PDA

View Full Version : Low Polygon Workflow...

Quizboy
11-28-2003, 08:49 AM
(edit: Please check out mesh in progress on Page 2>>>)

Hi folks,

New to Low-Poly modeling, but I want to try and do a good job by taking the time to prepare well.

If I understand correctly, the steps are as follows:

1. Sketch my character: side & front (preferrably in proportional modeling pose?)
2. Load in my sketches as reference into image planes
3. Model from head to toe/fingers (I'll probably use box-style)

modeling approach: start big, get major form in, progressively add detail, only where absolutely necessary to define form, follow edge loops for animation. (Use quads to model, and then triangulate it all at the end? Target: under 4000 triangles?)

4. UV Map the entire character (as one 1024 texture, or as 1024 body, 512 head?)
5. Paint Texture in Photoshop (or other) and apply.
6. Rig character and Roll!

This is my current understanding. I could use some clarification of a few issues:

A: I am modeling a female fighting character. Where can I find good reference mesh images of proven acceptable topology?

For example the sci-fi girlee in this thread http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105704 is looking nice. Can I trust this mesh as a good reference? What about head close-up meshes?

B: How many polys for the head as opposed to the body?

C: Is one full body texture map better, or more?

D: How long should this workflow take someone mildly experienced, working at a game company? As in what's my target speed (in work days) after doing a few, to achieve reasonably high quality - not including rigging? (As in enough to impress someone and get a job doing this?)

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me, and bring me up to speed in this new area of 3D for me.

GrandCherub
11-28-2003, 10:03 AM
New to Low-Poly modeling, but I want to try and do a good job by taking the time to prepare well.
If I understand correctly, the steps are as follows:

1. Sketch my character: side & front (preferrably in proportional modeling pose?)

Well this is open for many options; side,front or two perspective views drawed from back to front. Or really whatever you find usefull.

3. Model from head to toe/fingers (I'll probably use box-style)

Humanoid extremities should be modeled from a circular shape since, as stated in many tutorials, this gives you an easier way to approadh the overall shape. Heads are however best modeled from a box shape.

modeling approach: start big, get major form in, progressively add detail, only where absolutely necessary to define form, follow edge loops for animation. (Use quads to model, and then triangulate it all at the end? Target: under 4000 triangles?)

Also when you build up the major shape make sure its suitable for the amount of detail you intend to put in it.
And try not to blend tri's with quads too much or you might get trouble with both the UVs and animation.

4. UV Map the entire character (as one 1024 texture, or as 1024 body, 512 head?)

Depends on the detail you want to put in the model and what polygon range your aiming for. If you are aiming at 4000 tris as you said then a 512 for the head and a 1024 for the rest would be to prefer

This is my current understanding. I could use some clarification of a few issues:

A: I am modeling a female fighting character. Where can I find good reference mesh images of proven acceptable topology?

www.fineart.sk

B: How many polys for the head as opposed to the body?

is usually model the head first then optimize it to the body.
So if you have a 4000 poly model then maybe 500-700 to the head and the rest goes to the body.

C: Is one full body texture map better, or more?

You should keep the whole body to one map to maintain simplicity.

D: How long should this workflow take someone mildly experienced, working at a game company? As in what's my target speed (in work days) after doing a few, to achieve reasonably high quality - not including rigging? (As in enough to impress someone and get a job doing this?)

1-2 days for concepting and modelling and maybe 1-2 for mapping it and skinning.

Quizboy
11-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks a bunch Grand Cherub, this sets me on the right track for sure.

The only question that still remains is where to find good references for Low-Poly model topology. i went to fineart.sk but they seem to only have human reference. what i need to see is how a well done low-poly mesh should look. Up close and from various angles, so I can copy, err, learn from it.

Anyone can refer me to some "accredited" low-poly female character meshes?

Quizboy
11-28-2003, 04:05 PM
or are there artists who are well-known as solid low-poly modelers who have their mesh somewhere on display?

Quizboy
11-28-2003, 11:27 PM
anybody have any reference suggestions for looking at good quality low-poly meshes? especially female characters?

i know i'm starting off a bit heavy already with 1200+ and no arms or legs!!!

baaah888
11-29-2003, 01:22 AM
Just posting to question Grand cherubs timescale per model.

