PDA

View Full Version : Question about the PolySeparate Command

rgkovach123
07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
What does the 'rs' flag do? It is not documented...

Thanks.

NaughtyNathan
07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
I think it's not documented because, like the other undocumented flags, it's almost completely useless for anything...
The long name is -removeShells which gives you a hint at it's purpose.. basically it seems to delete all the other shells in the separated object bar the one you've separated. But there's no real way to control which bit is separated and it doesn't appear to work if you use the -sss (-separateSpecificShell) flag which makes it even more useless...

rgkovach123
07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks, I am trying to take a mesh and explode it into it's individual poly shells (i'm not passing any specific faces into the command, just the mesh itself).

When the RS flag is True, it picks a random shell and deletes the rest. When it's false, it just separates the Mesh.

The weird thing is if you call Extract from the Mesh menu and listen to the output in the script editor, the RS flag is set to true, but also keeps all the Shells...

weird....

NaughtyNathan
07-19-2012, 08:28 PM
it's not strictly a random shell, it's the first one (the one that contains face[0]) and the reason it doesn't "appear" to delete the other shells when you extract is probably due to all the other stuff Maya does beforehand when you extract (like polyChipOff and the other operations done in the performPolyAction black-box)

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2012, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.