PDA

View Full Version : Planned California Bill Targets Video Game Sales

RobertoOrtiz
11-30-2003, 02:37 AM
Quote:
"Video games have come a long way since Atari's "Pong" had players bouncing a white dot across their television screens. Nowadays, gamers can shoot cops, beat prostitutes and torch still-struggling victims.
Citing studies that say kids who play violent video games are more likely to be violent themselves, California Assemblyman Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, plans to introduce legislation making it illegal for minors to buy the most violent video games and requiring game dealers to separate youth games from adult offerings.
"

>>Link<< (http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/ca/story/7869059p-8809136c.html)

-R

froggyplat
11-30-2003, 03:36 AM
please...do it. then shut up forever about it.;)

CourtJester
11-30-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by froggyplat

I wish. The censorious sort of people don't stop until whatever they don't like has been eliminated.

heavyness
11-30-2003, 05:47 AM
rated R movies are right next to the PG ones at blockbuster, whats the difference with games? and i do believe the game industry is one of the few industries that applied its own ratings to itself.

its not are faults the damn parents don't get involved with the children.

go ahead and do it, it will just make the games even more of a taboo for kids to have.

i really stop caring...

Shawns
11-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by froggyplat

I so so agree.:buttrock:

Per-Anders
11-30-2003, 08:44 PM
these games already have ratings... last thing i heard it was already illegal to sell/rent a game or indeed video to anyone underage.

so why not try and enforce the law that's already there rather than making more red tape?

Dearmad
11-30-2003, 09:21 PM
It isn't illegal- it's an internal policy of the industry agreed to and created by those who produce the products and distribute them.

Think the film industry or the comics code.

I prefer to think censorship and stupidity. I can handle raising my daughter without the f'ing law setting our morality.

GRMac13
11-30-2003, 09:21 PM
What the hell happened to personal responsibilty? Nobody takes responsibility for thier own actions anymore. Instead, they pick a scapegoat.

"The media made me do it."
"Grand Theft Auto told me to do it."
"I listened to Ozzy Osbourne."
"I spilled a hot cup of McDonald's coffee on my lap because the neurons in my idiot brain didn't fire correctly to notify me that hot coffee is HOT! So the resulting third degree burns caused me to go on a shooting spree at a Day Care Center. Therefore I am suing McDonalds for making hot coffee."

Fcuk you, go to jail! Stop trying to shift the blame already! If you kill/rape/assault someone, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Period. If you're a parent and your kid is playing a violent video game and you dont know about it. Guess what? It's your ****ing fault! Not the game publisher, not Toys R Us, not the ****ing Devil himself. You! Stop using the TV/Playstation/DVD player as a goddamn babysitter and get involved in your kid's life. I never saw such a bunch of whiny bitches in my life. Personal Responsibilty, people! #$%#% $%^$^@!!!

*whew* that felt good.

SheepFactory
11-30-2003, 09:38 PM
hey greg you sound like you assume most of these people have common sense :)

GRMac13
11-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
hey greg you sound like you assume most of these people have common sense :)

I know, I know. Silly me.

Still, it felt good to get that little rant off my chest. These folks really get under my skin sometimes. :D

erilaz
11-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by GRMac13
What the hell happened to personal responsibilty? Nobody takes responsibility for thier own actions anymore. Instead, they pick a scapegoat.

SNIP...

*whew* that felt good.

You said exactly what I wanted to say! I'm sick to death of people blaming other crap for the actions of individuals. A game is a game is a game. That's why it's called A GAME. Maybe they should study why the hell some crazy people go nuts over a game, whereas the other 99.9% of people just enjoy the game for what it is.

What's next, back to burning books?:surprised

elfufu
12-01-2003, 08:41 AM
i totally agree they should seperate them, remember guys were thinking like adults here but when a 10 year old plays a game like GTA they are not too smart and have not fully developed.

