PDA

View Full Version : Photography help

PaulyBarnes
11-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

I am trying to model my wife for the hell of it, I am trying my absolute best to get her straight on and a profile from the same distance. As much as I try to match her photos in Photoshop to prep for modeling, they never seem to match up properly. Like the eye will be lower on the profile and vice versa with other facial parts. :eek:

Any tips on taking these photos? Do I have to be a specific distance away? Any help would be great.

nostromo_va
11-30-2003, 07:01 PM
1. Use a tripod
2. If your camera has a zoom - then move camera back and zoom in - it "flattens" the image.
3. Put a peice of tape on the wall in one view that is top of head, or meets the chin, then, when she turns, get her to stand so that tape matches the same target.
4. If she is cute, make sure she is naked and post the images here. :drool:

Okay, so 4 is optional...

PaulyBarnes
11-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Nostromo thanks you have been a great help!

Option 4 coming up! :rolleyes:

SplineGod
11-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Hey Pauly,
Ive found that sometimes its just not possible to get the facial landmarks to line up perfectly. In that case I pick one view to be an absolute reference and the other view to be a relative reference that I can use to get the proper width of the mouth or eyes even if the heighth doesnt match up for example.
Heres a good thread about modeling heads:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104046

faulknermano
12-01-2003, 02:14 AM
even if you dont have a zoom, you have to move back, and try to shoot it at a high resolution. if you are using film, then resolution wont be a problem (esp if you can film scan it).

wgreenlee1
12-01-2003, 04:08 AM
4. If she is cute, make sure she is naked and post the images here.

even if shes not naked ...post the pictures here....lol

SplineGod
12-01-2003, 05:56 AM
I know Ive seen Milton Berle do this bit somewhere... :)

NanoGator
12-01-2003, 07:14 AM
Part of the problem you're going to run into is perspective. Farther away stuff gets smaller and vice versa. That's a contributing factor to the problem you're having. It might help to take close up pictures of each aspect of her face from the front and side angles. You'll still have the perspective problem, but at least you can narrow it down because you'll be closer to each element's nodal point. From there, you can line up each piece to one photo.

Piece of advice: You might want to run 'Taper 2' on the final mesh of her head just a smidgeon. It'll sort of remove some of the perspective problems. You'll also want to make sure that the camera's horizon is paralell with either her eyes or her nose.

Wish I could give ya more definitive advice, but I haven't made a model of a head (or body) from photos yet.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.