PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Workstation build, help?

getmad12
07-15-2012, 05:02 PM
I've just started getting into compositing and am now ready to take the plunge and purchase my first workstation.

At the moment i'm only running a acer G5900.

Should I go pre-built or get a custom machine?

Budget-wise I don't want to really go over 1500 on the desktop.
and 400 on a monitor.

It is mainly going to be used with Nuke, with a small amount of Photoshop and Maya.

I was thinking a HP Z series. with a Xeon processor and quadro 2000 card. or a custom built machine with a similar spec.

any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated. especially with the monitor.

cgbeige
07-15-2012, 07:14 PM
unless you need the on-site warranty, you won't get much for 1500 pounds from HP, Dell, BOXX, etc.

This is what I built recently and it's great:

http://www.can-con.ca/tumblrpics/pc_build.jpg

Overclocked, it's getting the same render speeds as my dual 6-core 2.66GHz Mac Pro 2010 Xeon.

I'm using a Quadro 4000 and SSD I had from before. Those are Canadian dollars, which is almost par with the US right now (0.99c).

getmad12
07-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the reply cgbeige

So you think going for an overclocked i7 wouldn't make much of a difference compared to a xeon?

I just heard that Nuke prefers a xeon processor to run on. but if the difference is only small then overclocking could be the better option.

could I get any help about a monitor?

I was looking at this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/263932-asus-pa246q-lcd-tft-24-hdmi-monitor-pa246q

anygood?

cgbeige
07-15-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't think Nuke cares about what CPU it runs on. It's not a video card - it's all the same to the application. Unless you're doing a lot of 3D rendering in Nuke, few but faster cores is better since video apps are less capable of saturating all threads than 3D renderers are.

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2012, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.