Hell i remember being 10 and watching too much WWF i used to give me younder brother the DDT, Pile Driver and anything else they did on the show, as dangerous as that is, actually some kid killed some girl recently acting out wrestling no?

my point is whats supermario racing doing next to GTA3? I am 0% for censorship but at least by seperating them we can establish even more adult games without the fear of lawsuits flying at the publishers.

heavyness
12-01-2003, 03:40 PM
elfufu,

when i was 10, i didn't have the money or means of buying video games [my parents had to buy them for me, or at least drive me up to the store].

i watched WWF and wrestled my friends, and my parents told us to stop after they heard to much "racket".

"my point is whats supermario racing doing next to GTA3?"

it wouldn't, GTA3 goes next to game titles F and H and Mario Kart Double Dash is right next to Mario Sunshine and Marion Party.

my point, my parents raised me.?

Mentat7
12-01-2003, 05:32 PM
This bill is from the same people that find the terminology in electronics of "Master" and "slave" to be offensive. California is an alien foreign country. We should seperate it at the fault lines and send it out to sea.

rotaryman
12-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Mentat7
This bill is from the same people that find the terminology in electronics of "Master" and "slave" to be offensive. California is an alien foreign country. We should seperate it at the fault lines and send it out to sea.

No, just the politicians, almost every CA citizen is like WTF? But I agree with the retardation of this debacle. Parents are quick to blame anything but themselves. But hell, what can they do? We live in a country were the line between discipline and abuse can easily be blured. All a child has to do these days is cry "my mommy hit me!" and the parents end up in jail. So now we got kids running around unchecked thinkin' they are king of the world. Call it neglect or call it fear, the source is the maybe higher than the parents themselves. If GTA3, eminem, marilyn manson, the matrix, ozzy are to blame, then what about the news? what about when Bush goes on his warmongering speeches or when they show the bodies of Hussein's dead son's, hell tv shows like springer or cops, where violent behavior is the key to ratings? When have we heard a finger ever pointed in that direction?

The fact of the matter is, america take on what makes us behave the way we do is perverse and twisted to a point that we are too afraid or lazy to address the issue. Personally I have been raised on video games (violent ones, yes), it was my babysitter, only because my mom couldn't afford to hire a babysitter, no father was ever in my life. Statistically I should have killed some one or stole something, or blown something up. I haven't infact I am as normal as anyone else. Games have the opposite effect on me than what the media tries to portray. If I had a hard day at work and come home all pissed off, I sit down in front of a game of GTA3 and before you know it, my jets are cooled and I am calm and having a good time! They've done studies where the games actually help reduce violent tendencies because its a avenue to safely vent the anger, plus believe it or not, because of image response and reaction conditioning, games like quake, have been known to HELP younger drivers at driving automobiles.

just my 2 cents

holosynthetic
12-01-2003, 11:16 PM
games these days are getting more adult, mainly games published by rockstar like max payne 2...some of the dialog is totally unexpected like "you know this girl?" *max shows a pic of a girl to this guy* the guy then replys with something like " i know her, not the type i'de want to be around with alot, but i'de f**k her", now imagine if a little kid heard this, haha

rotaryman
12-01-2003, 11:38 PM
I do agree that some level of control be taken into effect preventing children from having such easy access to games like max payne 2. However I do agree that it isn't gonna solve much, kids will still find a way to get their hands on those games, for the sake of rebellion, just like cigarettes, sex and alcohol.

But what disturbs me is that some of these organizations are trying to prevent what content is put into these games these days (aka mal wart, :-P). If this happens it would effectively alienate us adult gamers who grew up on games. Not that I don't mind the neotinous games like mario and what not, but I am an adult, I like grit, lude, crude and rude content and I don't want that to be stripped from me. Stash the games with the playboys I don't care, just don't take them away, thats all I am sayin. In fact my hat is off to Rockstar for having so much balls to make these games. I just want the idea to be realized that games are not just for kids.

heheh ranting ain't it fun!

