PDA

View Full Version : photoshop books

darkknight
11-28-2003, 08:06 AM
hey guys, how are you all doing?

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on any good photoshop books to buy. I have been recommended the 'photoshop wow' books but i'd seen one and not sure if it would make a good purchase and be really useful.

Cheers Guys.

dark knight

nerinho
11-29-2003, 01:04 AM
nice coincidence darkknight, I just wanted to start a new thread for a similar question. So here's my request, hope you don't mind dk :p

Yesterday I finished the last PS-book " PHOTOSHOP FACE TO FACE" published by FRIENDS of ED.

ISBN 1-903450-84-5

My humble opinion: GREAT :thumbsup: all helpful tips about facemodding, retouching and stuff for very different techniques and goals..

Great if you can handle Photoshop's tools a little. This book is really not for beginners looking for some fast tutorials or walkthroughs. You want to profit from spending 44.99USD this needs more than just half an hour a day. It's not about filtering the hell out of your images!!

Like these two I made using the books guides:

http://www.maintek.de/quickpics/facemodding03.jpg

Maybe this helps you darkknight maybe not..

OK, now that I did every chapter twice I'm looking for some new techniques/challenges.. Some tutorials around the net are quite helpful, but normally for beginners.
Maybe something about space or landscapes or non-digital drawing. I don't want to spend my little money ( student for 2,5 years now and no extra money after buying a new cpu and plenty of RAM! ).
You would really help me out

Thanks and nite,

nerinho

PS. stop spending time judging my lame english ;)

darkknight
11-29-2003, 02:43 PM
Thanks nerinho to replying to my thread, much appreciated.

By the look of those images, it seems that the book is a fantastic learning aid.

Not sure if i can help at all but found this website yesterday: -

http://www.tutorialfind.com/tutorials/default.asp

might be of some use but havent had a properly chance to check out any of the tutorials.

Anyways, cool images nerin and thanks again

darkknight

Insider
11-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I've not posted on the Photoshop side before!

New Riders Publishing has some great new Photoshop books out. I just got the "Glitter Guru" and "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching." Great books, with cool insight to practices and methods. Also, the Photoshop Killer Tips book from Scott Kelby is a must have.

See ya!

nerinho
11-30-2003, 10:31 PM
thnx :thumbsup:

sounds interesting, could you please tell us the publisher or even better the ISBN?

Insider
11-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Sure -
New Riders Publishing

Check here:
http://newriders.com/isapi/session_id~{438436CE-87DE-4A9D-AB75-2898038AF00D}/st~73BBC1E0-8583-4ABE-81B1-2F48A4C963AA/books/index.asp

nerinho
12-01-2003, 09:39 AM
and thnx again :bounce:

New Riders Publishing has some great new Photoshop books out.... now I got it :rolleyes:

Couldn't find "glitter guru" and "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching." so far.

Here's the ISBN for "Photoshop 7 Killer Tips": 0735713006
and for "Photoshop 6 Killer Tips": 0735712093

OK, got a lot of learning this week, so cya next weekend..

Peace!

mokba
12-02-2003, 09:29 PM
nerinho,
Any work by Ben Willmore, but especially his Photoshop 7 Studio Technique book. Ben is a master at explaining what all those features that you wonder about do! Check out this volume at http://www.digitalmastery.com/book/
mokba

mokba
12-02-2003, 09:30 PM
sorry, should have addressed that last reply to darkknight!

nerinho
12-07-2003, 12:59 PM
great .. thnx !!!! :thumbsup:

and another thnx for the comments darkknight :p

Just phoned with my mother - this christmas I'll get some PS-books instead of cloths that don't fit....

Andini
12-10-2003, 12:55 PM
I just took a look at the Photoshop 7 WOW book and all I can say is, "WOW!" I was very impressed. It's much worth taking a look at.

Steve McRae
12-12-2003, 01:01 AM
I don't know when a CS version will be out but "Photoshop 7 Artistry" by Barry Haynes and Wendy Crumpler is a great book if you are using Photoshop specifically for photography or photo retouching.

ZEROSKULL
12-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Yup what everyone has said, get the new rider books, it will teach you some nice tricks. :) I bought the Down and dirty tricks tho :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.