PDA

View Full Version : Pro-sumer grade monitors

Redkatt
07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm looking to buy a new display, replacing my old Eizo S2411W(S-PVA panel). Since i've been very happy with my Eizo display it seems the SX2462W would be a good replacement. However, before making a decision i'd like to get some different opinions. The Eizo is, after all, fairly expensive.

What I want is a general purpose display that gives good color accuracy for photographic work. I'm not a professional but I inted to start a small side buisness doing fine art and fashion photography. It's not something I expect to generate any substantial income, but i'm serious about the results and want to be able to get accurate prints.

Some of the criteria i'm looking for are...

24 inches and up.
Decent response time(like my current panel)
Good sRGB-mode - important!
Wide gamut
Accurate colors
Good contrast/tonality

Oh, and extra plus if I can get it for free. ;)
Seriously though, the Eizo SX2462W should give a good hint about budget here.

olson
07-05-2012, 07:55 PM
For the price I'd consider this too which gives far more space to work with and still covers 100% of sRGB.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=224-9949&ST=Monitors%20Monitor%20Accessories&dgc=ST&cid=72662&lid=1838870&acd=s_pla_dhs:000011,,901pdb6671

Redkatt
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
I have glanced at the Dell U3011 and the screen real estate sure is nice. However, at the prices around here it would cost me as much as a Eizo ColorEdge CG2443(the price difference is about as much as a calibration tool, which comes bundled with the Eizo). Even though both are tempting, albeit strething my budget quite a bit, I prefer better color reproduction over real estate.

olson
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I have glanced at the Dell U3011 and the screen real estate sure is nice. However, at the prices around here it would cost me as much as a Eizo ColorEdge CG2443(the price difference is about as much as a calibration tool, which comes bundled with the Eizo). Even though both are tempting, albeit strething my budget quite a bit, I prefer better color reproduction over real estate.

I guess the pricing is a regional thing. The 30" Dell is almost $400 cheaper here than the Eizo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=789556&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Good luck with whatever you end up getting. :thumbsup:

CKPinson
07-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Agree with Olson- I got a Dell Ultrasharp 24inch IPS 1920x1200- love it. first IPS I've had so I can't compare but I've seen plenty of Apple screens and for the price I'd esily say go Dell.

FYI- google Dell coupon codes- I got mine down 30% plus free shipping at the time- If you can't find any then wait a while- they come out in waves.

Monitor 21 in - 24 in

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24"W Monitor, 24.0 Inch VIS, Widescreen, VGA/ DVI/ DP

Adjust System

Estimated Ship date: 7/6/2012

Update Total
$369.00
Save 15% on Select Dell monitors
Expires Saturday, August 04, 2012 View Details
- $55.35 Remove Coupon
5% off All Dell Branded Electronics & Accessories
Expires Friday, July 13, 2012 View Details
- $15.68 Remove Coupon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3Yr PREMIUM PANEL Ltd. Warranty, 3 yr Advanced Exchange

Product Details

1 $0.00

Sub-total $297.97

Redkatt
07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Yes, I believe there are some regional differences in pricing. For starters, everything is quite a bit cheaper in the US. :(
The difference here between the U3011 and CG243 is around 200$. The Eizo is actually surprisingly competitively priced, being cheaper than the Spectraview. Last time I checked there was a significant difference. Quite a positive surprise, considering the ColorEdge is cheaper than what I paid for my Flexscan...

Looking for coupon codes is a good tip. I'll be sure to check that out!

earwax69
07-06-2012, 12:15 AM
I know a lot of studios that use the Dell 30inch IPS screens. They are a solid and reliable item. And when you go 30inch, you never go back. The 27inch might do the job... it's 600$ here in japan.

Redkatt
07-06-2012, 11:58 PM
The Dell 27 inch monitor looks like a very interesting alternative. Looks like it performs very well in reviews, the size is almost ideal(why the bleeping bleep 16:9 aspect ratio?) and I can't complain about the price. I got to read up a little more on it, but from what i've seen so far it looks really promising.

Redkatt
07-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Darn, they seem to have ruined it with the anti-glare coating. Do you know if such issues are specific to Dell's anti-glare coating, or is it a problem common to all matte panels with a low pixel pitch?

realmISR
07-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm also in the same boat.

I also looked into the 27" dell but people are saying the anti-glare coating is killing it...

So far the best 27" I've found is the Nec pa271w but that's about the same price as the 30" dell.

30" is a bit much for me though...I think 27" is a big enough size, as I do dual monitors. I'm doing dual 24"s right now.

Redkatt
07-07-2012, 10:14 AM
You can find an example of the anti glare coating here:
http://gamesfromwithin.com/big-displays-the-good-the-shiny-and-the-ugly

Looks like dirt or noise to me, and makes the text harder to read. Before dismissing it completely i'll make sure to view it in a store first.

The NEC has some added benefit in that it supports hardware calibration. It's the same panel as the Spectraview, though slightly limited in features and not supposedly hand picked by NEC.

I agree about the size of the 30 inch. I've tried it and while it's really nice to have all that real estate, it is a behemoth. Heck, if I got one of those I would need a new desk as well(okay, I need a new desk anyway, but you get the idea). Plus the heat could get a little annoying in small spaces.

27 inches seems to be just right in terms of size. I find 24 inches to be a bit small sometimes. Not that it bothers me, but I would like to be able to see more of the pictures i'm working with. On the other hand, the bleeping bleep aspect ratio of the 27 inch screens takes away a bit of the usefullness of the added real estate. 240 more pixels vertically is not a huge difference.

I also wonder how the small pixel pitch works for text. There's probably some tweaking needed so it doesn't get too tiny. Dont know if that's a potential problem or not.

CKPinson
07-08-2012, 01:33 AM
27 is 16:9??? the 30 and the 24 are both 16:10 so are you sure about that?

Redkatt
07-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Yep, it's 2560x1440 resolution.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2012, 06:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.