PDA

View Full Version : Challenge WIP: Wiro

Wiro
01-20-2002, 11:49 PM
Heya guys,

I'm a bit late for this but here's my contribution. I came across the challenge last week but couldn't start until now.
I've been way too idle lately and after seeing all the really cool contributions here I finally got motivated enough to kick myself into gear.

This fella is my first real try at using the Meshtools script for max. Man, I love that script!
He's obviously still WIP, unsmoothed and untesselated. The legs are just placeholders for proportions. He'll be sporting a second pair of mechanical arms just below the ones he has now as soon as I get the legs done. I'll also be adding some gear to his head. Like goggles and a helmet.

The eyes look a bit stiff now, but when he's rigged they'll be swaying about loosely. The guy himself is supposed to be a kinda lanky, coward pirate. In fact his whole race consists of cowards. He wants to look tough but most often just gets out of the way of his fellow pirates and let them do the job. His most favorite manouver is to hide behind a wall and use his eyes as periscopes. The skulls around his waist are second-hand and he's not entirely sure they're genuine even (probably a plastic cast) but as long as he looks brutal...

The flat tail is used around mating season where the males use them to whack against the ground. The ones that whack the loudest and have the largest tail are considered the most brave by the females (since they usually don't like attracting attention but rather stay quiet in a corner). This guy of course gets all the chicks since although he's a coward, measured against the rest of his race, he's a machine. And he's got a huge tail.

Comments as always welcome :)

http://www.secondreality.ch/temp/alien00.jpg
http://www.secondreality.ch/temp/alien01.jpg
http://www.secondreality.ch/temp/alien02.jpg

Wiro

Lev_0
01-20-2002, 11:58 PM
haha that's cool, I like your description a lot! Can we see a smoothed version of the model or are you planning on smoothing it? I think he needs more details around his legs area and feet, I like the design, gj!

Jean Eric
01-21-2002, 01:01 AM
Very impressive Wiro. I think we all look forward to see the final render.

sigma
01-21-2002, 01:16 AM
wow. Nice poly work. I love the little skulls on his belt.
Cant wait to see the 'eyes as periscopes' in action :p

Martin-K-
01-21-2002, 01:25 AM
good to see you back mate:) and with cool work too :)

orö
01-21-2002, 04:14 AM
NICE to see you here !!!:D

Great Work !

Please let us see a smooth Version from your Pirate !!!

Cheers

Oliver

Flo
01-21-2002, 04:30 AM
he wiro...

cool to see some new work from you (took quite a while=)
the character is great , i can really see him doing his favourite manouver.

cool stuff :)

Flo

rendermonkey23
01-21-2002, 04:31 AM
This guy is schweeeeet! :)

10 more days..... dum da dum dummmmmmm!!!

Jean Eric
01-21-2002, 04:37 AM
Just to up the ante somewhat, the best renders will be featured in a special CG Elite edition and we have an other big surprise yet to be announced. A few of you know about it, but we don't want to make it public until we are ready.

Wiro
01-21-2002, 05:46 AM
Wooo, looking forward to it Jean :)

Thanks alot to the rest of you guys! Glad you like him, hehe.
Yeah the legs are not finished yet, in fact they are just placeholders from a game mesh I made at work. I'll come up with a smoothed version quite soon. Its just that I want to slap on a meshsmooth onto all parts at once so I can globally control the tesselation (instead of each part seperately). And since I haven't given him any smoothing groups yet he's totally faceted.

10 days left? Hm, plenty of time :D

Wiro

mickatt
01-21-2002, 05:55 AM
great work WIRO !!!

I am impatient to see a meshsmooth

he would need details on the bottom of its jacket...

Equinoxx
01-21-2002, 06:05 AM
excellent to see you're iup & running again mate . .
Seen you busy with finalRender tests with your B.U.B.

Excellent model man, tho I am not to sure about them 4 holes in his "nose" I thin you should just stick with 2, he is alien enough without em . . .

and I DO love them lil skulls . . . brilliant.

toma
01-21-2002, 06:40 AM
Hi Wiro !

Very nice model i DO like it. I fi d that keeping him with that number of polygon gives him much more charm. Its looks rough, but so sweeeeeeet !

I'm impatient to see what you're going to do with that model !

Keep going, i love what you do :)

Bye

pabbloz
01-21-2002, 07:37 AM
Incredible! What is going to be his weapon? :p

rate 5!!

lildragon
01-21-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Jean Eric
Very impressive Wiro. I think we all look forward to see the final render.

