PDA

View Full Version : Render Wire frame ON model (i.e. Textured modle + wireframe over it.)

TechnicallyArtistic
11-29-2003, 07:21 PM
I'm trying to fiugre out how to render a model with a wire frame over it. Like I need to see the model rendered with texture and all, and the wireframe tracing over there. Not just the wire frame or texture... I can pull that off.

Any sugestions?

fxjeane
11-30-2003, 12:58 AM
render out two separate images, one of the wireframe and one of the textured image. If you make the wireframe image have a white background and the wires black you can easily take both images into photoshop (or any image editing program) and place it on top of the textured image with a "multiply" layer mode.

I dont know what software you are using, but this solution will work regardless of your 3d package.

cheers

FxJeane

TechnicallyArtistic
11-30-2003, 02:34 AM
Sorry, it's 3D studio Max.

Yeah, I thought about that, but that doesn't work with objects behind the scene. I had some students in my lab wondering how to do it. That's probably a little too much, in the way of compositing and all that for them right now. We're still at the basics

Thanks though for the idea.

fxjeane
11-30-2003, 07:05 AM
you could always use a blend material and put a wirframe only material in one slot and the fully textured material in the other. Then just set the opacity to 50%.

Hope that helps
fxjeane

Fex
11-30-2003, 12:30 PM
theres a sweet modifier called lattice that converts wire in tubelike
geometry, if you want shaded wire with shadows ...:beer:

LeroyBrown
12-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Even easier. Make a copy of your modle by holding shift and clicking the mesh. Don't move it away from where you clicked it. You want the copy of your modle sitting right on top of the old one. Now, go to the material editor and make a new texure that is black (or any color) and make sure that it is set to render in wire mode. Aply that to your newly copied modle. Almost there....go to the modify menu and scroll down to the "Push" modifier. Type in a value of ".1" and then hit render. I think that is the best way to go!

OH, if the wire frame has an undisirable look, then, just cranck up the self illumiation or change the thckness of the wire in the material editor. Good Luck.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.