PDA

View Full Version : which of these cards would you choose?

DanConnor
07-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm configuring a Boxx 4920 system, and am trying to come up with the right display card. I'm primarily a 3ds max user, although I spend some time in photoshop, after effects, zbrush etc as well.

I currently have it configured with a quadro 4000, but based on recent reading here maybe the geforce gtx 570 would be a better bet. I think the Quadro 5000 is more than I want to spend. Here's the choices:

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670 2GB
ATI Fire Pro V5900 2GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 1.2GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 580 1.5GB
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680 2GB
ATI Fire Pro V7900 2GB
ATI Fire Pro V8800
NVIDIA Quadro 5000 2.5GB

Byteman3D
07-15-2012, 08:52 AM
My personal opinion : Do not fall into the Quadro trap and pay a fortune to a card that doesn't perform "more-than-negligable" if 3ds max is your primary concern. Of course this recommendation is as of today. Things may change in time. Just know that this is all about money.

They do produce a bike from a production facility for fast riders, and there is also a great customer mass that don't have the money for a fast bike. Why would they spend any effort to create a different bike for them? They just slow the fast bike -by any possible ways- then sell the same bike to the lower profit mass. Eventually a bike is always a bike. The slight performance difference in a racin bike is necessary only to a racer, not for ordinary people. You can make speed with an ordinary picnic bike as well.

This is exactly the same:

First time quadros were even pure identical GPUs. I remember breaking a 10 k resistor on a Geforce MX card and soldering a 10k resistor on a different path, making the card recognized as quadro Mx. The 10 percent factory set frequency difference on the Quadro model was even not noticable, but you could increase the clock speed as well. Being recognized as Quadro, the driver was letting you :

-to see fog in the viewport
-to turn on hardware antialiasing (was never practical even on official quadro)
-turn on triangular faces by default, turn off redraws.

I don't personally recommend overclocking much but just want to let you know.

As I've stated above, to make you feel Quadro's are faster, certain 3dsmax settings (like show faces as triangles) are turned on by default. This setting has a great performance difference which you can turn on for another card as well.

- - - ABOUT CHOSING THE RIGHT CARD - - -

First of, you have to know what you can expect from graphics hardware. For now and it has been even worse for years, don't expect any acceleration in 3ds max apart from shading the viewports. What do I mean:

If you're animating, you have modifiers that translate vertices -even a few of them- CPU becomes a bottleneck. (You need a fast cpu there and very frustratingly CPU's aren't getting any faster since Pentium 4 3.x gHz. They only add cores and max viewports do not use them yet.) This is why many people around report their old computers being faster than newer multi core ones, in viewport operations. This is normal.

No graphics card has any effect on modifiers - quadro or not, cpu gets stuck trying to solve a simple bend operation.

Its only how fast you arcrotate your still scene and the differences are even negligable. I'd been using a 512 mb ATI 3xxx graphics card. It is slow but yet could shade several million polygons in a second, further more that million polygons (several thousand objects) again become a bottleneck for the cpu, so before the scene drains the power of the graphics card, CPU has already become dead. A simple selection operation takes 3 times the time it takes in an empty scene.

I have to state once again that this is all about 3dsmax and its use of GPUs.

There are also GPU rendering systems like Iray. If you plan to use one of those, GPUs have great effect on rendering speed there. (ONly Nvidia GPUS support iray)
New Kepler GPUs (GTX6xx's ) do not -yet- support them.

As a summary GTX 570 seems a good choice, but consumes a lot of power. The new Kepler arch. seems a good choice for power efficiency, but currently GPU path is a bit indistinct. If you have time to wait, just wait to see how a gaming Kepler card behaves on iray.

The problem is again the above mentioned "financial mass" issues. The new Kepler architecture tripled the amount of Cuda cores and this drooled many 3d user mouths out there, but at a cost of core frequencies. Rumors say, first gaming Kepler graphics will not be much compute capable.

I personally don't rely on Nvidia much, but did not think the new GTX 670's or 680's would be trash, and bought one GTX 670 and one 680. But don't take it as a recommendation. It is so unclear now.

I just considered my needs: I knew it would work on 3dsmax viewports as any other card - standard shading performance is stated on nvidia site. It is faster than the previous generation. Also I thought advantages of an old iray supporting card (like gtx570) Buying an old generation card for a yet beta software didn't seem a good choice.
When Iray really shows itself with the supporting graphics cards, (which will be more than a year I believe) then it will be time to buy another graphics card.

If you don't have power concerns, 570 is a really good choice. If you have time to wait, you know any card works in max and no card brings miracles, so wait and as I ray support is available on GTXs, I test it and inform you here.

Besdt regards.

CHRiTTeR
07-16-2012, 05:00 AM
GeForce GTX 580

DanConnor
07-16-2012, 11:43 AM
A quick note regarding prices- from Boxx the Quadro 4000 is less than $200 more than the 680- so price there is not that big a concern...

mirkoj
07-16-2012, 11:46 AM
ati HD 7970 is outperforming any nviidia out there even quadro models.
or any 3d work you can safely go with ati over nvidia.
there are couple tests around forum as well feel fre to check them out.

CKPinson
07-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I have even been using the ATI card (5850) in the Mari Trial environment and it's been working as it should, even though it is not officially supported.

ijssel27
07-25-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm configuring a Boxx 4920 system, and am trying to come up with the right display card. I'm primarily a 3ds max user, although I spend some time in photoshop, after effects, zbrush etc as well.

I currently have it configured with a quadro 4000, but based on recent reading here maybe the geforce gtx 570 would be a better bet. I think the Quadro 5000 is more than I want to spend. Here's the choices:

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670 2GB
ATI Fire Pro V5900 2GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 1.2GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 580 1.5GB
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680 2GB
ATI Fire Pro V7900 2GB
ATI Fire Pro V8800
NVIDIA Quadro 5000 2.5GB

for me NVIDIA Geforce GTX 580 1.5GB is also a good choice

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2012, 03:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.