NickDW
12-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by holosynthetic
games these days are getting more adult, mainly games published by rockstar like max payne 2...some of the dialog is totally unexpected like "you know this girl?" *max shows a pic of a girl to this guy* the guy then replys with something like " i know her, not the type i'de want to be around with alot, but i'de f**k her", now imagine if a little kid heard this, haha

From my experiences allot of them already talk like that, or worse.

I agree people should start raising thier children instead of sitting them down in front of a game console or TV in general. But it's hard to have time to raise your kids when you're a single mom working 2 jobs just to pay the bills because you can't get on welfare or assisted living because whatever f*cked up chart they're looking at you make TOO much money. Yet you never know if you'll have electric next month.

I agree with all of the posts made so far that video games should not be the scaepgoats for our scociety.
Hell I can think of ten other things to blame.

The above example is just that, I'm not a single mom or even a female for that matter.

rotaryman
12-02-2003, 12:10 AM
heheh NickDW, I agree with you somewhat, that was my childhood, but for some reason I turned out okay.

However I don't think its that, I had a friend who had an atomic family structure, however there really was no attention for him, the parents substituted family time with toys and video games while they went out partying. He ended up having a lot of issues, got into trouble, drugs and so forth. Parents yelled at him for his faults but never embellished his qualities. So the difference is even though my childhood was filled with low income housing, foodstamps and a single mom working two jobs, my mom cherished me and showed her affection and devoted what ever time she could scrape together to be with me. Where as my friend who was raised from a white collar middle class environment with a full family, didn't get the attention he deserved and became very problematic.

However, I think it goes a bit deeper than just family and parents, 16 yr old mom's is pretty futs'd up, plus how bloody brutal some peers are in school. Like I said society itself is to blame not just the parents

PhilOsirus
12-02-2003, 02:18 AM
They need to just do like they do with the movies. 17+ means its for 17+ period. Then SHUT UP AND FOLLOW THE LAW, OR ITS YOUR PROBLEM. There;)

NickDW
12-02-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by rotaryman
heheh NickDW, I agree with you somewhat, that was my childhood, but for some reason I turned out okay.

However I don't think its that, I had a friend who had an atomic family structure, however there really was no attention for him, the parents substituted family time with toys and video games while they went out partying. He ended up having a lot of issues, got into trouble, drugs and so forth. Parents yelled at him for his faults but never embellished his qualities. So the difference is even though my childhood was filled with low income housing, foodstamps and a single mom working two jobs, my mom cherished me and showed her affection and devoted what ever time she could scrape together to be with me. Where as my friend who was raised from a white collar middle class environment with a full family, didn't get the attention he deserved and became very problematic.

However, I think it goes a bit deeper than just family and parents, 16 yr old mom's is pretty futs'd up, plus how bloody brutal some peers are in school. Like I said society itself is to blame not just the parents

I didn't mean for it to sound like it was the single moms/dads fault, although now that I look at it it kinda reads that way.

It was meant more as an example of assisted living and welfare being messed up. Not all the single parents work and never pay attention to thier children I agree. But there's only so many hours in the day to work and sleep so it does happen.

Basically I was blameshifting :blush:

Antonbomb22
12-02-2003, 04:47 AM
this is a very big problem but not the game company's or the any of the distributers. they have freedom of speech to say such things as GTA Vice City saying"kill the haitians."Yes that is violent and discriminatory but they have a right to express it. The problem lies with the parents. not the labeling or the censoring but the parents not looking at what their kids are playing, its the lack of parent super vision/influence.if the parent sees violent video games no more than a video game thats great! this also leads me to some laws and policies that have be imposed on young movie goers. requiring all viewers under 17 to require parents to go physically into the movie with them. this is upsurd. if the parent thinks its ok for their child to see sex,violence,guns and drugs then let the f*cking kid see it. the kids are eventually going to be introduced to it all in one form or another. parents cant shelter us forever but they can safely expose us to it and let us have our own free will but with their guidance of course. basically i feel this law violates the first ammendment and parents are to blame for the violence in their children.:hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.