PDA

View Full Version : MAYA not openeing files

elfufu
11-28-2003, 08:55 PM
I have been working on a short movie for some time now and it seems that all the files (which are preety large) are suddenly not opening and maya is crashing in the process. theres no error message just nothing happens and the app freezes.

i thought maybe the files were corrupt but i tried openeing the backup files i had on CD from a week ago and they seem to not open also.

when i try opening smaller fies it opens just fine.

what can this be? please help!!

gmask
11-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Have you tried import instead of open?

elfufu
11-28-2003, 09:47 PM
yup and still nothing.

its a 15mb file has worked fine all the way until last night. i have a dual 2 gig xeon and wildcat card with 1 gig of ram btw.

gmask
11-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Okay well what's in the scene? .. Does it read a for awhile and hten quit or does it bail out right away? What version of maya is this anyway?

Oh scan your computer for viruses as well

elfufu
11-28-2003, 10:06 PM
maya 5.0 has animation. doesnt even start just crashes immediately. the % reader in the bottom left never even hits 1%

gmask
11-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by elfufu
maya 5.0 has animation. doesnt even start just crashes immediately. the % reader in the bottom left never even hits 1%

Scan for viruses

stephen2002
11-28-2003, 11:37 PM
Hate to say this but the file may have been corrupted along with all of the work in it. I hope you have a backup version...

gmask
11-28-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by stephen2002
Hate to say this but the file may have been corrupted along with all of the work in it. I hope you have a backup version...

This doesn't make sense.. both his current files and backups won't open.. so something has happened with the system itself.

Trash your prefs..scan for viruses..

beaker
11-29-2003, 01:59 AM
Try:
1: move your preferences out of your home directory and let maya recreate new ones.
2. Install maya 5.01

Do you save as maya ascii or binary files?

elfufu
11-29-2003, 08:13 AM
i reinstalled maya over the porevious install, so i started with all new prefs etc. However now whats happens is maya just crashes at first sight of the perspective window. this is just by clicking the maya icon not by opening a file.

when i drag My old prefs into the maya folder then the startup is successfull but the files wont open. I tried opening the files at a firends houise and they work fine.

I also just ran anti virus and defrgmented my drive. any other sugegestions??:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

gmask
11-29-2003, 08:48 AM
i reinstalled maya over the porevious install, so i started with all new prefs etc. However now whats happens is maya just crashes at first sight of the perspective window. this is just by clicking the maya icon not by opening a file.

Did you install new display card drivers recently? Try going back to an older version.

elfufu
11-29-2003, 08:49 AM
thing is why would it open fine when i use my old prefs if it does have to do with my G-card?

stephen2002
11-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by gmask
This doesn't make sense.. both his current files and backups won't open.. so something has happened with the system itself.

Oopps, must read closer. I didn't see that he had tried opening backups :blush:

elfufu
11-29-2003, 06:05 PM
after hours of trial and error i see a pattern in the crashes. like i said before the old prefs work fine but the new ones do not. i think the thing that is making it crash is mental ray.

see the old prefs by default do not have mentalray setup, BUT all my files that dont open are calling for the plugin to function. as soon as it does that it crashes.

i have done test by using the older prefs folder and running the plugins one by one. as soon as i try and load mtomr it all goes to hell.

is there any suggestions?

gmask
11-29-2003, 06:25 PM
>>i have done test by using the older prefs folder and running the plugins one by one. as soon as i try and load mtomr it all goes to hell.

Do the files load without MR loaded?

elfufu
11-29-2003, 06:29 PM
nope

gmask
11-29-2003, 06:38 PM
nope

Huh? Are these maya ascii files?

elfufu
11-29-2003, 06:40 PM
maya binary

gmask
11-29-2003, 06:55 PM
maya binary

Right of course.. I dunno .. so can you setup and render a new file with MR?

When was the last time you reinstalled the OS? Seems like now would be a good time to do it.

beaker
11-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Did you Try maya 5.01?

Also try going to your friends and opening the file, resave it as a maya ascii file and then remove the "requires Mentalray blah blah blah" from the header.

vizion
11-30-2003, 12:56 AM
i second that "do a clean install" suggestion. Never fails to cure what ails all.

elfufu
11-30-2003, 02:10 AM
just installed XP clean copy, hope this works, regardless thank you guys for the support. you guys rock. Gmask ...man this is like the 3-4th time youve helped me out..cgtalk should be paying you..:beer: cheers guys

gmask
11-30-2003, 02:22 AM
Gmask ...man this is like the 3-4th time youve helped me out..cgtalk should be paying you..:beer: cheers guys

LOL..yeah right ;-)

you could allways buy a XDUGEF t-shirt :cool:

elfufu
11-30-2003, 09:31 PM
installed XP, maya is working again !!!....thank you guys

i wonder what it was that made it die?? oh well
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.