1-2 days concept and modelling and 1-2 mapping and skinning.

I think that he's really generalised You have to work out things like what type of game etc.

I mean a beat em up the characters are highly deformable and are the focus of the screen all the time so have to look excelent. I'd say anyhting up to 20 days for a tekken or DOA esq character would be acceptable. As it really does have to be amazing.

But then something like GTA a character could be done in 2-4 days like he said.

So either a range of models of varying time would look Or if you know what company your trying to get into then guess or email one of their artists about the timescales as they're usually happy to answer questions if you ask nice enough and it wouldnt breach their NDA's.

But the longer they take the better designed and more complex they should be (theoretically)

Quizboy
11-29-2003, 10:30 AM
baaah, where can i see some good meshes?

Dargon
11-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Great Tutorial (http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/benmathis/benmathis_1.asp)

OK, for game art, you eventually want tris. How you get there is kind of irrelevant. But, of course, good topology is important. Not quite in the same way as in high poly art, though, because much of game art is so low, that you do not have the polys to be so picky.

As a former teacher (now a game artist), I can give you the following advice:

Always count in triangles, not polygons.

See this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99971&highlight=Dargon) for ways to ensure you're getting the right triangle count for your program.

Start small. Start with modeling characters with 500 tris. This will give you a better idea of form, and you will really have to push to get anything out of the model. I've seen characters with 500 tris that look like they have at least 2000!

Work your way up in size slowly, practicing a lot.

An idea is to create a small army for a RTS game. Decide upon some characters, and some poly count targets. Start with making the lowest targeted ones, and move your way up to the highest ones.

A 500 tri model you should be able to model and texture in less than a day.

Move from there up to 800, then 1000, then 1500, 2000, 3000, then 4000.

Texture sizes? For the PS2, the highest single texture size you could get is a 256X256, but as a general rule, it prefers 64X64.

With your 1st few models, start with low texture sizes like this. It will take you less time, and it will help you learn the techniques to pushing every pixel, that will become that extra push that you'll need to make fantastically detailed 1024 textures, instead of (what I've seen so many do) wasteful 1024 textures that could of been done just as well with a 512.

Good luck!

Quizboy
11-29-2003, 01:01 PM
ooh, this is good. I dare say, ideal even...that tutorial is exactly what i needed. thanks dargon!

have you ever thought of using low poly models as a way to illustrate a comic book? have you seen anyone do this?

GrandCherub
11-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by baaah888
Just posting to question Grand cherubs timescale per model.

1-2 days concept and modelling and 1-2 mapping and skinning.

I think that he's really generalised You have to work out things like what type of game etc.

I mean a beat em up the characters are highly deformable and are the focus of the screen all the time so have to look excelent. I'd say anyhting up to 20 days for a tekken or DOA esq character would be acceptable. As it really does have to be amazing.

But then something like GTA a character could be done in 2-4 days like he said.

So either a range of models of varying time would look Or if you know what company your trying to get into then guess or email one of their artists about the timescales as they're usually happy to answer questions if you ask nice enough and it wouldnt breach their NDA's.

But the longer they take the better designed and more complex they should be (theoretically)

Very true. I was just lazy sorry :P

EDIT: and Dargon, sure the ps2/xbox generation consoles can handle mostly up to 256x256 sized texture maps, however if your enter education now i think you should keep in mind that the next generation is right at the doorstep (Xenon,ps3). The next generation of consoles will be alot better at handling less compromised textures so id say 512 atleast. I didnt pay attention to that Quizboys workflow was for console games so thats why i said 1024+ (i must really be tired).

Dargon
11-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Quizboy
ooh, this is good. I dare say, ideal even...that tutorial is exactly what i needed. thanks dargon!

have you ever thought of using low poly models as a way to illustrate a comic book? have you seen anyone do this?

No prob, Quizboy!

And actually, yes I have thought of that, and I'm (slowly) working on one, I'm calling it Cudgel, and it's going to be a pisstake on fantasy games! There are some concepts on my website...

