PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Cintiq 12WX? Opinions please.

Dillster
08-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I accidentally posted this in the General Discussion forum earlier http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/images/emoticons/dumb.gif

I was wondering if anyone here uses a Cintiq 12WX and what you thing of them. Useful tool or gimmick? My summer job has let me build up a decent wedge of cash and for playing in ZBrush the idea of a Cintiq is starting to appeal to me.
I already have a 24" monitor and a Wacom tablet, and I wonder if already having that makes the idea of a Cintiq silly. I would hate to spend all that money (€1000 in Ireland) on one and end up leaving it in a corner gathering dust.

seanser
08-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I have one, bought a discounted model from the cintiq website about two years ago. It's a pretty useful tool especially for sculpting and texturing. However, I'm not too sure I would buy one now when there are mobile tablets with cpu's for sale that have the penabled pressure sensitivity, the 12wx has quite a few wires and isn't very portable. As far as having the ability to sculpt directly onto the screen it really can't be beaten, regardless of what option you choose.

Dillster
08-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks seanser. What tablets have pressure sensitive screens? That sounds interesting, if of course they would be powerful enough to run ZBrush at the very least.

Dillster
08-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Asus EP121 seems to have it all. A built in Wacom digitizer pen, 12" screen and works with PS, ZBrush, Maya etc. I found a lot of reviews on Youtube, here being one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1G9p4B9lY&feature=related

patfour
08-12-2012, 01:28 AM
[My apologies in advance for links to companies' US sites; they were the first results for my searches, and I hope they're still helpful.]

I was fortunate to borrow a 12WX for a few weeks when I was considering buying one myself--I ended up being very disappointed, but that's because I'd expected it to be portable enough for project meetings and travel.

The main piece of hardware is just as sleek as it looks in promotional images, but they don't show the cable running to its breaker box, which has another cable going to the wall for power, and two more cables going to the computer for USB and DVI (and in my case I needed a VGA-to-DVI converter as well). Setting all that up once and tucking the cords behind a desk would be fine if you didn't travel with it, but then why settle for just 1280x800 pixels to draw on?

As for pressure-sensitive tablet PCs, I believe that the Asus Eee Slate (http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/) has 512 levels of sensitivity (edit: ha, sorry, didn't see you already found that one), and that the Samsung Series 7 Slate (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1A-A03US) has 256. Their display resolutions are comparable to the 12WX, but they have more functionality and portability for a similar price range.

If you want higher resolution (albeit for a higher price), Fujitsu recently announced the Lifebook T902 (http://lifebook.ts.fujitsu.com/products/multiple-touch/lifebook-t902.html) convertible tablet with a 1600x900 display. I should note that, while some of their older Lifebook tablets are pressure-sensitive, I haven't found any documentation saying that's still the case for this new one.

It looks like there will be more pen-input options when Windows 8 is released; personally I got a cheap used tablet PC to tide me over until then. Best of luck!

Dillster
08-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks patfour. They all look good, I think the Asus probably has what I want and isn't too far from the Cintiq price. Being portable/free of wires and useable for other things gives the Asus etc. a big edge.

CKPinson
08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
From Fijitsu's American Website under the T902 Features: Note, it has dual so both.

Digitizer
Whichever model of Tablet PC you choose, it will have a digitizer of some type. The digitizer takes input from the input device and “tells” the computer its location on the screen. There are three different types of digitizer: the passive digitizer, the active digitizer, and the dual digitizer.
Active Digitizer
An active digitizer requires the use of a digital pen – or “stylus.” You can use the digital stylus to write text, draw, annotate files and simulate a mouse. The stylus also supports advanced features such as hovering, erasing, pressure sensitivity (the firmer you press, the bolder the ink stroke) and programmable buttons. An active digitizer is optimal for handwriting accuracy and signature capture.

Dual Digitizer
A dual digitizer employs both active and capacitive digitizer technologies. A capacitive digitizer senses the touch of a finger with very little pressure required to register an input. This relatively new technology is ideal for direct onscreen manipulation. A capacitive digitizer allows you to zoom, reduce and manipulate images and applications through the use of gestures.
A dual digitizer provides the ultimate computing experience by combining the accuracy of the active digitizer and the convenience and utility of a capacitive digitizer while allowing the user to seamlessly switch between the two.

