PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio Queries

Skhinv
07-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Hello Everyone..

I am Shobhit Khinvasara, from India. I recently completed my Bachelors in Computer Science & Engineering. However now I am looking for a change in direction and I want to get into Animation.

I have been researching universities in the US for some time now, and I came across some schools which give MFA in Animation. However they require a portfolio for admission.

I have no idea where to start. I have been sketching for sometime now, I have even dabbled in 3d Modelling in Maya, I made a project using MEL code in my Final year in engineering. I recently joined a course in Digital painting. But I don't know what exactly people in the universities want.

I have around one year to apply as well as prepare a portfolio. Any suggestions, help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot. :)

razorbjc
07-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Do you specifically want to do artwork for animation or do you just want to work in the animation industry?

because 3d animation involves A TON of tech/programming and if you have a degree in computer science you are already on track for technical director positions. You would work on fx simulations, rigging, renderers, pipeline tools, etc...

In fact, getting into animation as a TD is probably easier than getting in as an artist (animator, modeler, lighter, concept artist, etc....). Fewer people want to do the technical stuff.

So I'd recommend finding a computer science MFA program that has courses in computer graphics. I know my school, Carnegie Mellon University, had this: http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/
These programs wouldn't ask you for art portfolios, just good grades and an interest in graphics.

Skhinv
07-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Do you specifically want to do artwork for animation or do you just want to work in the animation industry?

because 3d animation involves A TON of tech/programming and if you have a degree in computer science you are already on track for technical director positions. You would work on fx simulations, rigging, renderers, pipeline tools, etc...

In fact, getting into animation as a TD is probably easier than getting in as an artist (animator, modeler, lighter, concept artist, etc....). Fewer people want to do the technical stuff.

So I'd recommend finding a computer science MFA program that has courses in computer graphics. I know my school, Carnegie Mellon University, had this: http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/
These programs wouldn't ask you for art portfolios, just good grades and an interest in graphics.

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah well I considered what you are suggesting, and I am hundred percent sure that I want to go for the artwork part of animation(concept artist, character designer, character animator, storyboard artist).

Although I have worked on technical part of animation(MEL code project), its the artwork part of animation industry which fascinates me, visualizing new characters, how they would move, storyboards etc.

I am definitely looking for an arts program. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2012, 04:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.