I'm sure that wasn't a pun right Jean? heheh ;)

Wiro man it's good to see you back in the saddle, I know you've been busy but bud you have to update your site :p

anyhoo I voted for this model, so that's why you have the lil stars next to your post :) he has incredible potential, and apart from that a very unique story, I think that's whats making the difference here, he feels very alive and not just pieced together...

I love the look the modeling is great and I can't wait to see what else you're going to do :)

take care bud

Krep Suzeth
01-21-2002, 09:13 AM
Wow wow wow !

One word : Great !
I love the concept, the proportions, the details, the posture.....
But where is your WIP ? You post the final here ?!

Krep

pascal_blanche
01-21-2002, 12:37 PM
heya Arild! good work as usual!

epatnor
01-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by toma
Very nice model i DO like it. I fi d that keeping him with that number of polygon gives him much more charm. Its looks rough, but so sweeeeeeet !

I just wanna second that! He looks so rough but cool at the same time! I think some of the other contributors in here is getting a little nervous...? :p

Very nice work! Of course, the smoothed ver is gonna rock! :)

A question: is that his tail? Nice beaver-touch (!) :D

Wiro
01-31-2002, 10:12 AM
'Lo guys, me again...

The day after I posted the last message my puter broke down and I was unable to do anything for a week or so. I got into the saddle again a few days ago and really had to stress to get this done in time :)

The pose and the lighting aren't very good, sorry. I'll try to improve on that tomorrow. I've been up practically all night to finish most of the model, rig and post it and I'm tired...
Alltogether I guess it's about 4-5 days worth of work.

Yeah, I know, the feet are intersecting the ground. Bummer. Fix tomorrow. *yawn* it's 6am now. 2h sleep then off to work.
Later!

http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/pose1.jpg

http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/pose2.jpg

http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/closeup.jpg

Wiro

Joebount
01-31-2002, 10:51 AM
The four arms are excellent, they should be a bit bigger IMHO
:)

jimpajammer
01-31-2002, 12:27 PM
he looks excellent!!

you da alien!!

Equinoxx
01-31-2002, 01:07 PM
YEAH BABY YEAH . . .

mad skills your portayin there Wiro . . .
excellent piece of work. Slab some drab simple colors on it
to give us a feeling of what it might look like when textured :D

oh btw, in the second render, his feet are "falling" thru the groundplane.

mickatt
01-31-2002, 01:28 PM
very impressive modeling and design wiro !!!

Krep Suzeth
01-31-2002, 01:28 PM
Wiro, you're a great artist !
It's a really nice character, I love the littles arms (usefull to carry things while reading a map... :D).

Thay's really great !

Krep

subagio
01-31-2002, 02:28 PM
Hey! Another visiting Mankunian! Nice stuff as usual Wiro. Go kick some BlancheClark ass!

--C

chrom
01-31-2002, 02:42 PM
lot of details
perfect Arild

cheers
.chrom

lildragon
01-31-2002, 03:13 PM
Excellent, very nice modeling man.... one of my favs so far.. ;)

Wiro
01-31-2002, 03:56 PM
Thanks, cool you like him guys! It was really fun to get him done.

In fact thanks to this challenge I've kicked myself to stay on a model and get it done without spending months. It's probably the fastest modeled character I've ever made. Hey, the girl on my site is in her second year and still not finished...I'm just never satisfied with my results and constantly backtrack and restart stuff.

I want to pose and light him a bit differently to show off the model better. I just hope I make it in time :-/

Yeah the arms are a bit small, I might fix that at a later time. I also wanted to add some more stuff to his belt. I think he lacks a bit of pirate stuff but I won't be able to add anything more for a while except for maybe some weapon.

Thanks for your support guys!

Wiro

Equinoxx
01-31-2002, 04:05 PM
he definately lacks a gigantic gun in his right hand.
and a sowrd offcourse. I think you should at least at those in order to make him more piraty . .

it's lookin great man.
Btw, your site isn't updated in YEARS . . . so to speak ;)
get goin man . . . :D

ether
01-31-2002, 05:01 PM
Wow, I like him a lot Wiro!
Nicely done;)

stipen
01-31-2002, 05:11 PM
My favorite design , Wiro....Great work

parallax
01-31-2002, 05:16 PM
Awesome stuff. nice prostetics :)

illustr8rX
01-31-2002, 06:39 PM
Holeee Cow....well that's about all I can say, all the good crits/praise have been said. Excellent work, my FAVORITE so far. WOW. Thanks for entering.

