PDA

View Full Version : changes in MEL since Maya 2008

DEVILSAN
07-23-2012, 07:47 PM
the last script I wrote in MEL was when Maya 2008 came out, and its been 4 years since I didn't touch it, but today I reopened one of my MEL script as I am told by the user to fix, I have fixed its functionality but I am curious to know has their been any change since then...

back then I was told by many guys to use PyMel but now I guess I can do in Python as I have been using in Nuke & Fusion...

NaughtyNathan
07-23-2012, 09:03 PM
you've missed an option there: Python for Maya. this is not the same as openMaya (which is purely API access via python).

DEVILSAN
07-24-2012, 05:46 AM
you've missed an option there: Python for Maya. this is not the same as openMaya (which is purely API access via python). are you making fun of me ? You Nathan Love? while installing Maya I see a render has written Nathan Love at the bottom.

Yesterday It was late night, instead of spending time on google I thought I should post on my oldest favorite forum atleast someone would reply by next morning. and this thread can be useful for others interms of topic too..

Panupat
07-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Well on top of my head I can only think of fileDialog2. fileDialog is still there tho.

I don't think there's much change in Mel itself. There are some extra flags here and there and new commands that show up with later Maya version that, strictly speaking, is not an update to Mel but a new command for Maya altogether.

And to add to Nathan's, yes Python is the most exciting thing that happens to Maya scripting these days.

DEVILSAN
07-24-2012, 06:14 AM
well now I cannot update the poll though some one with admin rights can...

zoharl
07-24-2012, 02:29 PM
As I noted before, since PyMel is only a nice package and not really a new language, we can use this option as 'Python for maya'.

oglu
07-24-2012, 02:40 PM
there are some new docs... maybe from interest...

http://docs.autodesk.com/MAYAUL/2013/ENU/Maya-API-Documentation/index.html?url=files/GUID-856DDB26-93E7-493D-A1D4-60C4CBA38B9C.htm,topicNumber=d30e2430
http://docs.autodesk.com/MAYAUL/2013/ENU/Maya-API-Documentation/index.html?url=cpp_ref/_maya.html,topicNumber=cpp_ref__maya_html

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2012, 02:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.