PDA

View Full Version : Efficient cinematic lighting DVD software choice?

MisterS
07-09-2012, 02:50 AM
I recently purchased the above Gnomon DVD - the instructor uses Maya and I figured I can usually follow Maya tutorials in 3DS Max.

The topic talks a lot about lighting and demonstrates some cool uses of Area lights to create nice lighting setups that render quickly i.e no GI or FG, but simply using area lights to add fake bounces etc to get the desirable result.

Any ideas which Max lights would be used that are the equivalent to Maya's area lights?

I tried the standard lights along using the Area light option. I tried this in combination with adjusting the light's Falloff/field to 180degress trying to somehow mimick Maya's area lights which look pretty straightforward to use. It was very cumbersome to acheive a result which wasn't the desired result.

I then tried the photometric area lights whuch were too intense without the controls I was after for a faked lighting scene.

Is this the time to start learning Maya? My company has this as well as Max and I'm often finding that some features are better implemented into Maya.

MisterS
07-09-2012, 06:56 AM
My bad - I overlooked the option to adjust the falloff shape - as well as the area light shape. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2012, 06:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.