EDIT: and Dargon, sure the ps2/xbox generation consoles can handle mostly up to 256x256 sized texture maps, however if your enter education now i think you should keep in mind that the next generation is right at the doorstep (Xenon,ps3). The next generation of consoles will be alot better at handling less compromised textures so id say 512 atleast.

Actually, the Xbox handles 512, my bad for not mentioning it, but the point is not how much the hardware can handle, it's what is an appropriate amount to use. In the game we are working on, a typical level will have about 35-40 textures at 64X64, and about 5-8 alpha'd textures, ranging from 32X32, to 64X64. The main characters have 1 or 2 256X256's, but most of our AI have 64X64's, or at most 128X128. With all of that, plus special effects, we are pretty much at the limit for the PS2's texture memory.

I think you even find, on the PC, similar numbers for say, RPGs - or perhaps even lower. If a character or vehicle is never going to be bigger than 32 pixels, there's not a lot of reason to have a 1024 X1024 on it!

The PS2 has 32mb of texture memory, the Xbox 64mb, and the PS2 is rumoured to have 128mb. Even at that, it doesn't leave a lot of room for tonnes of large-scale textures!

Quizboy
11-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Wait a minute. I know what an RPG is, and an NDA...but what's a GTA and an RTS? ...and do i have to worry about modeling that onto my girl, 'cause she's already up over 2500 tris and I still have to give her a hairstyle and detail her gloves and shoes.

(sorry dargon that I overshot the 500 tri goal...)

eirenicon
11-29-2003, 03:46 PM
GTA is Grand Theft Auto, the game. RTS is Real-Time Strategy. An example of an RTS game would be StarCraft. 3d RTS games include WarCraft III and Age of Mythology.

I just want to address your question on time constraints. For me, it takes two to three days to model, unwrap, and texture a character (this does not include concept work or rigging). The polycount doesn't really affect the time taken. With a high poly budget, you spend your time using the polys, and with a low poly budget you spend your time saving polys. It's as hard to create a good 300-poly model as it is to create a 3000-poly model.

Just always remember the prime rule of low-poly models - the silhouette is king.

erikN
11-29-2003, 04:25 PM
hey!

thanks for showing that tutorial!

It was really ideal for my needs to :D

thanks again!

Quizboy
11-29-2003, 04:57 PM
oh, thanks. RTS's are cool.

so, dargon. what does a game company like yours look for in portfolio of an artist who applies? let's say they make GTAs and RTSs and all that...and i want to be a modeler/texturer there? Can I show them just one good character and get the job?

Quizboy
11-30-2003, 01:08 AM
Ok, so here's the current status of the model i started yesterday, using the advice (more or less) of the big boys here who chimed in - cherub, dargon, etc...

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skrough001.jpg

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skrough002.jpg

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skrough003.jpg

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skrough004.jpg

I hope you guys can see the mesh well enough to give me feedback for improvements. My main questions at this point are:

Is that how ears are done? Just flat like that and painted on later?

Do I need as many rings around the eyes as i have?

Is this ok topology-wise for body animation?

Anything else that sticks out as blatantly wrong. I posted the mesh in quads, since looking at tris doesn't mean anything to me except a count number. Converted to tris this model weighs...3,256 tris.

Oh, and please ignore the aesthetics of the face for now. Once I get approval on the overall body, mesh, etc I'll start tweaking the face to make her a little less...how should i put this?...ROUGH!

Quizboy
11-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Well, here's Silent Killer to the best of my current skillset:

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skbody001.jpg

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skbody002.jpg

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skbody003.jpg

Quizboy
11-30-2003, 12:57 PM
http://www.xinxang.com/images/skbody004.jpg

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skbody005.jpg

3310 trigonal polys.

Comments please before I go to texturing!

TheWriter
12-01-2003, 02:14 AM
The PS2 has 32mb of texture memory

I know a few PS2 coders who will insist the console has far less texture memory than that.

marshall6912
12-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by timothyD

Just always remember the prime rule of low-poly models - the silhouette is king.

Can you elaborate further?I take it that you mean shadowing?

