PDA

View Full Version : The New CG School on the Block

Rexonox
07-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Hello everyone,

Firstly, thanks to everyone on this forum for taking time out of their own lives to post their experiences and findings to help out those that don't have a clue. You have no idea how many times I've visited these forums for support in the past 6 months. So I felt like it was time to give back because I know there are a lot of people who have a very similar situation to mine out there and I hope could help out at least one person with this post.

Now this is a long post I know, but I felt that it was the only way I could get my point across. This post is for anyone struggling to find and settle on good affordable 3D education.

I'm from Cairo, Egypt and I was, thanks to very practically minded parents, "influenced" into getting a bachelors degree in something I currently could not care less about. I was really young and naieve back then and I realize now how much our generation takes life for granted. That aside I graduated and worked for about 1 year and a half and saved up a little bit of money (emphasis on the word "little"). And then I had a "quarter"-life crisis where I began to re-evaluate everything from the purpose of my existence to what it is that I want to do with my life. One thing led to another and I began to remember my love for animation. When I was 11, I got a copy of Macromedia Flash 8 (before Adobe bought them out) and taught myself how to use it and how to animate (way before youtube and the hunreds of millions of easy-access tutorials that are available today). So I decided I want to learn animation and just about everything CG. Thus began my research.

Honestly the extent of my research was rediculous and the amount of schools I looked into is quite staggering, and it's funny when I look back at what I wanted to do only 6 months ago. I wanted to travel half away across the universe to Full Sail, Think Tank and even VFS. But, if you're like me, and do a good amount of background checking on these schools, you'll see that every single student that attends one of these schools says the same thing; "what you put in to it is what you get out of it". Please re-read that last sentence, because it is incredibly important. Furthermore, this problem is compounded by the fact that several students at several schools have said things ranging from their teachers not caring to the fact that there is so much they could have learned via much cheaper sources like online tuts and books. Again, I'm not hating and this isn't an opinion, this is the culmination of months of my research. And it was a HUGE problem for me because I was going to need to take a out a huge loan or something and travel a good distance alone to do this. So I started looking at other options.

Simply put, for someone like me living out here, online education was my only option. So I started looking around and of course animation mentor pops up time and again and at one point I was ready to sell a kidney so I could attend this school. But, again, my research had something else to say. Animation Mentor is great, it's fabulous and sparkly and beautiful and all that other stuff, but, it's got one MASSIVE set back. Other than the fairly high tuition, they have a huge amount of mentors. "Wait, but that's a good thing" is what you're probably thinking right now. No, it turns out it's not because you have no guarentee of getting a great mentor who works at Pixar or Disney (which is what they advertise). A lot of students get mentors who work at studios they might not even have heard of and they might not even have the best English. Again, i'm not hating on anyone, but what I'm saying is that if I'm paying that kind of cash for a service, I don't want to have to struggle to understand my mentor. Plus, you have a mentor who's working full time at a studio and has 30 or more students and needs to pop out around 15 min e-critiques per student per week, that's 7.5 hours of e-critiquing straight (that's if he works constantly and does not stop for a break). So if your mentor is especially busy, you can imagine how great your feedback is going to be. All of this is actually confessions of an ex-mentor who used to work over there. Again, they still provide an great service, but those are just my two cents (if you want to see it for yourself, open up their website and download the curriculum PDF for the 18 month animation program and you can see a list of the mentors).

Things were starting to look grim for me and I was beginning to think I'm going to be stuck in my day job living an unfulfilled life until I came across a post in another forum (the one in kennyroy dot com). It was a a disciple of animation, like me, who had come across a program over at www dot cgspectrum dot com and was talking about how good it was. I jumped on over there, hopeful and excited, and i have to say I liked what I saw (or read that is). I sent them an email and got a reply the next day, and skyped with the founder of the program the day after. You can open up the site to get the details about the program (no sense in reposting here), but what I can tell you is that these guys really really do give a damn about you and your progress. I found the program at the beginning of June and signed up about 10 days later. So you get a sense of CGSpectrum and how much it is that they really care, here's a quick breakdown:

They limit each semester to about 5 students per Mentor.
The mentors, on average, provide you with feedback 3 times per week on your work with one of those times being a live web conference.
If there's something you just can't figure out, they're there to help. For example, I had a problem with one of my Maya files and couldn't understand what was happening. They took my file opened it up, recorded a video and showed me how to solve it. Another student talked about how he couldn't get a character's IK spine to look a certain way, so the mentor took the file, opened it up and showed him EXACTLY how to do it. No other online school does that.
Their mentors are also pros of the industry. My mentor for this semester worked on Avatar, Smurfs, and Tintin amongst other things.
These guys are hooked up around the industry, especially in Vancouver, Canada. They know major studio owners and, if you're in that region, they will take you out on a tour through the studios and introduce you to people you could have only dreamed of meeting.

These guys really do care, they are both mentors and friends. One time, I was late for an assignment and my mentor got worried and sent me an email to check up on me to see how things were going (and this is WHILE he was traveling). Basically, in this very intricate and complex field, you need a good mentor. And the problem today is people believe that they can spend $70,000 to attend a school and they'll be pros (I even used to subconsciously believe this). Reality Check: just because that school has some students that produce awesome reels doesn't mean you will. You have to work your ass off. And if you are like me with not much cash and a burning desire to follow your bliss in life, then online schools are a good solution, and CGSpectrum is one that can provide you with an amazing opportunity. Those guys really helped me out a lot and so I wanted to get their name out there. They are relatively new and steadily growing with a VFX program they'll be starting in September for Houdini. And the guy running that program is one of the lead VFX directors from the Harry Potter movies. They also have other programs in development which include Character Modeling and Lighting and Rendering.

