PDA

View Full Version : 10 second club animation

LFGabel
11-30-2003, 09:31 AM
Greetings,

This my most recent entry (http://members.shaw.ca/lfgabel/LeeGabel-2003-11.mpg) to the 10 second club exercise.

I'm sure most of you know about it already, but for those who don't, it's where a group of animators get a different 10 second audio clip every month and we animate something to it within that month (more details about the club here (http://www.10secondclub.net) if you're curious).

I believe this audio was from the Seinfeld movie "Comedian".

Animated in Motionbuilder, everything else in Lightwave.

C&Cs always welcome. And yes.... there is isues with the hands and some of the facial expressions... :) Ah well... had a deadline to meet.

carbon8
11-30-2003, 10:22 AM
LFGabel,
Nice animation! Smooth. Good luck!:thumbsup:

telamon
11-30-2003, 03:38 PM
excellent Lee, I like the animation.

It seems that there is a small delay between the voice and the animation sometimes. It could be a problem with my Windows Media Player in fact :blush:

Good luck :beer:

Infinity3d4life
11-30-2003, 08:28 PM
LFGabel how long have you been using Motionbuilder? how would you rate it as far as ease of use, setup, etc??? Nice animation by the way.. i would put a little more emotion into the hands, and arms just to give some secondary motion to it... His facial animation is really good, but perhaps a bit more body language would really give it that extra punch...:thumbsup:

LFGabel
11-30-2003, 09:17 PM
carbon8: Thanks... although it's far from perfect, it not bad considering I only had about 8-9 hours to animate it.

telamon: Thanks. I don't know why the audio doesn't sync up for you... it even plays fine on my old 166mhz machine. It's most likely a windoze problem. Have you tried Quicktime?

Infinity3d4life: Yeah, the secondary animation (or lack thereof)really bugged me. I'll take more time to do the next one and get important feedback like this sooner. I got on board with Motionbuilder about a year ago now. It is pretty easy to use I find. I do have experience with rigging, but I don't know if I'd ever be able to put together a rig as robust as Motionbuilder's. I'm sure it could be done, though, with the right setup in Lightwave, or any package. However, Motionbuilder is limited to biped/quadruped. What I like about it is:
- The rig (obviously), being able to pin translation/rotation on any part of the control rig and have the body react to it.
- Animating in layers is also pretty cool.
- The workflow between Lightwave and Motionbuilder and back is very easy. There is a few bone/weighting issues in Motionbuilder, but since I am not rendering there, that's not an issue for me.
- Mocap is applied pretty easily too.

The bottom line for me is it gets me animating quicker and I can get a shot done quicker. That being said, you can do all this in Lightwave, Messiah, Maya, etc. given enough time and experience (and sometimes just as fast).

Motionbuilder is a tool I really enjoy working with, but it's not for everyone. Download the demo and try it out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.