Jonny Bubonic
12-01-2003, 10:33 AM
The silhouette he's talking about is how the model looks when you can't see any surface detail or shadow. The model should ideally be distinct from its outline alone, if possible. For example, Mickey Mouse can be recognised from just a black silhouette, because he has such a strong basic shape, with those big round ears. Same goes for Batman (ears, cloak, jaggy bits on his forearms), etc. etc. That means when you are designing your character, try to come up with something that has a good, distinct shape, with at least one feature that makes it recognisable from its silhouette alone.

In Maya, to check your model's silhouette, remove or hide any lights in the scene (apart from the default lights), then hit 7 to "use all lights". This should show you your model in silhouette form.

Model's looking really good for an early go at game art, by the way :D

marshall6912
12-01-2003, 01:58 PM
I see,thanx for the answer.

Quizboy
12-02-2003, 12:20 AM
My model doesn't really have anything distinct in her silhouette i don't think. except maybe her devil's horns hairstyle.

...maybe i should give her a pogo stick. not too many assassin characters have that.

Quizboy
12-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Quick question on rigging: Do models for games use deformation solutions such as influence objects, or wrap deformers, or do we strictly keep to painting of weights?

Dargon
12-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Games can literally be programed to use anything that you could devise, but usually, I think you would find that they would prefer to keep the data use low, and not only avoid influence objects, but smooth skinning as well. Rigid bind would probably be more common.

But don't let that affect your work, unless you are looking to specialize in rigging. There are plenty of tricks that can create similar looks to what you get with Smooth Bind and influence objects that could be done with rigid bind. So the end result could very easily look the same.

If you already have a decent handle on how to smooth bind, I'd stick to that.

That is of course, unless you are thinking of going for jobs in rigging....

Quizboy
12-02-2003, 11:13 PM
i'm an open book, dargon. so if you say rigid binding it is, then rigid bind it is.

as far as my understanding is concerned the only difference between smooth and rigid bind is that smooth uses multiple joint influences per CV while rigid uses one. in fact if you input 1 as no. of max influences in the smooth bind options box (in maya) you've got exactly the same as a rigid bind.

my only question would be then, how do they get the characters to look good while they are animating if only a rigid bind is used, because there are usually still problem areas that don't deform properly?

Quizboy
12-03-2003, 02:38 AM
i'm assuming that painting of weights is still ok with a rigid bind? or is that too much data for game rigging? what about flexor lattices?

Jonny Bubonic
12-03-2003, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure I agree with Dargon on this one...most games , even on PoS2, have at least some smooth bound characters. I'd go for smooth skinned for learning purposes, especially on a model like the one you're working on now. Just try to keep the number of bones you use down to a minimum, without compromising too much, and keep max influences per vert to 3 at most.
There are two ways to build the rigid, one-weight-per vertex type of character that I know of. Firstly, the GTA vice city way, which has some very low poly supporting characters that appear to be smooth bound, but with only one weight per vertex, and so their joints fold and collapse all over the place. Doesn't matter too much though because they're just background.
The second way, which I unfortunately have to use all the time, is to build your character in separate pieces, ie separate head, neck etc. Again all verts have only one influence, and because the body parts are separate pieces you don't get collapsing at the joints. This is at the expense of some other things, like horrible UV layouts, and some weird sticky-out polys when the model is in extreme poses. Because its not a continuous surface you get some nasty lighting stuff going on as well. But I'm not bitter..... :) This type of character is generally used when you can't see it too close, like in a real-time strategy game. It's probably worth trying out both types of character, with the emphasis on smooth skinned ones.

Quizboy
12-03-2003, 09:47 PM
i've given it a start, we'll see how it goes a couple of ways. Basically i need it to allow my animation to look good since that's what i study and most likely what i'll apply for when i go for a job.

nealb4me
12-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Hey quizboy,

I was thinking of starting a similar thread myself but u beat me to it. Lately I have been searching for resources on lowpoly models and trying to find out how best to model them for nice deformation and overall appearance. However there doesnt seem to be much out there on this specific topic. I have just completed a low poly female coming in at 2916 tris and am playing with the uv's now.

