PDA

View Full Version : How do I install this script?

zenonithus
08-02-2012, 12:17 AM
I really get sick of trying to figure out how to install and run mel/python scripts :( in Max its easy though Maya sucks just sucks! I have about 3 or 4 script folders in the root dir. and the my documents dir. just never knowing where to put them and what to correctly type in to get them running :(

I just downloaded this python: http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/utility-external/renaming/c/pattern-rename/comments#tabs

cant get the dam thing to run! just dont know where to put it or how to execute it! can anyone help out?

zoharl
08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I have two os environment variables:

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = c:\prj\plug-ins
PYTHONPATH = c:\prj\python-maya

I have another line in my c:\Users\zohar\Documents\maya\2013-x64\Maya.env:

MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH = c:\prj\mel

and I just copy each mel script, python script, and plugin to its appropriate directory, and I never had any problems.

Calling basic scripts:

1. mel

source "script.mel";

2. python

import script

zoharl
08-02-2012, 08:36 AM
For example, add my declarations, and put the script in the python dir. A comment inside the script explains how to run it. So from maya script editor execute:

import patternRename
patternRename.gui()

NaughtyNathan
08-02-2012, 10:19 AM
while basically everything Zoharl has already said is correct, you don't actually need to go to those lengths. Simply place any mel or python scripts into:

\My docs\maya\scripts\ (on windows, I have no idea what the mac convention is)

and they will be accessible immediately from any version of Maya you are running. (once you've restarted Maya (there are ways around this, for for the sake of noobs and 100% guarentees, restart Maya after you place new scripts here))

for MEL scripts, often sourcing alone will do nothing (and in the cases where it does work and runs the function I'd argue that this is a very poor design feature of the script)

To run a (properly) written MEL script you should just type in the name of the script, so after placing "someFunction.mel" into your scripts folder you run Maya and simply type:

someFunction

If that doesn't work I would argue that the MEL script was written by an idiot. bin it.

for python scripts you will likely need instructions as there is no such standard convention for how to run a python function (although sometimes simply importing them may run them too, depending on how they were written).

zoharl
08-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Zohar offered:

/prj/mel

Nathan offered:

"c:\Document and Settings\zohar\My Documents\maya\2013-x64\scripts\"

:hmm: ?

I mean is there anyone who uses this impractical long spammed space containing my_doc dir?
How long does it take to reach it with total commander?

zenonithus
08-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys :) I gave up on the script in the end as I found a better one that actually loaded when typing its name in the script editor! :applause: Its a fantastic script by William Petruccelli called 'wp rename' that renames number orders etc. http://Highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/utility_external/renaming/5786.html

Thanks for the script installation tutorials, I'm sure two ways are better than one ;) will bookmark this for future ref.

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2012, 12:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.