CKPinson
08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm ordering one after my next check-! just bought my Canon t4i

Dillster
08-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks CK, you ae steering me towards the 902. This thread is getting more expensive by the post. ;)

CKPinson
08-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Yeah- I plan to get the 902 (already available at ShopFujitsu) but have to wait til I buy all the accessories for my new camera- so hopefully next month. Unless- mention of a new windows 8 machine wins me over but using windows 8, although good does have a few issues- my main issue is that PS6 has a nasty flicker in the back drop (most likely some video driver issue). The T902 seems like the best option available next to the Lenovo 230 just wish it had a better video option.

patfour
08-18-2012, 05:59 PM
From Fijitsu's American Website under the T902 Features: Note, it has dual so both.

Thanks for pointing that out, CK--good to know! That definitely makes it a strong contender for my next hardware purchase, but I'm also hoping there will be Windows 8 machines with pen input and 1920x1080 displays.

It looks like the ASUS TAICHI (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/asus-taichi-notebook-tablet/) will meet those specs, but its dual-display will likely add cost without much benefit for content creation, and I don't know how its N-trig DuoSense Pen (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/asus-taichi-n-trig-duosense-pen/) compares to Wacom tech. The ASUS Transformer Book (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/asus-transformer-book/)'s design might be more practical, but I haven't seen any word on whether it will work with a stylus or only touch. Another possibility is that, if a slew of pen-input computers hit the market with Windows 8, Wacom might react by updating their Cintiq line and/or reducing prices.

I'm still holding out, but if I needed a new tablet today, the T902 would definitely be my choice.

CKPinson
08-18-2012, 07:16 PM
I hear ya- I'm still waiting myself- I'd pounce on the FUJITSU in a heartbeat if it had more vid options- I decided to buy a camera first- that isn't even working out to well- bout to head out to a local shop and test out the Mark II. shall see- most likely will buy my next tablet around October or November

hvanderwegen
08-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Proud owner of an Asus ep121 11" 1280*800 Windows 7 tablet with ssd, i5 cpu, 4gb, dual digitizer (though I turned of the touch) with Wacom active digitizer/pen and gorilla glass.

In a word: bliss for painting,, Photoshop, Zbrush sculpting,... Not so great for pure opengl 3d performance, because it comes with an Intel video chip, but okay for low poly stuff.

A shame it got pulled off the market. During last year's Siggraph in Vancouver I took it with me to the Zbrush sessions, and could play along with the presenters, while everyone else could just watch ;-)

Truly a portable Cintiq - and truly portable, unlike the 12WX.

CKPinson
08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, that's my beef with these is the limited video options

Really like the Fujitsu and Lenovos but for around 2k they really need a better video option then freakin HD4000. Doubt the onslaught of incoming Windows 8 devices will have any better graphics than 4000, if only slightly

Hunter
08-22-2012, 04:01 PM
I have the Cintiq 12WX at work and it is pretty much relegated to being just a wacom tablet. I never use it as a monitor. It's too small and too hot. My hand starts burning up after a while. Can't recommend it over a nice monitor and a wireless Wacom.

CKPinson
08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
True. Tried the wireless ones or a 5 with a wireless kit? I've thought of this vs going to a slate or tablet pc- any thoughts?

So basically would it make more sense to get a laptop workstation with a great video card but no touch screen capabilities and a wireless intuos 5 VS a fujitsu or lenovo type table with touch screen and lower pressure capable screens???

fahr
08-22-2012, 07:24 PM
I really love my Cintiq 12wx, for what it is. It's basically a "poor man's cintiq" for me, since what I really want is the 22" model but can't afford it. As long as you don't leave your desk and can live with low resolutions, it will perform well for you. If you want to be mobile, then this isn't for you. The benefits of going Cintiq, however, is that it performs as well as your rig. If you need better mudbox performance, get a better gfx card, you don't need a whole new computer. Many tablet laptops are hugely underpowered. Additionally, you can paint with a full sized wacom pen. With a tablet, you must use the toothpick-sized pen that comes with it.

(/Rant mode on) I don't believe that Wacom has updated the Cintiq12wx since it's inception. C'mon Wacom, it's been years, UPDATE the damn thing with higher resolutions, LED, perhaps find a way to consolidate the cable clutter.

Wacom desperately needs some competition. Their slowness in updating, along with their horrible pricing makes me really love/hate them. (/Rant mode off) One thing that I can't complain about is their build quality. I've owned many Wacoms, and none of them have ever gone bad. Tough as nails, they are.

CKPinson
08-22-2012, 08:13 PM
If they were smart then they'd get with other companies such as Lenovo or Fujitsu and come up with a better solution- the one they have is good but less sensitive... also those companies need to realize adding a better graphics card would help with sales.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2012, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.