PDA

View Full Version : More awesome Galactica 2003 renders

RobertoOrtiz
11-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Check them out.

http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/Gallery/viper_mk2_707_3.jpg

>>link<< (http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/index.htm#)

-R

CG.p
11-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Funny how a lot more people don't have these type of images in their gallery so far.

eliseu gouveia
11-30-2003, 01:21 AM
Okay, NOW itīs looking like a Viper.

A nice looking Viper, even.

Does it makes for the plot changes, tone changes, Galactica design changes, (...) Starbuck changes?

Hardly.

gmask
11-30-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by eliseu gouveia
Starbuck changes?

Maybe they should do a Buck Rogers movie? Biddie Biddie Biddie What's Up Buck?

eliseu gouveia
11-30-2003, 01:32 AM
Okay, now thatīs just silly.

Comparing a lamer of a show like Buck Rogers to the grave changes theyīre making in Battlestar Galactica.

Think about it, this is a show that aired once, 20 years ago.
Yet the people who saw it still recollect it fondly to this day.

Donīt you think studio execs could have demonstrated a little more respect to these people by at least pretending to try to look like they were staying true to the spirit of the show?

gmask
11-30-2003, 01:38 AM
>>>Donīt you think studio execs could have demonstrated a little more respect to these people by at least pretending to try to look like they were staying true to the spirit of the show?

This is no surprise.. every single movie that has come out that is based on a comic book or a remake of a older movie or TV show goes through the same makeover and then hardcore criticism by fans of the original.

I'm sure they will get around to turnign Buck Rogers into a movie in which case a makeover would be desired.. It would probably would have been cool if they had made the Star Trek movies true to original show right.. complete with vacuum molds and styro foam packaging glued to the walls??

Given from what I recall.. Galactica had better art direction but I recall it being art directed in a very 70's sort of way which actually should be in fashion now..

CG.p
11-30-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by eliseu gouveia Think about it, this is a show that aired once, 20 years ago.
Yet the people who saw it still recollect it fondly to this day.

Yeah that old Hulk cartoon was really good after not seeing it for 20 years. There is no way I remembered is a something better than it was. ;) "Doc Bruce Banner belted by Gamma rays turns into the hulk"...yeah there is no way that could have been bad since I watched it as a six year old.
:)

eliseu gouveia
11-30-2003, 03:59 AM
Gawd, Please tell me I donīt have to explain this yet once again.

The viper has the typical US fighter plane "rescue" sign by the side of the cockpit.
How true to the spirit of the original IS that?

Oh, and letīs not forget the name of the pilot, Lt Pete Hickey; thatīs as american as they come! For crying out loud, if there was something this show DIDNīT have were american names (double exclamation point)!!

This is a show placed either thousand of years ago or thousand of years ahead of our times; (despite the Starbuck name that bogles the mind), it made a point in taking the mythological stance by their choice of names such as Apolo, Cassiopey, Sheba or Pegasus!
Kate ROSLIN?
WILLIAM Adama?

I know it feels good to cuddle that yankee ego, wink at them topgun hotshot marine pilots that are the heroes of the hour in that side of the atlantic by now, but this was a show with an UNIVERSAL appeal that wasnīt restricted to a 300 milion people nation.
By chosing names that werenīt confined by borders, nationalities and languages, they gave the show an universalist feel.

We ALL were aboard that ragtag fleet, black, white, asian, gemmons, capricans.
It was not only about you, it was about us.
Whenever one of those space junks exploded during a cylon attack, it could have been any one of the human race, and thatīs why we an even greater empathy towards the victims.
It was HUMANITY, MANKIND as a whole that was crammed in those rusty sardine cans, not the select few representatives of one western nation.

Now, like Space: Above and Beyond before it, itīs just become an empty military fantasy.
A shell of a mock-up with barely a few familiar names and craft sillhouette to give us the remote impression that theyīre paying tribute to the old show.

Theyīre paying tribute, alright.

To their massive egos.

gmask
11-30-2003, 05:08 AM
>>Gawd, Please tell me I donīt have to explain this yet once again.

It's the first time I've heard it.. personally I never cared for Battle Star Galatica when I was a kid so to me now it's just another remake. But I get what you are saying... America saves the universe in this version..

Actually if these images are authentic works from the movie I'm kind of surprised that they are being shown before the movies release.. normally that kind of thing is not allowed because of NDA's.

eliseu gouveia
11-30-2003, 01:24 PM
I donīt think itīs a matter of NDA violation.
The Powers That Be probably decided themselves to promote the disclosure of such pics to appease the hardcore fanatics who are presently screaming for blood at the blatant liberties they took with the story and the characters.

If they only had the humility to realised that itīs not a question of how pretty the CG looks but what the storyīs about...:rolleyes:

Richard Hatch, save us.....

anieves
11-30-2003, 11:56 PM
those evil westeners!

EVIL, I TELL YA! EEEEEEVVVIIILLLLL!!!!

:rolleyes:

eliseu gouveia
12-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Please donīt turn this into a politics thread.

Itīs not eastern vs western, 3rd world vs industrialised world.

If you took the time to ponder what Iīve written, the original series was CLEARLY about the human race as a whole.

This new...... thing, at its core is basically as GMask so eloquentelly stated, "America saves the universe ".

The original series was about "us". MANKIND
This thing is about "you". Americans.

Just add a Stars and Stripes on the background and it could very well be ID4 all over again.:rolleyes:

aurora
12-01-2003, 01:16 PM
I think this model speaks tons for the movie. It has the basic design of BG's Vipers but it's updated and not all that impressive an update. It has the token grunge on it that spoke so much for the original story yet it keeps it very dim and faint. In fact I bet on the show you would never even notice the grunge exists. They added more details but just for the pretty, not for the function. Did anybody watch the show last week on the making of BG2003? I did not have the stomach to watch it. I loved the original series when I was a kid and still have a few episodes including the original 2 part opener that I had taped. I think I'll stay with the greatness that was.:cry:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.