PDA

View Full Version : Any doubts about Linux stability? Check this one...

Mazer
11-30-2003, 06:53 AM
Ok, here's the story, I whas trying out the rig that Andrew Silke as kindly donated at 10secondclub.com, and, as it comes with shelves and icons in bmp format, I have to convert them to xpm to work in Maya Linux....
So it's 6:40 in the morning here... So I did a stupid thing, in Kde I browsed to the directory, selected all the icons and right clicked- open with Gimp.....
Linux users are caling me names at this point...
Obviously this made the sistem open all the icons.... each one in a seperate session of gimp....

That's 41 diferent gimp sessions! 123 separate windows:eek: And you know what? on my simple amd 1200 with 512 mb ram, the sistem didn't even complained! All this wile readind the rigs reame and listening to a CD! It even let me get a screenshot...

there whas no noticable slowdown after all the files were opened!

http://www.geocities.com/cordeiro3d/gimp123.jpg

I dare you to try this in windows! Try to open 41 sessions of photoshop....:D

JDex
11-30-2003, 07:54 AM
challaaannnggggeee!!!

you like apples?

http://www.endpointmedia.com/cgtalk/tech/350large.jpg

350 - 90px X 90px Bitmaps

866PIII w/ 896M PC133

:D

singularity2006
11-30-2003, 08:12 AM
That looks like a bunch of empty files. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would imagine it would be much more difficult for your computer to handle that if all those blank images have pixel data of some sort, like icons or whatever. Try opening that and screen shot and we'll be convinced of other forms of stability. =)

JDex
11-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Alright... basically i made a new file at 90 x 90 and saved as a bitmap then copyied it 100 times. opened them all and it was smooth... figured i'd see how far i could take it... this is where it started to slow... i deleted some until i came up with a nice round number and took the snap shot.

how can i prove that to you? :shrug:

Edit: Image above updated.

Also I thought it would be interesting to try it on my new laptop...

http://www.endpointmedia.com/cgtalk/tech/800large.jpg

800 - 90px X 90px bitmaps

It definitely could have handled more, probably many more... there was no noticeable slowdown except for windows explorer refreshing, which was minimal.

see system specs on image.

JDex
11-30-2003, 09:36 AM
It turns out that I didn't open 800... after further analysis PS can only open 400 files at once... i checked in the Window>Documents menu and saw that to be the case when i tried to open 2000.

JDex
11-30-2003, 09:59 AM
One more and I'm done...

This is 300 - 990px X 990px bitmaps

http://www.endpointmedia.com/cgtalk/tech/300large.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, the system was slugish and it took a while to load... but to all those who say windows isn't stable... the proof is in the pudding.

stephen2002
11-30-2003, 02:06 PM
You don't get it; Mazer had 41 separate instances of GIMP open at the same time. Try opening 41 separate instance of Photoshop at once! Granded GIMP is much less memory intensive than Photoshop so it's not quite a fair compairson.

Brim
11-30-2003, 03:16 PM
An empty session of photoshop takes up 36 megs of ram on my system (Athlon 1900XP, 1024MB Ram, WinXP SP1, Quadro DCC). Multiple that times 41 and you get 1476MB Ram in usage for photoshop alone. Most likely XP wouldn't open all the sessions and just crash.

JDex
11-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Hmm, well... that seems like a ridiculous flaw in either the gimp or linux that the system would even open more than one instance of the program. Windows (or PS) won't let you open more than one.

By reviewing the picture, it looks like he only has one instance of gimp open (one toolbar, but I guess they could be stacking).

I am a curious person, perhaps later I'll reinstall the gimp on the 866 and give it ago, that is if Windows lets me open more than one.

Emmortal1
11-30-2003, 05:44 PM
Opening up 41 sessions of MS Paint would be more accurate compartively to GIMP than PS would be.

