PDA

View Full Version : Animation preview (transition effect, shaded render)

dickma
11-29-2003, 08:05 AM
Everybody please spend some time and have a look:

http://dickma.homeip.net:8080/dickma/comp2.zip

It's a 11.3 mpeg 4 format that requires Quicktime.

I would like to have some feedback.

Thankyou.

Para
11-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Looks nice, although a bit jerky (most possibly because of the low bitrate).

I don't have any suggestions or critics :)

dickma
11-29-2003, 01:07 PM
just nice? anymore?

dobermunk
11-29-2003, 01:46 PM
technically, the animation is pretty floaty. Looks very cg. And the feet slip. And the character is stiff.

I'm not sure what your intention with this piece is, I feel the camera lingering on things like opening and closing the door is fairly uniteresting. You could make your life easier and the piece more interesting (imo) by varying cuts, close-ups of the door gate, the bike, etc.

dickma
11-29-2003, 04:00 PM
As you see that, it is an animation scene transitions from one place to another so...I think I've achieve my goal (Do you think so?)

It is the middle part of my animation so the Varying cuts, and close-ups will make at the beginning and at the end of the animation. (Yes, I found some interesting angles during making this but may be I don't know which is the good timing to insert that sort of thing.)

And May be I need someone to teach me about walk-cycle and any animation related.(Somebody here! HELP!):eek:

Chewey
11-29-2003, 04:41 PM
I'd have to second most of what's been stated already. The transition looks interesting but the video itself plays back rather choppy and it's difficult to judge the animation. Maybe try divx next time.

dickma
11-29-2003, 05:03 PM
because it is a direct After Effects output which not support the Divx format...

Sorry about this. I am not familiar with codecs. have set the highest bit rate of mpeg 4 but still choppy.

dobermunk
11-29-2003, 05:09 PM
Dick Ma, sorry - my critique was biased towards the negative. I also find the transition and stylistic cool.
I feel that those would also benefit from more interesting camera work, though.

dickma
11-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Well, I should have mort critics to improve myself....Thanks dobermunk and chewey

Chewey
11-29-2003, 06:46 PM
You can ouput divx coded videos just fine in After FX. Just install the divx codec onto your machine. If you're using a mac then I'm not certain what your options are.

Para
11-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Chewey
You can ouput divx coded videos just fine in After FX. Just install the divx codec onto your machine. If you're using a mac then I'm not certain what your options are.

In that case, he has to install DivX 5.1 for Mac :thumbsup:
http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

dickma
11-30-2003, 04:54 AM
I don't know why there is no export Divx in AVI option in After Effects.....

I've install it....

dickma
11-30-2003, 05:26 AM
except codecs... any other critics?

NanoGator
11-30-2003, 05:59 AM
I thought the transition from the building to the outside was real cool!

Facial Deluxe
11-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Very good ambient, nice color, warm, lighting is good also.

As everybody pointed, animation is too stiff, everything is at same speed and lack of rythm.
If you are your own director and animator, perhaps you should think a bit different as now.
Animation is one thing, one part in the movie, but it's not the only purpose. Purpose is, IMHO, to give a feeling to the spectator.
Even if you are not a "god animator", I think with what you have there actually, you can achieve a pretty decent movie.
Camera is your friend ! Atm, the camera keeps always the same distance. Try varying the shot. Doing one sequence shot is, IMHO, an error. Editing, simle cuts, would help you to express better. Do some closes ups, close ups on hand when closing the door or grabing the bike. The flying birds plan is interesting, as you did, could be good also to have a camera pov from under, looking up to the sky with a "shining" whyty sky surrounding the birds (classical poetic effect in mangas).
Also, your set is magnificient, lots of details, you could offer yourself to let the camea stands on some details, to increase the ambient emotion (without beeing to descriptive of course).

In fact, what you've done reminds me a lot of "Lain" manga, which you might already know. Perhaps should you study this manga in an editing / ambient pov.

Good job, keep it up !

dickma
11-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Facial Deluxe
Very good ambient, nice color, warm, lighting is good also.

As everybody pointed, animation is too stiff, everything is at same speed and lack of rythm.
If you are your own director and animator, perhaps you should think a bit different as now.
Animation is one thing, one part in the movie, but it's not the only purpose. Purpose is, IMHO, to give a feeling to the spectator.

Can anyone teach me specifically how to loose it up the animation? Legs or Shoulders problem? Someone said I need to do a roll-up action on the feet. I really don't know how to improve it a little more. Or because I am lack of animation education so I cannot figure out the problem. Now I extract the character out from the scenes and would like to concentrate on the motions. See anyone can "TEACH" me how to improve it.....

About give feelings to the spectator, it always in my first priority in my mind.

Even if you are not a "god animator", I think with what you have there actually, you can achieve a pretty decent movie.
Camera is your friend ! Atm, the camera keeps always the same distance. Try varying the shot. Doing one sequence shot is, IMHO, an error. Editing, simle cuts, would help you to express better. Do some closes ups, close ups on hand when closing the door or grabing the bike. The flying birds plan is interesting, as you did, could be good also to have a camera pov from under, looking up to the sky with a "shining" whyty sky surrounding the birds (classical poetic effect in mangas).
Also, your set is magnificient, lots of details, you could offer yourself to let the camea stands on some details, to increase the ambient emotion (without beeing to descriptive of course).

As what I said before, that animation test is an transitions from one scene to another scene (the middle part or a "bridge"). So the close-up camera will be planned mostly at the beginning and at the end. Close ups in that scene may be made the clip too fragment and lost the "transitions" meaning. But by reviewing the camera track I think I should work more on that.

In fact, what you've done reminds me a lot of "Lain" manga, which you might already know. Perhaps should you study this manga in an editing / ambient pov.

Good job, keep it up !

I don't know what is "Lain" manga, I would like to have the info. Personally I am very fond of animations from France.

PS. I feel a little bit stoned on working on the animation. I've spend time to improving the motion part but .......I am miserable now.

Thank you Facial Deluxe

Facial Deluxe
12-01-2003, 08:11 AM
Keep it up man :) !
Don't worry, animation is really the tedious part. I spent 3 days finding how to make a woman trot, result was so an so, but I had no ref except myself.
Try to mimic the movement yourself could help to understand how are your feet, hands, head, at what speed, etc.
That's why thinking of where is the camera BEFORE, could save you time. Though doing the whole animation seems more elegant, animating just a detail is faster and sometime easier (nice animated hand grabbing bike).
I'm not good enough to teach you anything, I just can stay "overal" in my crits. Here are things I noticed :
The main trouble I see at an animation POV, is the lack of weight. It's like the character has no weight. For example when he walks (to the bike), his pelvis is suposed to balance (rotation) and to go up & down. Atm, it's not moving at all.
Before that, when he rotates to close the door, his whole body stays stiff, while the vertebral column should "twist". Here I see both pelvis & shoulder keeping the same direction (also feet are sliding). That's why it is important to mimic, you are your best ref !
Same thing when he walks with his bike, pelvis seems to move a little better, but it seems that his feet are staying flat, that's the "roll-up action on the feet" someone pointed I guess.

Lain is a Pioneer experiment (that's how they call it) directed by Ryutaro Nakamura. It's a several episodes serie, I have them all in VHS but some are copied, so can't tell how many. It's not so unknown, so you can easily find it in manga shops. Infos might be found with google as well. It's a cyber web story, very unique by the story and treatment. Rythm is very low, and I believe you'll fall in love with the graphic treatment :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.