PDA

View Full Version : render layers

sachin3d
08-09-2012, 02:00 PM
hi, I'm new to rendering, I need help with render layers.
I know basic of render layers and I'v successfully generated them also. But my question is that is there any particular sets of passes I should render for my animation like AO, Diffuse with shadow or without shadow etc. I'm confused what all passes should I render for my animation in general. I don't want to complicate my rendering as I'm doing it for my animation showreel. Any help will be appreciated.
thanx in advance.

yogeshsherman
08-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes you need to associate passes with each layer.
If you are compositing your shot then you should know your passes otherwise ask the compositor.
The most common passes are:
Diffuse
Specular
Reflection
AO
Shadow
And Indirect
though you can increase the passes according to your requirement.

sachin3d
08-10-2012, 02:40 AM
Yes you need to associate passes with each layer.
If you are compositing your shot then you should know your passes otherwise ask the compositor.
The most common passes are:
Diffuse
Specular
Reflection
AO
Shadow
And Indirect
though you can increase the passes according to your requirement.

thanx Yogesh bhai for the suggestions...I just want to keep minimum passes as I'm rendering for my show reel only...don't want to complicate things...looks like passes mentioned by you should be good to start with...thanx again...btw if I'm not wrong you worked in MPC Delhi right....

pap87
08-10-2012, 04:01 AM
If you really want minimum then don't render any separate passes. Render your beauty and keep it at that. You're not trying to show rendering knowhow if you are making an animation reel. No need for over-complications. :D

sachin3d
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
thanx pap87 for suggestion...will keep in mind...

yogeshsherman
08-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah I used to work in MPC Delhi and you have a brilliant memory.
I don't know your scene lighting and render layers but since you want it to be minimum ,I would recommend atleast render AO pass which also helps you in enhancing your presentation.

It's great to know you are in singapore.

SePu
08-10-2012, 07:31 PM
and if you can add mattes ... that can help you to CC certain parts of you models, etc

sachin3d
08-12-2012, 03:40 AM
thanx SePu and yogesh...i'll try out with AO and matte...thanx again for the suggestion... :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2012, 03:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.