I found a good video tut on polycount that i found extremely useful, even though it is of a male character, i could apply the same techniques to the female model and i am happy with the result. Paramilitary Punk (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/general/video_tutorials/video-tut-list.shtml)

Looking at your model there, i think you could improve the overall shape and smoothness with that polycount. The fingers could use an extra segment for deformation and i think u have wasted a few polys on the neck area. But besides that it seems pretty decent

Quizboy
12-04-2003, 02:26 PM
ah yes the neck. assuming i am able to eliminate a few polys there and elsewhere, where do you think the form could use the most improvement?

erik2003
12-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Hey man, you're getting there and most things on the model have been said already, but the face and more precisely the corners of the mouth bother me. I can see edgeloops there that terminate for no reason and there is not a nice mesh flow. Nothing that cannot be helped though. But it needs to be adressed if you want facial animation.

E.

Quizboy
12-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi folks,

with this painting of weights for my game character, do I need to just restrict my weight painting to joints on one side of the body and along the spine, and then simply mirror all the weights? or do you normally just keep on painting the whole body until it's done?

(in maya) i'm using smooth bind with max 3 influences.

erik2003
12-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Just use mirror skin weights.

Try out the different directions until you got the right axis for mirroring and make sure you got the whole side covered.

If your model is not symmetric this won't work though.

GL.

E.

PS. Amsterdam Rules

Quizboy
12-07-2003, 07:50 PM
thanks erik

and yes, Amsterdam rules.

Quizboy
12-07-2003, 07:52 PM
what do you do out here?

Quizboy
12-07-2003, 08:20 PM
ok i think i see it now. my workflow needs to be: position character in extreme position, paint weights. constantly change position and paint weights until the influence balance is optimal (as optimal as it's going to get) for all positions for that shoulder or hip or whatever. Keep my painting strictly to one side - except for 0-axis joints on the spine, mirror everything when done while character is symmetrical.

is this correct?

Poopinmymouth
12-08-2003, 03:49 AM
hehe, thanks dargon for the plug. I figured i would post some of my wires here for you to look at.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/Game/arttestpunk_wire.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/face_02.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/face_06.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/horse_process/horse_armor_wireframe.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/cgchat/beast_01.jpg

and to reiterate on the silhouette thing. In the recent Play magazine Girls of Gaming addition, over 50 top game designers were asked what the most important aspect of character design is, and over 45 of them mentioned the silhouette

*edit: oh yeah, almost forgot. The model looks really nice, especially for your first one. Keep it up man!

erik2003
12-08-2003, 07:30 AM
Hey,

What i do in Amsterdam? well, live the good life of course ;-) and i work at a game company called Guerrilla, making cutscenes for an upcoming title.

Quizboy
12-08-2003, 04:28 PM
omg, erik. you work for the people i'm targeting my portfolio to. practically the only game company in NL that even uses Maya. and you do cinematics? that makes you my hero.

ok, i'm going need you to keep watching my progress on this board and become my Obi Wan that shows me the ways of the force and guides me toward proper Jedi technique...Guerrilla Style!

I had heard Guerrilla was looking for people from Mariska who is a texture artist there. Is that still the case and/or will it be for about another 2 months while I get my act together to present my work?

erik2003
12-08-2003, 05:46 PM
;-) I'm really not qualified for being anyone's hero, i'm just one of the guys digging the trenches over there, certainly not one of the gurus.

They are (and probably will be) still hiring as it is really difficult to get good people in holland. You should always try to send your stuff over and get yourself an interview or at least hear what you need to do to get one, be bold! Be sure to send only the good stuff though.... ;-)

E.

Quizboy
12-08-2003, 06:16 PM
cheers, erik! i'll send some stuff over soon enough, just as soon as i get it to pass the cgtalk test first.

by letting the good folks here, like yourself, check out my work and critique what i'm doing at each phase of the game - i can't see any way that i can go wrong.

How many people are over there digging trenches with you?

Prs-Phil
12-08-2003, 09:25 PM
wow really erik2003 is it really that hard to get ppl in holland because I WOULD love to work in Holland as a 3d charartist and I think I would be up for it.

