PDA

View Full Version : What schools and majors should I consider?

claritypeaks
08-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Hi I am interested in working with a company like Walt Disney or the Orlando Resort as a Concept Designer, Animator or Art Director.

Right now I am a Sophomore pursuing a degree in Computer Science and a degree in Electrical Engineering. I might have to transfer my Junior year and I would like to consider schools with majors where I can combine interests in Science and Art. So, as far as career aspirations-they could really go anywhere.

Any ideas on majors I should look at? Until I actually looked up careers today, I assumed that Computer Science and Engineering would take me into the field that I am interested in. Might I need to find something more art related?

And any recommendations on schools-preferably smaller schools?

Meloncov
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes, you want to study art in order to be a concept artist or animator. Which isn't to say that there aren't jobs for electrical engineers and computer scientists in the entertainment industry, but they're definitely not art positions.

Carnagie Mellon, Rochester Institute of Technology, and Texas A&M are probably the schools with the best reputation for blending art and technology.

leigh
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Yes, you want to study art in order to be a concept artist or animator. Which isn't to say that there aren't jobs for electrical engineers and computer scientists in the entertainment industry, but they're definitely not art positions.

This. While a technical background can help animators in terms of scripting and such, art directors and concept artists absolutely need an art background.

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.