PDA

View Full Version : Maya C++ book recommendations?

Skeletor1
07-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm new to programming in Maya and would like advice on where to start. I thought I would get a book, but other suggestions are also welcome (websites etc.).

I have some experience in C++ and OpenGL plus other languages from when I studied at uni, so I thought I would just take the bull by the horns and go straight for C++ rather than Python or MEL.

zoharl
07-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Maya docs can be improved, but I found them good enough to get on top of things. Find yourself an objective, select the appropriate plugin, and start with an example of it from the devkit.

I wouldn't forgo python (but I would forgo mel). Sometimes the api and python complement each other, and sometimes there are things that can take a lot of lines of api code, giving you much headache, while they can be accomplished with one line of python code. So if appropriate don't hesitate to call python from the api.

sciLoop
07-11-2012, 08:05 AM
The only two books are by David Gould.
There are also some API DVDs by Autodesk.
The examples which ship with Maya are quite nice.
Chad Vernon on CGCircuit gives an API introduction

Skeletor1
07-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks for your advice guys. The Maya API documentation is actually pretty good, but you're right there aren't a lot of books out there or documentation for that matter.

I've run in to a problem, as you always do with this stuff! Using Visual Studio 2010 Express I successfully compiled the helloWorldCmd project found in the devkit folder, but when I try to open it in the plugin manager I get the error "Error: The parameter is incorrect. (helloWorldCmd)".

sciLoop
07-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your advice guys. The Maya API documentation is actually pretty good, but you're right there aren't a lot of books out there or documentation for that matter.

I've run in to a problem, as you always do with this stuff! Using Visual Studio 2010 Express I successfully compiled the helloWorldCmd project found in the devkit folder, but when I try to open it in the plugin manager I get the error "Error: The parameter is incorrect. (helloWorldCmd)".

It was always a problem to compile for Maya with the expresss edition. I have no idea if vs 2010 express can be used for that. Maybe you compiled for x32 and run x64?

Skeletor1
07-11-2012, 09:29 AM
I compiled for x64 and I'm using Maya x64. Is the express edition known not to work well with Maya programming?

sciLoop
07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
I still use vs 2008. With the express version of 2008, its normally not possible to compile for x64. You would have to do some hack. I don`t know if that is changed in 2010. The easiest way would be to invest the 600 or so...

Skeletor1
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I found this video explaining how to make it work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmYJgFaIV6g&feature=plcp

Hello World!

sciLoop
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I found this video explaining how to make it work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmYJgFaIV6g&feature=plcp

Hello World!

Thats great!

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.