PDA

View Full Version : Best laptop for CG?

ORO2
08-07-2012, 05:07 PM
I've recently moved to a small flat in London where a big desktop pc isn't really an option.

Im therefore in the market for a high powered laptop perfect for 3ds max, C4D etc.

My budget is around 1000, potentially a little more.

Ivy bridge and 16gb of ram would be ideal.
What sort of graphics card should i be looking for?

i quite like the look of these dell ones - http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&

what do you guys think?

Im new to the laptop scene so if anybody can suggest a model that would be suitable, or even some helpful pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Dillster
08-11-2012, 11:56 AM
The link you posted isn't working for me. PC World and Currys have some good laptops suited for CG for just under 1000.

typh0n
08-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Try searching on eBay for a second hand 2011 macbook pro 17inch. The resolution and real estate that comes with it is very nice. Add an external and you have a pretty powerful home set up.

cgbeige
08-24-2012, 11:05 PM
or get a refurb on the Apple store. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/17

oceanclip
09-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Laptops can actually run software like that, are they good for photographers? The screen display isn't as good for editing photos, the colour problem.

I'm not an expert in laptop computers, I wasn't aware they were good for CGI. They still aren't good for gaming.

I thought you'd always need a desktop for animating water or complex scenes.

cgbeige
09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
well they aren't as good as the current generation of desktops but my 2011 2.5GHz quad-core i7 MacBook Pro with 16GB is much faster than a quad-core desktop computer from a couple years ago. You don't need a desktop to do CG work, but it helps for rendering and heat reduction. But with Thunderbolt, there are fewer reasons to rely on a desktop, other than expandability and more cores.

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.