PDA

View Full Version : New Artist need advice

Dendy
07-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Hey guys and girls. I am sure everyone are okay, because i hate the summer, is way to hot here.

So, as the topic say, i am total new here. My main goal is to be character modeler for features films or in games. As first i did steps before i even learn the basics. I went to 3D modeling, got my hands on Max and Zbrush, and after 6 month, i see that, is a bit hard to understand the shapes, volume, anatomy etc.

As character modeler i was told i need to learn anatomy, volume and to understand the shape. So i want to start with that. I would really like to give me some resources for learning human anatomy, i would prefer to be videos, because that's the way i can't learn more easy, than reading books ( i am loosing interest)

Other things i want to learn is color theory and lighting. So to be able to make something really good modelers do, to achieve real characters, or something close.

Then, i was planning for my day training, to spend at least 8 hours of learning human anatomy and drawing, and at least to give 2-3 hours of modeling in max. Or at first i need to focus only in 2D?

asmodai
07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Hey hey. First of all welcome to the forum. :applause:

Its a bit confusing what youīre actually asking but the first step you really need to take is to know really well what you want to model. Is it games or animation film? I would start by there.

Focus on only one subject (drawing or modeling) for a certain period and then go to the other one. You can learn anatomy by sculpting in Zbrush. With trial and error you will start to learn where the muscles are and the right proportions. You donīt need actually to draw anatomy to model it.

And again color theory and lighting are other 2 big areas. I donīt want to demoralize you. What I would advise would be: think about a project and then do it till the end, from modeling to lighting. Donīt go individually to each are because you will lose yourself, unless you have specific goal to achive.

EX:
Lighting : for arquitecture
Texture: real skin
Model: Real human body (anatomically correct)

I am making any sense to you (I can be quite confusing sometimes)?

Cheers

Dendy
07-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Hey hey. First of all welcome to the forum. :applause:

Its a bit confusing what youīre actually asking but the first step you really need to take is to know really well what you want to model. Is it games or animation film? I would start by there.

Focus on only one subject (drawing or modeling) for a certain period and then go to the other one. You can learn anatomy by sculpting in Zbrush. With trial and error you will start to learn where the muscles are and the right proportions. You donīt need actually to draw anatomy to model it.

And again color theory and lighting are other 2 big areas. I donīt want to demoralize you. What I would advise would be: think about a project and then do it till the end, from modeling to lighting. Donīt go individually to each are because you will lose yourself, unless you have specific goal to achive.

EX:
Lighting : for arquitecture
Texture: real skin
Model: Real human body (anatomically correct)

I am making any sense to you (I can be quite confusing sometimes)?

Cheers

You make perfectly sense to me. To be honest both, games and features movies are interest for me. I like the high detail that's put on the movie character/creature, but also i like the detail that's put in the game character, like blizzard and blur.

So what's the best thing you are going to do if you were me?

I like the way to learn anatomy, by sculpting in Zbrush, i will learn Zbrush and anatomy at the same time. Do you know any specific tutorial about this? LIke learning full human anatomy and how to sculpt in Zbrush, from skeleton to muscles and skin.

Bahngoura
07-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi

I would say that drawing and understanding anatomy would be crucial to your work, and it would make your hopefully future job easier and more fun. It dosen't matter right now if you want to do movies or games, it's the same artistic foundations required for both fields.

If you haven't already check out this thread witch discus this topic about being able to draw when doing 3D art: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=166&t=1028244

Look around in the forums for the sticky posts, they are loaded with tons of advice and links and recourses. For example this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=166&t=844409

Actually all you questions is answers by just looking in the General Techniques part of the forum… http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=53

For instance you can find these two links from the previous link:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=202
And there you can find things like, "which anatomy books should I buy". :thumbsup:

One more thing, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but do you want to practice 8 hours a day plus 2-3 hours or modeling?? Every single day!?
It's great that you have the motivation, but I don't know if your brain will be able to use all that time to the fullest specially if you have a life besides that like going to school or having a job.

Hopefully some of these link will help you becoming the super skilled master that you want to be. :cool:

BillyWJ
09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi

One more thing, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but do you want to practice 8 hours a day plus 2-3 hours or modeling?? Every single day!?
It's great that you have the motivation, but I don't know if your brain will be able to use all that time to the fullest specially if you have a life besides that like going to school or having a job.

That's not an unreasonable amount of time, if you look at the amount of time you'd be spending if you were in college studying art. I majored in Illustration in college, and I spent at least that much time every day in class or in the studio, drawing and painting every day during the week, and later on towards the end of my Senior Year, as portfolio review approached, even on weekends. I also worked throughout that time, and had a life - even a girlfriend. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.