PDA

View Full Version : ragdoll tutorial

smileyPotato
11-27-2003, 07:42 PM
are there any tutorials for ragdoll in reactor?

i'm trying to learn it pretty quickly so any additional help is welcome.

lulaassassina
11-27-2003, 07:45 PM
check this:

http://mtlstream02.discreet.com/streaming/ms/ragdoll_150k.wmv

smileyPotato
11-28-2003, 01:43 AM
thank you for your quick response, but i should have mentioned i've seen those tutorials already..

i'm looking to just use the ragdoll physics to have various dummies dropping from the sky and hitting the ground. my tests with it so far all have varied results, and i can't seem to figure out all the elements that control the ragdoll and the scene.

i have the least idea about creating animation, rather than previewing; it seems i don't know enough to make the actual animation work.

any help is much appreciated.. thanks again

lulaassassina
11-29-2003, 10:18 AM
this is me thinking, know, never worked with ragdolls.

Have you tried to animate a position and then using reactor? Ragdoll is a reactor function, It should work with it. Or then again, if the preview window does it in real-time, just by dragging the biped, is it possible to record that preview?

Hoping this helps.
:beer:

Ronin123
04-16-2005, 07:45 PM
In this video tutorial he uses a script to create this ragdoll and then its ready, but how do i create a ragdoll without the script or where can i get that script. can someone explain the ragdoll functions i detail???

Thx

bardur
04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi

First you pick the run script button and there you select a script called somthing with "Doll" or "Ragdoll"i donīt remember but from there on itīs just staight forward! OK...

hope it was any help!

regards
Bardur

LonTree
05-05-2005, 04:35 PM
yes. MAXScript - Run Script - select a path 3dsmax7/scripts/rctRagdollScript.ms
that should do. there:
Create humanoid tab - Create Humanoid
Constrain Humaniod tab - Constrain Humanoid
create a floor below the figure. this script will create the Rigid Body Collection. click on this collection and add the floor object. then go to reactor tab in utilities, click your floor and check the Properties - set Use Mesh.
ready to preview.
also, in the preview window, after you press P and the animation is played, you can have fun by right-click-dragging the ragdoll and releasing it.
fun is fun, but setting the ragdoll is the task. so a couple things to remember:
1) you can constrain the biped (if you want your biped to play a bip file and fall as ragdoll at some moment, then in Preview and Animation in reactor tab in utilities set the start frame to desired one)
2) you should be accurate about world units and gravity. check out the World in reactor tab. it'll be very important for your simulation's accuratness
3) mind that the default ragdoll's parts are all 10 kg mass. when you use this for human, that's unaccurate and produces weird results, since the real hands/feet/head are different in mass, not 10 kg each =)
4) also play a little with elasticity/friction in Properties of reactor tab. that's important for your floor, too
5) you should have this script i'm talking about. if now, yell for help =) we're here

luck!

SoLiTuDe
05-08-2005, 08:46 AM
k... I know how to use the ragdoll script and utility... but my question relates to using it with a biped. Using catools it's real easy to use ragdoll with the parametric motion or with keyframed animation. In catools it's done just by animating layer weights, which is really nice. But how do I do it with character studio? The only thing i can think of is to create clips for everything and then use the motion mixer to blend between the two or something... which is a lot more work than it needs to be imho. Any ideas? I want to go from say biped--footsteps--to ragdoll-- to keyframe -- back into footsteps... ???

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2005, 08:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.