PDA

View Full Version : Spline Toolset

Julez4001
11-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Looking at the head series ...got me wanan try spline out again..its been years.

So what new tools are in the arsenel?

And what old tools do ppl use as well?

SplineGod
11-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Julez4001
Looking at the head series ...got me wanan try spline out again..its been years.

So what new tools are in the arsenel?

And what old tools do ppl use as well?
I just use the same basic tools that are in there already.
I still find new ways to use them. If you do a search on flay under spline theres a lot of tools for splines that Ive added to my toolset.

proton
12-01-2003, 02:33 PM
Check out the Patchit Demos.....Hurley is a god :

http://www.hurleyworks.com/

Julez4001
12-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Antbody knwo when Patchit will be released?

proton
12-01-2003, 06:47 PM
I'll see if I can find out...but I can't wait....that tool is goingto rock!

bluavenger
12-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Would be a good idea to implement this tool in LW 8! ;)

proton
12-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by bluavenger
Would be a good idea to implement this tool in LW 8! ;)

I wish we could have every tool in LW8....but then I wouldn't like the price :P

SplineGod
12-01-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by proton
I wish we could have every tool in LW8....but then I wouldn't like the price :P

LOL, Call it Lightwave Classic and you could charge the old price. ;)

m.d.
12-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Just outta curiosity.... what were the old prices when the earlier versions were released(before 5 ect)

NanoGator
12-02-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by m.d.
Just outta curiosity.... what were the old prices when the earlier versions were released(before 5 ect)

$2,500 rings a bell.

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 02:07 AM
Lightwaves price drop preceded Mayas by a few weeks I recall.
Its a good thing they did reduce it too. :)

telamon
12-05-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Lightwaves price drop preceded Mayas by a few weeks I recall.
Its a good thing they did reduce it too. :)

I was shocked to see a group of forumers complaining about that. They said blablabla Maya cheaper means less development in future releases blablabla.

They must be people with a full time job in a big studio. Not self-employed graphists.

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by telamon
I was shocked to see a group of forumers complaining about that. They said blablabla Maya cheaper means less development in future releases blablabla.

They must be people with a full time job in a big studio. Not self-employed graphists.
LOL! No kidding. Under the old Newtek regime prices were continually rising to the point where not many could afford. Im glad the current people at Newtek put a stop to that. :)

Julez4001
12-05-2003, 06:02 AM
Back on topic:
Larry, whats your top favorite 3 Spline tools and why?

What do you recommend for sharp corners and making circles that eventually be metanurb_ed.

Facial Deluxe
12-05-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Julez4001
Back on topic:
Larry, whats your top favorite 3 Spline tools and why?

What do you recommend for sharp corners and making circles that eventually be metanurb_ed.

Hehehe Allow me to be a little of topic will you ?

Each time I use Bandsaw, I can't help but think of Spiderman (the movie). When Spidey has his first fight at that show, his opponent's name is Bone Saw (if I'm no wrong), and I can hear the crowd screaming "Bandsaw ! Bandsaw ! ..."

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 06:41 AM
Thats a hard one to answer. One one hand I think I have every spline tool out there in one section in my organic modeling tab.
I use them on ocassion when I have a specific need.

I use splines a lot but on a single model I use them sparingly. I think that the power of splines comes from the fact that they are guides. We can clone with them, extrude with them and patch with them and a ton of other uses. In character modeling I use them mainly as a way to quickly layout my polys so I can really begin the modeling process.

So with that in mind. I thnk the best spline modeling tool I have is my hotkeys. My view when it comes to modeling is to reduce the amount of time spent thinking and more time actually building and creating. This means I like to use a workflow that is both efficient and simple. I use ctrl t to access the drag tool all the time. I remapped my ctrl x keys for add points.

When I create splines I try and work off existing points on already existing geometry. This keeps me from having to weld points or think about welding them. So I pick a couple of points, hit crtl p to make a spline, ctrl x to add a point and ctrl t to drag that new control point.

