PDA

View Full Version : References and Instancing incompatible?

rgkovach123
07-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Say I got a tree, lives all by itself in its own .ma file.

I reference that tree into another maya file. Then I proceed to instance that tree a couple of times. Everything is good so far.

I save the new maya file and re-open it sometime later. Every instance of the tree displays as wireframe, but the original draws correctly. Each instance has somehow lost the ability to display the materials correctly. What gives?

Anyone using Referencing and Instancing in maya 2012?

fghajhe
07-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I have had loads of problems in 2012 with referencing so I stopped using it completely.

One thing you could try is setting your enviroment variable
MAYA_FORCE_REF_READ = 1;

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2010help/index.html?url=Environment_Variables_General_variables.htm,topicNumber=d0e676807

rgkovach123
07-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I think i have steps to reproduce my problem. It involves meshes with multiple materials and references Sharing Shading Networks.

Can someone independently verify these steps (maya 2012)?

1. create a sphere and assign a material to each hemisphere, say a blue lambert and a green lambert.
2. save this file.
3. open a new file.
4. open the create reference options.
5. enable Sharing.
6. enable Share Shading Networks.
7. create a reference of the sphere.
8. open the List Reference Edits window (should be empty).
9. create an instance of the sphere.
10. refresh the List Reference Edits (should now show some edits).
11. save the file. once the file is finished saving the instance should disappear/turn wireframe.

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2012, 04:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.