PDA

View Full Version : Memory in a renderfarm Question

Gregwid
11-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Hi.
I am hoping for an answer on a memory question involving renderfarms.
Assuming I have three PC's with 2 gigs of memory each working together.When I work with this renderfarm will I be getting a full 6 gigs of memory to work with?Or am I still stuck with only a 2 gig ceiling?
Also do all the PC's in a farm reguire the same operating system?
Thanks for any help ahead of time.:beer:

gmask
11-28-2003, 08:10 PM
If you are using the Mental Ray stand alone renderer to process one image across the three comptue rhten in a way you are getting 6gb of ram but not really.

>>>Also do all the PC's in a farm reguire the same operating system?

No but for a matter of convenience having them onthe same platform is a good idea.. IE you could mix WIndows2000,NT Xp etc easily. There are some issues when the processors are not the same architecture like Pentium versus RISC and floating point math. But mixing window and linux should be okay and AMD and Pentim systems seem to play nice.

Gregwid
11-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey thanks Gmask.:beer:

I am using or going to use Mental ray that comes with Max 6. So in other words do I get the full combined 6 gigs of memory power from my machines ? Will I actually have the 6 gigs of power to work with? Thanks again for any more tips.:beer:

gmask
11-28-2003, 08:50 PM
>>>I am using or going to use Mental ray that comes with Max 6. So in other words do I get the full combined 6 gigs of memory power from my machines ? Will I actually have the 6 gigs of power to work with?

Only if you buy additonal licenses of the Mental Ray standalone renderer for your other machines. However as I alluded to before for each chunk sent to the remote machine it will still be limited to the capacities fo that machine.. there is no memory sharing across computers. The presumptions is that each chunk will use less ram that what might be required to render the whole frame on one system but I'm not %100 positive about that. IIt is easier to say that if you have 3 machines and each has a 3ghz proc that you therefore have 9 ghz of rendering power for a single image with the correct setup and Mental Ray... this will cost extra.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.