My 2nd best spline modeling tool are the primitives in the Create TAB. When I model a Torso for example Ill lay out its basic proportions using a simple circle. Ill make one, copy it and then paste it where the neck will be and then rotate and reize it to have the proper orientation. Ill do the same for the waist and arms. Ill have those 3 circles then I select points off of them and hit crtl p to make splines. This will give me splines for the neck, arm socket and waiste. I then pick a point of the neck and one on the waist and build a quick cage up that way. Heres an example of what I mean:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/demo.gif

Heres another example. I can use basic primitive to allow me to layout a form that has a very specific flow I need.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/helmet.gif

My 3rd favorite spline modeling tool is the STENCIL tool.
Sometimes I have an object that I need to model detail into. I will use the stencil tool to cut in geometry that I use as guides. If I smooth shift the stenciled portion, smooth shift with ZERO outset and them immediately do a POINT MERGE I create strings of 2 point polys along the edge of the stenciled area. I use a free plugin called Polys2Curves (my 3.5 favorite tool with splines) to convert the polylines into splines. Ive used this technique to also derive splines from objects that have the right shape but completely wrong flow to them. The splines give me the form and by directing them the way I want, the correct flow too.
Take that helmet in the previous example. I could have roughed it out quickly with the CAPSULE tool but the flow would be all wrong. The polys all converge on the pole. By using the stencil technique I could create spline guides that preserve the form but would give me the flow I need to build the helmet properly.

For sharp corners I use on rare ocassions subpatch weighting but its current implementation is only useful sometimes. I usually just cut in new geometry. :)

For circles I create ones that can be split into quads if I can using the polygon split tool.

Facial Deluxe
12-05-2003, 06:46 AM
Point Merge + Poly2Curve is a smart one :thumbsup:

faulknermano
12-05-2003, 02:13 PM
@warnings
main{
selmode(DIRECT);
if(pointcount() < 2)
error("<br> Error.");
selmode(USER);

editbegin();
// search for common poly

poly1 = points[1].polygon();
poly2 = points[2].polygon();
k = 0;
thePoly[1] = nil;
for(i=1;i<=poly1.size();i++)
{
for(j=1;j<=poly2.size();j++)
{
if(poly2[j] == poly1[i])
thePoly[++k] = poly1[i];
}
}
if(thePoly[1] == nil)
error("Unable to detect common poly.");

p2 = pointinfo(points[2]);
p1 = pointinfo(points[1]);
vec = (p2 + p1) / 2;
recycle = false;
thePoint = addpoint(vec);
ccstart[1] = nil;
ccend[1] = nil;
for(h=1;h<=thePoly.size();h++)
{
ccstart[h] = thePoly[h].hasCCStart();
ccend[h] = thePoly[h].hasCCEnd();
// recreate the curve
appended = false;
a = nil; b = nil;
a = polyinfo(thePoly[h]);
a[1] = nil; a.pack(); a.trunc();
for(i=1,j=0;i<=a.size();i++)
{
b[++j] = a[i];
if(a[i] == points[1] || a[i] == points[2])
{
if(i < a.size())
{
if((a[i] == points[1] && a[i+1] == points[2]) || a[i] == points[2] && a[i+1] == points[1])
{
if(appended == false)
b[++j] = thePoint;
appended = true;
}
}
else
{
if(appended == false)
b[++j] = thePoint;
appended = true;
}
continue;
}

}
if(thePoly[h].isCurve())
newPolys[h] = addcurve(b);
else
newPolys[h] = addpolygon(b);
rempoly(thePoly[h]);
}
editend();
if(ccstart[1] != nil || ccend[1] != nil)
{
for(i=1;i<=ccstart.size();i++)
{
if(ccstart[i] == true)
{
selpolygon(CLEAR);
selpolygon(SET,POLYID,newPolys[i]);
toggleCCstart();
}
if(ccend[i] == true)
{
selpolygon(CLEAR);
selpolygon(SET,POLYID,newPolys[i]);
toggleCCend();
}

}
}

selpoint(CLEAR);
selpoint(SET,POINTID,thePoint);
}

guess what this does.. :D

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Im afraid to ask!
Thanks Lernie :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.