PDA

View Full Version : Nudge Script

wtbuser
08-08-2012, 11:00 PM
I've been trying to hack together a hotkey to move the selected object based on the grid size relative to the camera angle. So far I haven't had much luck. I've look all around the net and haven't found much but a script that is nothing but broken. Any tips? Thnaks.

NaughtyNathan
08-09-2012, 12:25 AM
these are some very old scripts of mine (done for Maya 3.0 about 10 years ago) but most of them should still work fine in 2013 (and nudge should do because I still use it myself (and I don't think it's been edited since))

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alisonandnathan/data/MEL/maya/scripts/

nudge.mel is the one you want but if you don't have the basic command-line scripting skillz to actually set it up and use it you can use the installNudge.mel script too. This just automatically sets up 12 hotkeys to bind the nudge function to your shift/ctrl-cursors.

nudge works on whatever is selected, transforms or components, vtx/edge/face/UVs

if you want to know what any of them do look here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alisonandnathan/data/mel.htm
but the page links are broken so you still have to save/download the files from the first url...

wtbuser
08-09-2012, 12:37 AM
I found these the other day but when I tried to install them it game me syntax errors. I'm still learning all this jazz so I probably messed up, I'll try again a few more times :). Right now I'm using a gimped "move -relative -x 1;" etc temporarily for my hotkeys. I was so spoiled my modo heh.

Thanks!

NaughtyNathan
08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
simply copy both MEL scripts to here:

\my docs\maya\scripts\

then launch Maya and type into a MEL command line:
installNudge(then press enter on the keypad)

That should work, if it doesn't, please let me know what the errors are and I'll take a look at sorting it out, I really need to sort out all these old scripts anyway, some of them are still useful...

wtbuser
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Okay thanks, I was doing something stupid through the scripteditor. Sweet, changed a few keys and I got it working perfectly! You're a life saver! I couldn't imagine life without my nudge. Works excellent, so much better than my hobbled together hotkeys I had made before...

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.