PDA

View Full Version : Need some hardware, got any suggestions

hmc4me
11-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Here is what I am going to be doing so if you know of any good hardware then please post. And if you know of any bundles where I can get harware and high end software together that would be great.

I need to do video capture.

I need a STRONG video card for video editing and animation with Lightwave 8.

I need a good monitor. I want to use plasma tv's if it is of the quality for very high quality video editing.

And I need some mid to high quality video decks and monitors aswell.

I can't put but about $7 or $8 thousand into it so if you can point me in the right direction. I just got a job at a tv station and I want to be using pro type tools at home aswell. We use Adobe products at the tv station so try and pick video boards that work with the Adobe video line.

I also need audio hardware aswell.
Thanks
Anthony Collins

stephen2002
11-27-2003, 06:06 PM
If your budget is only 7-8 thousand then forget Plasma TVs as for the higher quality you need to spend nearly 4 thousand on that alone. You will be in good shape just working off of your computer's monitor or buying a 2nd monitor for it. If you need to check NTSC colors or something similar just buy a cheap television as that is what most people watch on.

As for your system if you are planning for rendering/video compression go for dual CPU, Xeon if you can afford it, AMD if you want to save some cash.

For LightWave (or just about any 3D app) go for a Quadro card if you can afford it, GeForce if not.

Do some searches of this forum and the internet in general.
Many of your questions have already been answered in more detail.

hmc4me
11-27-2003, 07:10 PM
thanks for the reply. I had copy this from another board I had post in and forgot to say. I'm looking for more along the line of pro video and audio hardware.
I've got almost 10 years in computer repair and I've got the pc side covered. Im going to use the new AMD 64 processor.

Thanks for the info on the plasma though. I was going to run 2 monitors and a brodcast monitor if I can't get what I want from plasma. $4000 is not to bad but I guess I can get 2 large monitors for alot less.

MadMax
11-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Editing system (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105187)

this was discussed in this thread, I posted my system there.

You don't want to use a TV to monitor. Get a decent production monitor from 14-20" with 16:9

They can be had from 500.00-700.00 depending on size and if you buy new or used.

hmc4me
11-27-2003, 07:54 PM
thanks for the info.
I was going to use a production monitor if I did not go with plasma.
Most all my work will bo on film and then transfered to dv.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.