PDA

View Full Version : SLI 2 GTX 560 1GB multiple GPU or the ATI Radeon HD 6690 4GB

Jinian
07-19-2012, 08:48 AM
I am in the process of getting a new computer. The only thing left is to decide between the SLI 2 GTX 560 1GB multiple GPU or the ATI Radeon HD 6990 4GB card as those are 2 of the most powerful cards available in my area. If i were to get a quadro or firepro card i will have to have it shipped and price may not be within my budget.

I just want to know which would perform better in these scenarios:

-sculpting 20million+polys in zbrush or mudbox
- texture with up to 16k textures in realtime in mudbox,
- render out vray displacement maps and sss2 shaders in hdri lit environments solid fast in maya
- work with realtime tesslation displacement mapping in marmoset engine or udk.
- bake texture maps inside autodesk xsi and xnormal

Also i have yet and still to try 3d coat, agisoft photoscan and UDK, just wondering if those are compatible with an AMD/ATI card

imashination
07-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Neither, SLI/Crossfire multiple cards dont work in any content creation apps, just buy a single GF 560 or 580.

Jinian
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
are you sure though, check this pic out http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/gpu_chart2.png

multiple GPUs are being used to render faster in VRAY, it's from chaosgroup themselves.

Unfortunately, we don't have the GTX 580 in our area, the highest is a GTX 560 but it's only 1 GB. Which on its own, the obvious choice to go would be the radeon hd 6990 4gb, unless it is not compatible in programs like maya, but more importantly mudbox, since that is where i need a graphic card like this most.

vlad
07-19-2012, 08:18 PM
That chart refers to VrayRT in GPU mode which still doesnt support many features present in the original Vray CPU renderer, like proxies and displacements. And afaik, the 6990 is a dual gpu card connected via Crossfire with 2 gb of ram per gpu, meaning that half that hardware sits there doing nothing for any 3D application.

Jinian
07-19-2012, 08:41 PM
nice you brought that up vlad. Yeah, i don't think i'll be using vray GPU that much at all, but more for its CPU renderer. I guess it's the gtx 560 then, or perhaps a single non-crossfire AMD radeon card since the firepro amd cards perform a lot better than the nvidia cards in maya, mudbox and xsi. Correct me if i am wrong but since there is no firepro card available in my area, i'd rather see the radeon cards as a reflection to the performance a firepro card can offer in this case.

cgbeige
07-21-2012, 03:38 AM
don't bother with crossfire - it's only going to cause problems with pro apps. And ZBrush doesn't even use the GPU, so you will see zero benefit there.

and the max texture size for Mudbox 4k...

Jinian
07-23-2012, 09:16 AM
don't bother with crossfire - it's only going to cause problems with pro apps. And ZBrush doesn't even use the GPU, so you will see zero benefit there.

and the max texture size for Mudbox 4k...

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=333
This is the card to be exact that is in the store in my country. i am thinking of getting it since the gtx 560 1Gb is inferior compared to it.

I believe it is a single stand alone video card, the crossfire support is optional if you'd want to. Do you think it will work under windows 7 64bit for programs like maya, vray, mudbox and 3d coat? It still doesn't have CUDA support unfortunately. I just need a good video card for hardware viewport and editing performance more than anything. I don't think i'll be using any GPU renderers anyway.

I have heard though of amd compatibility issues with maya, the hd 6990 included. I am wondering if they have updated the drivers for it on maya 2012, and if mudbox 2013 is compatible in it.

mudbox 2013 now supports up to 32k by the way.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2012, 09:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.