PDA

View Full Version : Recovered crash file: How to fix white meshes?

DeadlyNightshade
08-02-2012, 12:59 PM
I do not understand how to fix this problem (fast enough).
I have a mesh (two actually) that I need to recover from a crash file - those saved in the c:\users\whatever\temp -folder.
The mesh is white, has a material on it and yea it looks like the path to the texture is wrong.
Well here is the thing:
Reassigning a completely new material to this mesh - it's still white. So it's not a material problem.
Checking the UV chans - Nope. They are still there and intact.
Checking the mesh display options in the attribute editor - Nothing weird there.

So far the only way I've been able to solve this is with the "box trick": create a new box primitive, merge that mesh with the corrupted mesh, delete the box. While that does work, it creates a stupid new map1 UV-set that can't be deleted and the only way around it is to transfer my old UV's to map1, delete the old and rename map1. It also freezes the mesh.

It's also possible to export the mesh as OBJ and reimport it. But then I have to reassign the materials to it.

Fixing these meshes should not take that long imo and I wonder what exactly is "broken" here and how do you fix it faster than this?

rgkovach123
08-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Does the mesh have more than 1 material assigned to it?

It sounds like your "map1" uvset is not Index 0 if Maya is creating a new UV Set named "map1" after combining with a cube. This is good indication something is really wrong. Every model has at least 1 UV Set - usually named "map1" and it cannot be deleted.

Instead of combining with a cube, open the UV Set Editor and create a new UV set. Pay careful attention to whether the new UV set shows up above or below the current UV set - this is important because maya sorts the UV sets based on their Index, not the order they are created in (although these two concepts often sync up).

DeadlyNightshade
08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Does the mesh have more than 1 material assigned to it?

It sounds like your "map1" uvset is not Index 0 if Maya is creating a new UV Set named "map1" after combining with a cube. This is good indication something is really wrong. Every model has at least 1 UV Set - usually named "map1" and it cannot be deleted.

Instead of combining with a cube, open the UV Set Editor and create a new UV set. Pay careful attention to whether the new UV set shows up above or below the current UV set - this is important because maya sorts the UV sets based on their Index, not the order they are created in (although these two concepts often sync up).
Thing is that I OFTEN get a completely new UV-set called "map1" in Maya 2009. And it seems like this is the only version with this problem.

At work, most of our game assets have two UV-sets - so one might ask why the hell Maya adds a third one (called map1) sometimes when merging models.

Either way I think this white-mesh problem got nothing to do with the UV-sets. Because even if I delete all the old ones and do a "copy UV's" -command to a completely new set, the problem remains.

rgkovach123
08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Do the uv sets across the objects you are merging share the same name?
There are some problems if you create a uv set, delete it, then make another uv set and try to reuse the same name.
I've had problems with "ghost" uv sets reappearing. evenutally i had to write myself a little tool to display uv set names and their index so i could debug.

there was a bug in maya where if UV sets were created with the clamped attribute set to On, then the UV set was not properly deleted from the mesh. In the maya ASCII files you could see that maya was clinging to these old uv sets because it didn't flush the uv set when clamped was on. turning clamped off would get rid of the ghost uv sets.

zoharl
08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Maya does export materials to .obj, check the .mtl file, and when importing back. Just replace the pasted_* with the appropriate * material. Also try to export to .fbx, it might prove easier.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.