PDA

View Full Version : design critique

Jonbojangles
11-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Looking for critiques on the graphics for www.jonbojangles.com/new.htm

I am about to start coding it here very soon so any critiques and suggestions are greatly appreciated. thank you.

old website- www.jonbojangles.com

--A man is what he thinks--
--Just like you are what you eat--

jrwells
12-01-2003, 10:39 AM
First of I want to say that I like the layout of this design more than your current web site, but I think that it has one of the same problems that I see in the first site. In my opinion there is just way to much going on. As a stand alone piece it is very interesting to look at, but as far as a web site goes it is difficult to take in all the information without having to work over the entire design multiple times, even then I am finding myself distracted. I say this because I am not sure that people that are scouting you for work will be willing to spend as much time navigating it as an artist looking to critique it will.

Jonbojangles
12-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Excellent critique, thank you for your input, and ill see what I can do.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Ian Jones
12-02-2003, 08:08 AM
I agree with jrwells. All the elements individually are quite interesting but are crowded when placed together. Some of the shapes in particular seem unrelated, quite patched together. They don't sit comfortably with each other and I find it hard to see a structure behind it all.

Compositionally I think just like an artwork it lacks a focal point, or perhaps more importantly as we have been discussing due to the fact that everything is so detailed and busy not one single point of interest stands out much. The important thing to recognise here is that a focal point only exists if it has some sort of balance with less important areas of the image. It's just like saying there is no light without dark. You need areas of less visual weight / detail in order for the areas of focus and importance to actually stand out. As it is at the moment everything is kind of sitting in camoflauge with its environment.

On a side note, your interface edges look quite similar to the modern eveolution of the hulk website by Jens Karlsson. I have noticed a few exact elements, so I was just wondering if you intended to develop these along with your new background images?

I hope that helps.

Jonbojangles
12-02-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm on it, gonna see what I cant do to try to draw more attention to the center. Great eye for detail as Jens Karlsons work is whats ispired this design, from the hulk website, as well as one of his art pieces. I admire his work and design sense, seeing where he is as where i want to be one day in this industry. I am still in my first year of designing and hopefully one day I become that talented. I am still messing around with the borders, and I guess ill try to undetail them some to try and draw attention to the center. Great critiques, and ill post again once i update the site.

Ian Jones
12-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Hi again. Jens is also a huge inspiration for me aswell. I've studied his work countless times. One of the things which I think is so important to learning design is to study the work of others. If you look carefully and train your observation skills you can begin to break down systematically why his work looks so darn good. Looking at colour, composition, shapes and forms and thinking carefully about what makes them appealing. You should always think outside the box a little and look around the individual elements, look for patterns, rythmms etc...

anyway... thats probably enough of my ranting. Just thought I'd shed some thoughts from my own learning experience so far.

Jonbojangles
12-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Updated www.jonbojangles.com/new.htm , will post again once some pages are coded, Do you think the focus is better now? Changed up the borders, and tried to bring more attention in on the center.

atenyotkin
12-09-2003, 12:06 AM
I think that last post is a huge improvement over you current flash site... First off the colors are uniformed, which makes it easier on the eye. The site looks like it's much easier to navigate. One suggestion as you're working on this new flash site... unify (is that a word?) the effects. For example on your old site you had the buttons on the left with a whole bunch of effects for rollover even. It had the white transparent box that faded in and faded out, it also had the two little triangles in the top left and right corners of that button, and then for some reason you had another triangle pointing to the button from the right center. That's just too much I think... Looking at your new site, I get the feeling you're not going to do that, but just wanted to mention it anyway. Keep up the good work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.