.

Hehehe, recently? your mistaken, disney was one of the first to outsource work overseas.

nvvm
12-01-2003, 11:02 PM
In light of this I am going strictly Pixar from this point on.

JB
12-02-2003, 03:29 AM
Disney needs an enema.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.