PDA

View Full Version : Need Texturing Help Please

Ashe Tie'skar
11-28-2003, 06:56 AM
Howdy Folks,

This is my first Texture Map. It is missing something, well, it is probably missing alot, but I would like some help on figuring out what is missing. I think i need more variations in color, but i don't really know what i am doing, or what i am going and that is why i am asking for help.

Anyway, please give me some ideas for the texture map... What Color and Designs i should use and all that good stuff.

It is a texture map for a snakeman character thing i am trying to create.

Thanks!

Texture Map (http://www.shadyvale.net/kaledorn/UVMap%20copy.jpg)

Front (http://www.shadyvale.net/kaledorn/Front.jpg)

Front Closeup (http://www.shadyvale.net/kaledorn/frontcloseup2.jpg)

Back (http://www.shadyvale.net/kaledorn/back%20yellow.jpg)

Tahl'eN
11-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Would help of we could see what the character looks like in his skin, rather than just trying to make it up from the unwrapping.

Ashe Tie'skar
11-28-2003, 06:08 PM
ok, i added some links to my first post.

How do you make a texture map that really turns people heads?

Thanks,

muyo
12-02-2003, 04:21 PM
me too,when i do the skin painting, i got stuck in detail,sometime confuse and dont know what to do with dodge and burn to make the texture look detail

Tahl'eN
12-03-2003, 12:59 AM
Turning heads is still something I'm trying to figure out myself. Contrast is a good start. You might want to use blue and dark orange in stead of yellow.
Aside from that, study snakes. Lots and lots of snakes. That'll give you insight into how to make it believable. Plus, there are some really cool things that snakes have going on as far as color goes.

Dargon
12-03-2003, 01:07 AM
Try this:

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/benmathis/benmathis_textures_1.asp

Ashe Tie'skar
12-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi All,

Thank you for the advice and input. It really helps.

I have updated the links, so please check out the links in my original post and tell me if i am going in the right direction or the wrong direction and what i should change.

Thanks for the help!

Ashe

twindragon
12-04-2003, 07:17 AM
If you are using photoshop find a picture...a high resolution version if possible...of a snake or whatever you are trying to convey and overlay it on to the texture map to add realistic detail such as scales for snakes....if you can't paint with a mouse get yourself a wacom tablet.

Tahl'eN
12-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Why are there scales visable on front closeup, but in none of the other pictures? in an case, the scales need to be on top of the red and yellow stripes.
The stripes are a great start. Very sketchy at this point, but a great start. I'm not digging the colors though. It's very Superman. Not certain what would fix that, though.

Akildee
12-04-2003, 04:29 PM
twindragon's right. Study snakes and see what makes them look like they do. I know you'll want change your skin and stripes when you start looking at some pics of high res snakes. Also you have to completley ditch that color scheme. Is ther a reason that you can'g go with a more traditional color scheme(greens, browns, and dark charcoal). The fastest way is to us a bitmap overlay layer of skales, then paint over it with paint brush and dodge and burn. Get a wacom for sure. using a mouse is going to slow you way down. As for the map, try to use more of the map space so your textures will look better on the model. And to me it looks as if you should make the "tail" part of the snake longer if you wish to animate. Hope this helps.

akil

Ashe Tie'skar
12-04-2003, 06:38 PM
The scales on the Front Closeup is a bump map that i created using a seamless diamond texture i made... The bump map isn't set very high, so you can only see them upclose and not far away. I really have no idea what i am doing with texture maps and all this, this is my first one, so i hope i will be learning alot.

As far as the colors go, i was imagining a sapphire blue character, maybe a ruby red, and an emerald green character, but i don't know what colors i should use to give the patterns, let alone what the patterns look like. I have looked at some snake pictures, but replicating it harder then i thought.

Akildee i appericiate the input, and i am willing to change anything really, but i would like to know why you think i will want to change the skin, and change the color scheme.

The color just look terrible together? the stripes are too straight?

Thanks again! I really appericiate all the help!

Akildee
12-06-2003, 11:35 PM
As far as the skin goes, I just mean that right now, the pattern you have isn't enough to make it look snake like like. Even in someting more loony-cartoony, which is what I think you're going for, you need to be more accurate as far as the texture of the screen. As for the color, I really just don't think they are working together in any way. Think about what kind of mood the character is supposed to embody. Evil? You may want to try dark greens and browns. Certain colors connote something about the characters character. Your color scheme is saying nothing but "I'm not sure what colors to use yet!". Try going to stenarts.com and look at some of their color schemes and how they work with their characters. As for the texture, just keep working it. Add as much detail as possible! It will only help it to look more professional. Hope this helps.

akil

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.