PDA

View Full Version : Macro to Plug-in Workflow

bcoka
08-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I have no doubt that the title is wrong on several levels, but regardless, I find it will best help convey my issue. :)

Namely, I'm just getting into MEL scripting (for rigging purposes), and I understand how to make a procedure that will duplicate a joint chain twice, to create IK and FK versions, while also making a switch (custom 0 to 10 IK/FK blend float attribute). However, this (with my method) only works for specific joint chains for which I know the exact number and the names of joints.

So where do I go from there? How do I go about, say, building a UI which will load in a chain based on a selection, read, for example, the string data associated with each joint, and duplicate chains and add suffixes accordingly, not knowing how much memory it will need?

On a more general level, how do I interactively load data for scripts to work with?

If there is a lot to it, I won't mind a link to a learning resource.

Much obliged! :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2012, 08:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.