Check them out. They might be what you're looking for. Good luck to all of you on the beginning of your journey and I hope this was helpful.

infinitekills
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Very thorough answer. I am currently attending NOVA south Eastern University for Computer Science and getting a minor in art. I really want to get into programming and art. As for as for My art I just use Video tutorials as I am more visual to learn how to use things. I bought a Zbrush workshop for my full commercial license of Zbrush to learn. I also bout the Human anatomy from another site. Great videos I will post the links. I also Use Photoshop and Blender. I am thinking of getting 3dcoat also. But my main thing here is go for an all around thing you would like to learn. I have a passion for computers and digital art hence why I am going for both of these. I would like to script and make things and do my art. I want o be well rounded.

Right now I keep my modeling as a hobby and art as a hobby since I am busy with school. But by the time I get out I should be advanced in my art work. Know how art works and be able to program for that field also. You have to have a passion for it. I have a big imagination. just like Albert Einsiten said "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."

So to all keep your passion burning and dreams High... You will all make it nothing comes easy. Even if you dont make it to a high end company start something on your own. Brainstorm not one person can come up with everything get help and learn from others. In that I leave the comment.

Links for videos I use to learn my Zbrush and Art.

http://alienthink.com/

Introduction to Zbrush (http://www.zbrushworkshops.com/introduction-to-zbrush.html#)

I also go to conceptart.org they have nice videos in learning some concept art.

Rexonox
07-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Ya man I get you. It's technically one of the easiest things to do on paper, but one of the hardest things to do mentally; following your bliss. The people closest to you (family and sometimes even friends) will call you crazy and can actually be (but not always) the least supportive when you are trying to do something different, something new, something "risky". What people don't seem to realize when they're young is whatever major they end up choosing, they have to work their asses off in order to get "promoted" and do something noteworthy with their lives. So, if you're going to work yourself to the bone one way or another, then why don't you just figure out what it is you love to do and do something with it? All I can say is I'm thankful where I'm at in life and I look forward to every step of the way :)

LOR
07-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Great post, great research. Online is not only financially affordable for many people, it is the only option, and a very good one in cases where the desired training doesn't rely on learning teamwork, pipeline, interdepartmental communication, crew heirarchy, team planning and other advanced skills and knowledge. Remember, being a great VFX or CG artist isn't just about learning your own techniques and software. And you are right, $70,000 for a year of training is absurd. I know there is at least one brand new school in the Vancouver area that teaches all these things and is below 30K for a semester for those who want to go beyond the limits of online.

I know some of the mentors at CG Spectrum, and I highly recommend them. You are privileged if your mentor is Mark Pullyblank.

lor
aka Nicholas Boughen
Visual Effects Supervisor

Rexonox
07-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Of course and I'm not denying that in anyway, learning how to be a functional part of a healthy pipeline is essential. Thankfully I've already received higher education through a 4 year degree in which i worked on large group projects and spent a year and a half working as a financial analyst where i had to learn how to collaborate with every department in the company. So again, I agree completely with you lor in that if someone hasn't received higher education (especially past high school), then a more formal degree is definitely worth it. But, I've got a good amount of experience dealing with people and the collaborative problems that arise. So hopefully I'll be able to learn quick in a studio environment.

Plus, I might as well be living on the moon because where I live I literally have no options whatsoever that don't involve me spending ridiculous amounts of money to traverse the surface of the Earth.

But man did my eyes open up wide when you mentioned Mark haha. Such a small small world :)

LOR
07-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Yes, Mark rocks the house. But don't tell him I told you that.
Just to clarify, I'm totally in favor of distance learning. I have done it myself many times and I think it's a great way to learn, especially for the highly motivated.

Lor

nkr10
07-13-2012, 12:25 AM
I second all of this, I'm a student at CGSpectrum too, and it has been a great experience. The mentor do care about your learning, and they are available to answer your questions in a personal way, get into your Maya files and show you how they would fix the issues you have, but they don't force you to work the way they do, they give you professional advice and encourage you to work in your own way and of course with your own ideas.

And yes, Mark is awesome!! although any mentor there can give you the best training you can ever have!

chewbacca007
07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Agree with all the above...

I too had been looking at online schools. I originally went to school for Graphic Design. But as far as animation and 3D in general I'm self taught with books, DVD's, online tutorials and a couple workshops. I felt like I needed some good specialized training, on top of what I have been doing on my own, would give me the extra knowledge, skills and a strong foundation to give me good command of animation. After reading what they had to offer I contacted them and one of the founders got back to me quickly to discuss the questions I had. So here I am now.

I've learned so much just within the first weeks. I feel like missing pieces of knowledge are clicking to place. Stuff you just can't get out of books and DVD's alone. They will show you how things are done. If there is more than one way to do something then they will say to use what works best for you. As long as the outcome is on target. They take your lesson file, open it and give a video critique while they work on your file. Showing you options, different approaches or what needs to be done to improve it.

I feel like finding CG Spectrum is like I now have the Marauder's Map (I know... what a dork) but if you know what that map is guess what? ;O)

I don't recall how I found about them but I'm glad I did.

-=Chris
Super excited and re-energized about moving forward in my animation training and knowledge.

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.