PDA

View Full Version : VFB+ v2.0 for 3dsmax Released

lo
07-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Introducing VFB+ v2.0, the advanced Virtual Frame Buffer for Autodesk 3dsmax.

In the past year VFB+, previously an open source MAXScript tool, has been completely rewritten as a plugin for 3dsmax.

It works with any renderer which uses the 3dsmax frame buffer, e.g. Mental Ray, IRay, Scanline, Final Render, V-Ray (when not using the V-Ray VFB).

The tool has been designed and heavily tested to fit smoothly into any production pipeline, and to streamline the rendering workflow for anyone who renders in 3dsmax.

v2.0 is faster, supports any bit depth, and packs a multitude of new features. It works with any renderer, provided it is using the 3dsmax frame buffer (e.g. V-Ray render will work when not using the V-Ray VFB).

A partial list of the new features in v2.0:

Support for 16-bit and 32-bit per channel (including HDR) images and color correction.
VFB+ is active while rendering, including tweaking of color correction and stamping.
Captures Render Elements and G-Buffer channels as well as the main pass.
Pixel Aspect Ratio correction display.
Composite A|B mode.
Additional display modes.
Support for 3D color LUTs.
RGB Histogram.
Added more Stamper variables including arbitrary MAXScript expressions.
Fully documented.
Customizable interoperability options.
MAXScript interface provides access to key features.

A 30-day fully functional trial version is available for download.
See my blog for complete details and to download:
www.monotoneminimal.com/vfb
Youtube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCbR7X9fUWU)

P.S. - A really big thanks to all the beta testers who helped me with priceless feedback over the past few months!

sandykoufax
07-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Which V-Ray version supported? Only V-Ray 2 ?

lo
07-25-2012, 05:55 AM
No, it's not a plugin specific to V-Ray, any version is supported.

irwit
07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
couple of questions, is it faster that the vray frame buffer as that is really slow it seems at the moment? Are there any features, ala mayas viewport where you dock a render and scrub between them, that give this a real advantage over the vray frame buffer?

lo
07-25-2012, 09:12 AM
couple of questions, is it faster that the vray frame buffer as that is really slow it seems at the moment? Are there any features, ala mayas viewport where you dock a render and scrub between them, that give this a real advantage over the vray frame buffer?

I'm not sure regarding speed, what part of using the vray frame buffer is slow for you? For me, using VFB+ is realtime.

I also did not fully understand what you meant by the docking feature. VFB+ supports various modes for comparing between two images (but then again, to some extent so does the Vray VFB in newer versions).

Check out the video and the feature list on the website for a complete rundown of the capabilities.

irwit
07-25-2012, 10:06 AM
in maya you save your renders and they pile up so to say, you can then scrub along the bottom between all your renders as apose to comparing A/B you compare your days work.

lo
07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
in maya you save your renders and they pile up so to say, you can then scrub along the bottom between all your renders as apose to comparing A/B you compare your days work.

Yes, you can most definitely do that in VFB+.
All renders are automatically stored and you can browse them either with the arrow buttons or using a filmstrip which shows thumbnails of all the renders.

Njen
07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Looks cool! I had a go on the trial version of 1.52 and was very happy with it except for the fact that it had limited bit depth. But with the new bit depth feature you stated for 2.0, I will most likely buy a license in the near future!

Thanks!

jdollus
07-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Considering the Vray Frame Buffer is also referred to as VFB, it seems you may run into a bit of confusion as to what your product is capable of and how it can be used.

lo
07-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Considering the Vray Frame Buffer is also referred to as VFB, it seems you may run into a bit of confusion as to what your product is capable of and how it can be used.

Yes, I can see how it might be misinterpreted. I've edited the top post to hopefully avoid confusion.

wallworm
10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Rotem... I was looking into your latest VFB and noticed the site is down.

lo
10-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Rotem... I was looking into your latest VFB and noticed the site is down.

Is that still the case? I just checked and it's working fine for me...

wallworm
10-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Is that still the case? I just checked and it's working fine for me...

No... it's up now. For about 15 minutes the only way I could see any content was to use Google's cache features.

lo
10-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks. I hope it won't happen again.

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2012, 08:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.