PDA

View Full Version : Raycast from MEL Script

faultymoose
07-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm writing a procedural content script based on something I'm working on in Unity (C#). However it requires the ability to do a simple raycast hit test against geometry in the scene. I need to be able to pass a start point, a direction, and have a boolean return true if geometry was hit by the ray.

Is there a built-in Raycast function? I couldn't find anything in the command reference, and I'm not really sure where to start looking into rolling my own.

Some tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated!

zoharl
07-09-2012, 11:30 AM
See if this helps:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=779743

and if you reached the same conclusion then consider this:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1044538

Although in your case I think it might be an overkill, and you might be satisfied with intersection of the objects bounding boxes.
Also for your case I would look into the selection interface, which tells if a click selected an object. You might be able to employ this mechanism to shoot a ray from an arbitrary point.

NaughtyNathan
07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
you could also start by doing a search on this forum. search for rayIntersect.

faultymoose
07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Brilliant, thank you very much!

EDIT: Both of you! Thanks :) I found a couple of threads mentioning "raycast" but not enough to kickstart from.

faultymoose
07-10-2012, 06:08 PM
I've played around with the python code from the first link, and it works perfectly but only if I have a positive ray direction, and in many cases a positive ray origin.

If I create a unit sphere (radius=0.5), set the ray origin at [0,0,0] and the ray direction to [0,1,0], the script returns 1 indicating a ray hit.

If I set any negative values in the ray origin or the ray direction, it gets a bit flakey and doesn't produce expected results (assuming I'm expecting the right results...)

For example, setting the ray origin at [0,1,0] and the ray direction to [0,-1,0], the script returns 0.

zoharl
07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
First I would appreciate if you don't invent new definitions. Unit sphere means radius=1 (wiki).

Second, you have this line:

result = int(fmod(len(hitFaces), 2))

which I assume means return the modulus of the number of faces that were hit and 2. Meaning odd return true, even return false. Sounds familiar? Right, this script checks if a point is inside a mesh. I think that something such as

result = hitFaces

would get you what you want. But I'm only guessing, so let me know if you want me to actually check this.

faultymoose
07-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Thanks for pointing out the modulus. That was the problem.

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2012, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.