Totitch
01-31-2002, 07:14 PM
I agree with you stipen...

Taoizm
01-31-2002, 07:28 PM
Wiro, good to see you in here. Great model, awesome pose, etc, etc.... :) Are you going to texture?

Wiro
01-31-2002, 07:42 PM
Wow, no harsh critiques among the responses...I must have done something right ;)

Yes, I really would like to add a weapon though probably not a sword. Sure he's a pirate but I don't really imagine space pirates wielding swords...knifes maybe...yeah, I'll add a shoddy knife :)

Time is ticking...isn't deadline tomorrow? And I'm only home for a coupla hours tonight :(
Probably won't have time to add a gun.

And yes, my site is ooold now. I got some new stuff but no time/too lazy/too much computer problems to update. I get emails all the time from people telling me about my dead links and missing files...damn.

Well, only a few hours left til work's over and I can continue on him. Wheeee.

Wiro

Equinoxx
01-31-2002, 07:46 PM
hehe the problems of a cg genius WHOOOOHAAAAAA hehe.
well, If you ain't gonna make a gun, then you better make the knife REAL good ;)
Still think you should add something that says PIRATE HERE in less than a seconds of viewing ;)

oh btw, here's what I plucked from the frontsite bout the deadline

The current WIP Challenge ends today on CG Talk. Entries must be submitted before the end of the day today Midnight, Eastern Standard Time (New York). So far, the entries we have received are nothing short of spectacular. There are no losers here.

Wiro
01-31-2002, 08:06 PM
Ayeeee! Tonight already? Dang, i thought I'd have some hours tomorrow. Gotta unpack my speedmouse.

Wiro

PS: "CG genius"? Who, where? :)

Matt-Clark
01-31-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Wiro
Wow, no harsh critiques among the responses...

Absolutely terrible. How long did you spend on this? 3 minutes?
Now stop lowering the standard and throw this one out and
start again, you really can do better.

Harsh enough? :D (I best put additional ;) ;) ;) ;) here)

Seriously now, the only crit I have is that some of the armour
elements don't appear to have any thickness to them (just
planes? or atleast very thin..) But that's easily fixable!

Great as always.

subagio
01-31-2002, 08:12 PM
TONIGHT!!!?? I thought I had tomorrow to work on it?

Polys... need polys... [dies] Come on Wiro... let's show em how it's done.

--C

Wiro
01-31-2002, 09:46 PM
Matt Clark: Haha, ok I'll start over again. I got a whole hour tonight so it'll be awesome :)

Your pirate isn't too shabby either! Definately one of the most characteristic ones around here.

All parts have thickness though the armor is supposed to be this thin sheet metal with some holes punched through them. Might beef them up a bit.

Hey, you worked on those Decipher Star Wars models too right? Awesome work there! I got to make some of the main character heads but you just kept on churned out tons of them beautiful fullbody figures :)

Subagio: LOL, I hardly slept last night. Ain't nothing like pressure to get the juices flowing :) you got a nice model out in that short time though!

Wiro

goodlag
01-31-2002, 09:53 PM
great model work!!

can't await to see him textured

:p

jThorngren
01-31-2002, 10:09 PM
awesome work Wiro ;) Definately your type of style and you know I like that ;)

Now lets see if I can finish mine before you finish yours ;P (yeah, rite..)

frank
01-31-2002, 10:12 PM
I like the design, the posing and the execution!
Nicely done!
The goggles are really cool too!

Are you planning to texture it?

Frank

smallone3d
01-31-2002, 10:59 PM
So much talent in here OHMY!!!!!

Wow, the poly work, great......:)

pascal_blanche
02-01-2002, 09:18 AM
did you get enough time for some adds wiro???

Wiro
02-01-2002, 09:22 AM
Taoizm: it's good to be in here :)
Yeah, I will probably texture him properly in the future. Now that'll be fun!