Holland --- 3d Art --- > *DrEAm*

If you want to see some of my stuff jst write me or post here ...

oh yeah holland ... *dream* *dream* dream

Quizboy
12-09-2003, 06:41 AM
hey poopinmymouth, thanks for the wires. good stuff. how many polys is that street punk actually? looking at that wire of his head he seems pretty high poly to me.

so that begs the question: what is the line between low-poly and high-poly?

erik2003
12-09-2003, 07:56 AM
I'm not allowed to tell, really ;-)

Prs-Phil
12-09-2003, 08:59 AM
well it seams that erik is not reading my post so IŽll go and try to awnser your question.

The Punks head is not that dense it just looks that way because the whole body had to fit into the picture.

There is probably no clear defined line between highpoly and lowpoly. Chars in console fightinggames have up to 40k (from what IŽve read, or was it 25k)
IŽd say the way you go at it is the thing that defines the high from low poly. In lowpoly you try to "fake" form to an extent that they look real, you inhance that with different surface maps.
Highpoly aims for a realistic presentation of what is beeing worked on.
So a lowpoly finger is maybe a extruded box or a cylinder while in highpoly that finger is modled with as much detail possible (you also have to make sure that it doesnt take forever to render but thats another issue ;) )

Thats how I would define it, maybe if I look at the question later IŽll think of something new.

la_piaga
12-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Just a precisation relative to texture sizes: Even if you'll hardly go beyond 1024x1024, nv2a (xbox gpu) handles textures of up to 4096x4096 texels.

Quizboy
12-09-2003, 11:14 AM
ok, i've got about 4 characters now which will be interacting with that first one in a little series of animations.

i'm painting the weights while the model is still quads. i just want to check if this is ok before i finish weight painting on all 4.

if that is ok, then shortly i'll post some poses for you to critique the deformation on and you all can have some fun at my expense.

cheers!

Poopinmymouth
12-09-2003, 02:10 PM
the punk is 2500 polys, and the head had to have movable eyes and a mouth for lipsync, including teeth planes. Its for a game where you get pretty close up on the heads, so the faces have a little higher budget in poly's and texture space.

Quizboy
12-09-2003, 02:18 PM
i do like the look of that head mesh. it looks like it's got as many polys as my hi-res head topology!

Jonny Bubonic
12-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Hey Quizboy, in answer to your question, yes it's ok to paint your weights on quads, because you are weighing the verts not the faces. Its also easier to see what you're doing as well. Make sure you triangulate any faces that look like they need the invisible edge flipped though (if they are deforming badly, or causing other problems).

Quizboy
12-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks JB! Poses coming soon...it's taking a bit longer than planned because i went back and cleaned up the meshes (i think) for a bit more efficiency and better deformation (i hope) and now i'm starting the weight-painting all over again.

Jonny Bubonic
12-11-2003, 06:21 PM
One more thing, once you've got your model weighed, try to avoid changing the geometry if possible. Any extra history will slow down your workflow, as animation playback in the viewports will get worse and worse the more history you have on the model. It might cause other problems too, depending on the exporter used for the game. If you really have to make some changes (like playing around with UV maps, for example), make a copy of the model, make any changes on that version,delete history and ungroup everything then copy the skeleton and weights onto it. Presto, clean model. :)
Also, Maya's mirror weights can be quirky about any verts that lie on the centreline of the model, so avoid them as much as possible. If your UV layout and texture space allows you to have an asymmetrical model, go for it.

Neil
12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
In regards to way back at the beginning...who suggested you use a sphere to start a model? I sincerely disagree. Spheres have too many polys and have 2 points (unless you use geo-spheres).

Go box all the way! That's why we call it box-modeling

Quizboy
12-11-2003, 11:52 PM
ooh, did someone suggest i use a sphere? no way, i use a box. i'm more an intuitive type and a box just 'feels' so comfortable.

anyway here is a pose of my girl to show deformation now that she's rigged and weighted. it's a bit of a tug-of-war with only 3 influences, especially for me 'cause i'm not exactly sure what's good. i know i'm not 100% happy with all the deformations, but at the same time i don't know if it gets any better with just 3 influences. maybe you can tell me...

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skdeform.jpg

Quizboy
12-12-2003, 12:04 AM
plus i reworked her face mesh a bit to make it (supposedly) more logical and efficient.

http://www.xinxang.com/images/skfacemesh.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.