PDA

View Full Version : harddrive screws loose

kwshipman
11-30-2003, 05:54 PM
The other day I was moving stuff arround in my pc to clean it and I noticed that some of the screws holding the HD into the case were loose and couldnt be tightened. No matter how much you turn them they just keep spinning. It seems like the threads in the HD might have been striped or something because the screws are fine. I am concerned about the vibration on the case and driveif it is not secure. Does anyone know how to fix this? I also thought about putting a little bit of rubber on the sides of the drive to prevent any vibration but there is no room between the bay and the drive.

jsa2001
12-01-2003, 01:05 AM
Try a small washer, or larger screws the ones that screw you're side panals to the case. You can also try putting some white ptfe tape on the screw threads the stuff that plumbers use or get some thread locking liquid.

gmask
12-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Soubds like the screws were the wrong size to begin with..

elvis
12-01-2003, 01:17 AM
pc parts manufacturers in their infinite wisdom have created holes for roughly three different types of screws. see if you can track down a bigger size and tighten the bugger up.

having said that, if the hard drive has a small plate underneath it to support it's weight, then you only really need a couple of screws to hold it in place anyway. if however the screws are taking the weight, then definitely make sure there's 4 in there nice and tight.

kwshipman
12-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by gmask
Soubds like the screws were the wrong size to begin with..

they were the ones supplied with the drive:shrug:

I'll see if I can find a bigger screw that will fit though.

gmask
12-01-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by kwshipman
they were the ones supplied with the drive:shrug:

I'll see if I can find a bigger screw that will fit though.

Well it wouldn't surprise me if teh on supplied were to small..

I have also found that packing or duct tape works great in situations were screws aren't available. ;-)

singularity2006
12-01-2003, 08:00 AM
I stripped the threads inside the screw hole... or whatever was in there holding it in the first place. I gave up and just have it on three screws instead of four.

UrbanFuturistic
12-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Well, I thought I stripped the screws on my hard-drive for quite some time, then I moved everything into a new case (better for airflow this one) and happened to use different screws. Tight as a nut (sorry :p) ever since.

Didn't do the drive any damage mind (so far as I can tell).

regards, Paul

GregHess
12-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Freaking computer manufacturers.

Just like the car ones. Its like the whole engine compartment is 10 mm bolts...but out of the blue there is a star shaped bolt that requires a damn special tool.

5 bucks says the new BTX motherboard standard will have "special screws."

Nothing like having a giant bin of random computer screws made obsolete.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.