Hey Johan, you're in here too? :)
I just checked out your pirate, hehe very cool! Seems like you finished your before me too ;)

So, here are the final updates. I really didn't have time to change much more than the pose and the lighting. I did add knives for his belt though. There are still bits and pieces that I'd love to change a bit (like add some detail to the boots, give him a gun, etc) but it was close enough as it is...I think I sent my email to Jean Eric at 23:55 EST or so :/

Hope it reached him in time. Anyway, the pics:

http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/alienpirate1.jpg
http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/alienpirate2.jpg

and some wireframes

http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/wire00.gif
http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/wire01.gif

Wiro

pascal_blanche
02-01-2002, 09:26 AM
OMG!! wow Arild... there`s such a feeling of life and motion in this pose!!! nice work man!

Wiro
02-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Haha, talk about simultanious posting! Thanks Pascal, it's always cool to read your comments.

I don't know if I had enough time...I sent off the pics to Jean Eric very close to the deadline (I was sleeping while rendering and nodded off for a tad too long...). Let's see if he gets it in time.

Anyway you're a hard competitor to beat...really love your character. He just looks so laid back and relaxed. And so bloody full of detail!!! You really pushed me to do my best with my own pirate :)

Later...gotta catch some sleep now. Badly needed.

Wiro

The dwarf
02-01-2002, 09:39 AM
very good,no comment:D

dingo
02-01-2002, 10:02 AM
PHAT!, very awesome work!!

alx
02-01-2002, 10:30 AM
WIRO

Very beautifull work ( third piece i see tonight and third piece i love) i really like the pose, it really portrais his emotion, and after that description of his personality that you gave at the begining you can really tell that he is like "WTF?" like ... i dont know the exact word but you understand what i mean i hope....
:D

REALLY NICE

Love the lighting and the shading on him it looks great...

GREAT competition, VERY Tough to choose, it'll sure be nice to see an animation with these 3 characters ive seen, ( pascal's, Matt's and Yours) all interacting, since all have such interesting personalities, ( not to mention quality), you could say you have the good guy, the bad guy and the victim , All toguether make alot of sence. i love the work ive seen so far VERY NICE

something that i really liked about your model is that it looked good on the early stage and also at the final stage so VERY nice quality work

Best of luck to you, and to all

Sincerely
alx
:D

jThorngren
02-01-2002, 11:21 AM
wiro; haha, yeah.. Im here too ;) sadly enough I didnt get enough time to really work it through fully as I would like. Saw that you had some 'time' problems yourself as well so you get what I mean ;P

I like this lil fella though, real nice pose ;)

subagio
02-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Very nice work Wiro. Hats off to ya. Gotta love the dual monocle design, great idea.

--C

stipen
02-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Again..This is definitely my fav Pirate....The design is just too cool!!
This charactere really has an attitude.I' m trying to find some crits to add , but nothing's comin' up !!
Do you intend to animate it??

lildragon
02-01-2002, 04:45 PM
you got my vote bud ;)

Pistols
02-01-2002, 05:11 PM
This one is really well done ! really good looking characher ...
some much tiny details :)
and the holes in the steel :) I love that :)
Great work, can't wait to see it moooving :)

Krep Suzeth
02-01-2002, 09:23 PM
What a nice work ! Congratulations Wiro !

I like the model, of course, but also the pose. He's alive !

I hope you have found time to post it to Jean Eric !
What would be this challenge without this pirate !

Great !

Krep

Naz
02-02-2002, 04:36 AM
wow.. looks great =) and very fluid impression of motion you brought into the stance. I especially like the detailed jacket (btw. there is a gap in the mouth - damn one sided polys %) and the form of the hands.
he has character and looks very alive like.
keep up the good work!

Wiro
02-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Alx: I'm glad his character comes across in this pose :)
I was a bit concerned about finding a pose that would portray that and also not obscure any details on his mesh. I'll come up with some more later though. And yes, I'd love to animate him! I've got to set him up a bit better though.

Cool you like the first WIPs, but I regret that I didn't post more in-betweens or anything from earlier in the start. Will do in the next contest :)

jThorgren: Oooh yeh, time problems is my middle name. Though a couple of sleepless nights have never hurt anyone... :/

subagio: haha, yeah I wanted flip-up goggles from the start. I was never sure they would work and currently they are not really physically able to flip down but hey, I'm working on it :)

Stipen: if I can get my lazy ass in gear, yeah I'll animate him!

Naz: I haven't modeled the inside of his mouth yet but I think the gap you are talking about might be his teeth. I just turned on "render 2 sided" to prevent from seing the back wall through his mouth :)

to the rest of you: thanks alot for the praise and support! It gets my juices flowing for the next contest ;)

Wiro

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.