Emmortal

Mazer
11-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Hmm, well... that seems like a ridiculous flaw in either the gimp or linux that the system would even open more than one instance of the program. Windows (or PS) won't let you open more than one.

No it was not a flaw, it whas a mistake i made, I can open all the files in one session of gimp, from within gimp.. And windows can open diferent vertion of the same app at least win 2k can.

And no, they are not empty files, they are small bmp's, but that's not the point, it's the 41 sessions of Gimp, that are not photoshop, ok, but are not paint either...

Jb5k1
11-30-2003, 06:37 PM
My computer was a different story, though, i took a screen shot of my computer with 41 paints open, and Internet Explorer, and then, i took that and put it in paint 41 times. My computer could not handle it (notice the taskman).

Oh well, it was funny seeing how long it took to paste a picture (about 30 seconds towards the 40th paste)

http://jb5k1.250free.com/uberlag.jpg

leuey
12-01-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by JDex
Hmm, well... that seems like a ridiculous flaw in either the gimp or linux that the system would even open more than one instance of the program. Windows (or PS) won't let you open more than one..

It's not a flaw - and it's an Adobe thing to not let you open more than 1 instance (a very annoying thing) - not a windows thing. I routinely have several instances of LW's modeler and layout open simultaneouly (since windows for workgroups 3.1, mind you). I only WISH Adobe would let you open more than one instance of their software..... (while I'm wishing it would be nice to have the Adobe production suite available on Linux...)

-Greg

JDex
12-01-2003, 02:04 AM
I see that as a feature... there is nothing that "requires" two instances of photoshop to be open... why would you want to run two instances, lightwave i can understand since you can only have one scene open at a time (don't hold me to lw terminology, as i can't remember whether they were scenes or some other crazy name)... but in PS as you can see above you can have 400 images open at once... no need for multiple instances to "accidently" or intentionally open.

As far as the gimp, they should implement the same "feature" so that situations that happen to Mazer (albeit with out reprecussions this time) don't occur.

Mazer
12-01-2003, 02:45 AM
What feature, i already toold you i can open as many files as I what in one gimp session.
Just try-it for yoursel if you whant.

JDex
12-01-2003, 02:49 AM
No I mean the feature that won't let you open more than one session... I know that gimp will open more than one doc per session.

leuey
12-01-2003, 03:45 AM
I see that as a feature... there is nothing that "requires" two instances of photoshop to be open... why would you want to run two instances

I think it's a multi-user copy protection kind of thing. There are many times I would like to have more than 1 open instance of After FX. As far as photoshop there's not as many reasons (although I can think of a few) - it would just be nice if Adobe left that up to the user. Sometimes it's just nice to have a couple instances of the same app open for organizational purposes. I can have a bunch of different models open in Modeler also, but sometimes I'll be in the middle of a project and somebody will come over and want to look at something. It's just easier sometimes to open up another 'temp' instance on the side. Same with photoshop, IE, etc.

anyway....

-Greg

3Dfx_Sage
12-01-2003, 05:31 AM
not exactly 41 instances, but it's not exactly GIMP either... http://www.newgpu.com/images/untitled.JPG

ggg
12-01-2003, 10:13 PM
I see that as a feature... there is nothing that "requires" two instances of photoshop to be open... why would you want to run two instances, lightwave i can understand since you can only have one scene open at a time (don't hold me to lw terminology, as i can't remember whether they were scenes or some other crazy name)... but in PS as you can see above you can have 400 images open at once... no need for multiple instances to "accidently" or intentionally open.

I agree, XSI as you know can be instantiated with good reason, but with PS its not as neccessary and in fact would most often add another layer of comnplexity to PS scripts checking for other open document objects in other instances of PS. Still though I think adobe should offer it as an option, like a version of it that can be called on and instanced more than once

back to the thread, sorry but this doesn't seem to prove linux stability over any other major OS, unless I'm missing something beyond instancing a low overhead app 41 times. Have you tried it on windows?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.